Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Our New Family Members

Search this Thread

Old 02 January 2013, 10:09 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Talking Our New Family Members

Here are our new additions to our family.

Old 02 January 2013, 10:21 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 02 January 2013, 10:33 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Although puppies are cute they arnt my favourite breed.. I prefer the white one of the two, what's there names
Old 03 January 2013, 05:29 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobsyUK
Although puppies are cute they arnt my favourite breed.. I prefer the white one of the two, what's there names
Names have not been chosen yet just letting them settle down first and get use to there new surroundings.
Old 03 January 2013, 05:57 AM
edsel
Scooby Regular

Nice pair of puppies!

I have two Staffies, I hope you dont mind a bit of chaos in your life
Old 03 January 2013, 06:08 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by edsel
Nice pair of puppies!

I have two Staffies, I hope you dont mind a bit of chaos in your life
Tell me about it!!!I've had staffs before so know how hypo they are but when it comes to loyalty and friendly dogs you can't beat them they are mixed though as it seems you can really get a 100% breed unless you get it from reputable breeder,the brindle one is staff and American pitball mix seen and know both parents good dogs with kids,and the white one is staff and American bulldog mix,he is small now but he's going to be a big dog you should see his parents.
Old 03 January 2013, 06:55 AM
adamb87
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lovely dogs which have completely the wrong reputation. look stunners them two
Old 03 January 2013, 06:58 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by adamb87
Old 03 January 2013, 09:21 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

I bet the nails on the wee black one are sharp as hell.
Old 03 January 2013, 09:49 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Very cute. They do have a bad rep mainly due to the stereotypical tracksuit wearing owners. One of my ex’s had a brindle one that was more likely to lick you to death than anything else.

My wife and I were looking at getting at dog but doesn’t fit in with our lives currently. So we opted to adopt 2 kittens from a local Rescue Centre and collect them on Saturday. A few puppies and kittens turned up over Xmas as unwanted presents. Unbelievable that in this day & age that people still buy pets as “surprise” presents.
Old 03 January 2013, 11:16 AM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by stonejedi
Tell me about it!!!I've had staffs before so know how hypo they are but when it comes to loyalty and friendly dogs you can't beat them they are mixed though as it seems you can really get a 100% breed unless you get it from reputable breeder,the brindle one is staff and American pitball mix seen and know both parents good dogs with kids,and the white one is staff and American bulldog mix,he is small now but he's going to be a big dog you should see his parents.
Just out of interest why did you not buy from a reputable breeder then and get pure staff? I don't understand why anyone would want dogs that have any part American Pitbull in their bloodlines.
Old 03 January 2013, 12:15 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by An0n0m0us
Just out of interest why did you not buy from a reputable breeder then and get pure staff? I don't understand why anyone would want dogs that have any part American Pitbull in their bloodlines.
To be honest price really and I knew the breeding dogs and as much as the brindle ones dad is full American pit it is the most placid and calm dog you could ever meet,if you have experience with these kinds of dogs you would know that the bad name that they have is brought on by bad owners who train the dogs so that their natural instincts that make them in to the terrior breed comes out,you can train any dog from a pit ball to a chihuahua dog to be aggressive.we are a familY with young children my youngest being four years old and all the dogs do is lick my kids to death and that's how I will make sure they stay.

Last edited by stonejedi; 03 January 2013 at 12:20 PM.
Old 03 January 2013, 12:27 PM
dukeoffenland
Scooby Regular

brindle one looks like my staff cross, he is a lovely dog couldnt ask for better
Old 03 January 2013, 01:13 PM
Carlh
Scooby Regular

lovely looking pups
Old 03 January 2013, 01:28 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by adamb87
Which could be down to the fact that whenever there is a child killed or attacked it's usually this type of dog involved. Just saying that's all.
Old 03 January 2013, 01:29 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Carlh
lovely looking pups
Thanks
Old 03 January 2013, 01:30 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip
Which could be down to the fact that whenever there is a child killed or attacked it's usually this type of dog involved. Just saying that's all.
Read post 12.And just one more thing I would like to add is when I was growing up in the 1970's the german Shepard which the police use and is one of the most intelligent dogs in my opinion as I have also had one,was in the news paper every week for biting children a dogs behaviour will always come down to how the owner trains them.there is alot of dogs out there which are being mistreated and abused as I'm typing this reply,as humans get disturbed by getting Ill treated,the same applies more so to animals.

