Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Intruder in our house. Very strange scenario....

Search this Thread

Old 16 December 2012, 09:46 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Intruder in our house. Very strange scenario....

Well my family and I can't quite figure this one out and now we are pretty afraid. We live in a big farmhouse out in the countryside, with flood lights and fully working CCTV all over our farm.

My Father was the only person in the house (my Mother was out and I was on my way back home). Basically, Dad sitting in his office with the door slight ajar and he heard something in our kitchen. He went over to his door and as soon as he grabbed the handle, this man grabbed the office door handle at the same time and tried to push in. Obviously my Father yelled in fright and he said there was about 10 seconds of pulling and pushing on the office door and then it stopped. He peered round the door and the man said "I'm here to get you" and then ran out through the kitchen back door. Apparently he was wearing gloves and some sort of face covering scarf. My Dad then scrambled for a couple of minutes to open up the gun safe and then went outside with the rifle and torch but couldn't see anything, so he fired a shot into the air.

We have checked all CCTV footage and there is no sign of any cars, no flood lights coming on... All very strange. We think he must have come across the fields, and then ran back over the fields or something, but it all seems odd. My Father rang our closest neighbour 10mins after it all happened and he drove down the country lanes but no car waiting or anything.

Usually we are all in the house but it just happened to be just my Father here. The house was fully lit, lots of room lights on so this man would have probably come in even if we were all here anyway. Also we don't have any enemies lol. Just goes to show that literally anything can happen these days. We aren't sure whether he was an opportunist and got scared off, or wanted to scare someone/us? But who would come all that way over the fields? Also no wet or muddy footprints either. Needless to say, my Dad is sleeping with the rifle tonight.

EDIT: 3 men seen running away from our property caught on CCTV at 18:40. Very scary to see this. The man that entered our house and approached my Dad was at 19:45. So we do not know if there was a 4th who stayed behind, or if another ran back over the fields after they had all left at 18:40? We do not know how they got to our farm because they did not set off any flood lights/CCTV so we think they must have come over the fields?

Last edited by LSherratt; 16 December 2012 at 11:33 PM.
Old 16 December 2012, 09:56 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

How old is your dad? Could it have been a ghost?
Old 16 December 2012, 10:08 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Was going to ask the same (age , not the ghost) a dream , senial moment ?

Is there NO evidence ? Not even muddy footprints etc. ?
Old 16 December 2012, 10:22 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Did he see the face
Old 16 December 2012, 10:24 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RobsyUK
How old is your dad? Could it have been a ghost?
I'm sure he knows what his feckin Dad looks like.
Old 16 December 2012, 10:25 PM
LVC
Scooby Regular

Get a big dog or several - no-one comes near my place (which