Last edited by stonejedi; 03 January 2013 at 01:45 PM.
Old 03 January 2013, 01:31 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dukeoffenland
brindle one looks like my staff cross, he is a lovely dog couldnt ask for better
That's my wife's one you've made her smile as everyone likes the little White one best.

Last edited by stonejedi; 03 January 2013 at 01:34 PM.
Old 03 January 2013, 01:37 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Good luck with those two. They look lovely!

Les
Old 03 January 2013, 01:45 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Good luck with those two. They look lovely!

Les
Why thank you les
Old 03 January 2013, 02:18 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

all the dogs do is lick my kids to death
Lets hope not

It's funny though that most dogs involved in attacks are said to be "lovely" or "great with kids"
before they actually attacked anything. I'm sure yours are lovely though and will remain so.
Old 03 January 2013, 02:26 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Lets hope not

It's funny though that most dogs involved in attacks are said to be "lovely" or "great with kids"
before they actually attacked anything. I'm sure yours are lovely though and will remain so.
Its like anything in life mate if you have a healthy mental state and shown love and respect nine times out of ten you'll grow just the same,thanks for your optimism
Old 03 January 2013, 03:55 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

behaviour will always come down to how the owner trains them.
This is not 100% true unfortunately. Yes training shapes a dog and it's behaviour towards its owners and others however it does not have any affect on any underlying 'triggers' that dog may have or any psychological defects in it's character.

To give an example, a yellow Labrador at a dogs home I once helped out at looked and acted as lovely as any other Labrador you would meet. However the reason he was in there is because his trigger/point at which he lost control was if his ears were rubbed and it touched a certain point. His owner found that out when the dog mauled his face off after rubbing the dogs ears and unknowingly hitting that trigger. He refused to have the dog destroyed but it was destined to live the rest of it's life in the dogs home as it wasn't safe to be rehomed.

I am a firm believer that all dogs have a trigger where they will react in an extremely negative way but thankfully the majority of dogs never have that trigger activated due to it taking something very severe to find it.

These dogs that have all of a sudden gone from being one of the family and great with kids to then mauling a child have had their trigger activated, most likely by a certain pitch of noise the child has made making the dog attack the child.

It is only my stance on how it works and others will rubbish it however from the dogs I have grown up with and then owned myself and also ones I have helped look after at a dogs home I come to that opinion through my own experiences and how i've seen dogs react to certain situations.

I have 2 Labradors who are utterly amazing with my children and treat my 2 year old as if he was a puppy of theirs licking him and guarding him etc. However I would never leave any of my children on their own in a room with either of my 2 dogs as no dog however much you think they are great with children are 100% trustworthy. Training does not come into it in that respect.
Old 03 January 2013, 04:00 PM
dukeoffenland
Scooby Regular

That's my wife's one you've made her smile as everyone likes the little White one best.
mines been raised as a family dog from a rescue centre, our baby is 10 months old and he is fantastic , i would never trust a dog but he is soft as anything!
Old 03 January 2013, 04:13 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

This is not 100% true unfortunately. Yes training shapes a dog and it's behaviour towards its owners and others however it does not have any affect on any underlying 'triggers' that dog may have or any psychological defects in it's character.

To give an example, a yellow Labrador at a dogs home I once helped out at looked and acted as lovely as any other Labrador you would meet. However the reason he was in there is because his trigger/point at which he lost control was if his ears were rubbed and it touched a certain point. His owner found that out when the dog mauled his face off after rubbing the dogs ears and unknowingly hitting that trigger. He refused to have the dog destroyed but it was destined to live the rest of it's life in the dogs home as it wasn't safe to be rehomed.

I am a firm believer that all dogs have a trigger where they will react in an extremely negative way but thankfully the majority of dogs never have that trigger activated due to it taking something very severe to find it.

These dogs that have all of a sudden gone from being one of the family and great with kids to then mauling a child have had their trigger activated, most likely by a certain pitch of noise the child has made making the dog attack the child.

It is only my stance on how it works and others will rubbish it however from the dogs I have grown up with and then owned myself and also ones I have helped look after at a dogs home I come to that opinion through my own experiences and how i've seen dogs react to certain situations.

I have 2 Labradors who are utterly amazing with my children and treat my 2 year old as if he was a puppy of theirs licking him and guarding him etc. However I would never leave any of my children on their own in a room with either of my 2 dogs as no dog however much you think they are great with children are 100% trustworthy. Training does not come into it in that respect.
I always respect others experiences but I am very knowledgeable with dogs haven have them since I was a boy,as you said dogs have triggers but what your not saying is how they get the trigger.I also know of a dog who did not like his ears touched but that was because his sick ******* of an owner use to get drunk and put out his **** on the dogs ear lobes,so no disrespect intended but I wil stick to my first statement in that the initial mental state of a dog stems from how a dog is raised and treated.
Old 03 January 2013, 04:42 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Triggers exist in dogs as part of their make up, they aren't derived necessarily through life experiences, they are born with their triggers. I'm just saying that thinking a dog is entirely safe/trustworthy just because you have treated it and trained it well is a dangerous assumption to make when children are involved.

Those people who have had their family pet maul one of their kids thought their dog was safe and trustworthy but learnt a very sad and difficult lesson. No dog whatever their training should ever be left alone with a child.
Old 03 January 2013, 05:00 PM
edsel
Scooby Regular

I would be very careful of telling the world I own a pitty, even if its as soft as a lamb and has no history of agression it can be siezed. It only has to be of "type" type is the description of dogs in the DDA (Dangerous dogs act)
A staffy lab cross would fit the description perfectly and plenty have been siezed and destroyed.
The white pup is beautiful and no doubt she will be a great dog but the brown nose and blue eyes will get her into trouble if a dog warden sees her

These two points are of type, if she grows up muscular and tall above 16" at the shoulder she could be taken from you.

The brindle stands a better chance of "He's a staffy cross officer"

Good luck with them, they are very nice dogs but you will need to be the perfect responsible owner

How do I know about the DDA? Ive worked with Staffy rescue for years. People ocall us asking to rehome thier Staffy, when I go to asess the dogs im often presented with a pb type. Theres no way I can help them I'm afraid

Last edited by edsel; 03 January 2013 at 05:02 PM.
Old 03 January 2013, 05:01 PM
edsel
Scooby Regular

Triggers exist in dogs as part of their make up, they aren't derived necessarily through life experiences, they are born with their triggers. I'm just saying that thinking a dog is entirely safe/trustworthy just because you have treated it and trained it well is a dangerous assumption to make when children are involved.

Those people who have had their family pet maul one of their kids thought their dog was safe and trustworthy but learnt a very sad and difficult lesson. No dog whatever their training should ever be left alone with a child.
Agree
Old 03 January 2013, 05:05 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

As i said i respect your opinion but you must understand any living thing reacts to something.a child can not control a full grown dog but a dog that grows with a child and is part of it's life also acknowledges that fact.humans can be more untrustworthy then certain animals you wont get a dog pick up a bag full of guns and go on a shooting spree.so I'll carry on being the kind of responsible dog owner I can be.so on that trigger conversation I will agree to disagree with you,but your comments have been welcome and a different perspective to view dog ownership.
Old 06 January 2013, 04:32 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Lets hope not

Its funny how often that can happen with humans too!

Les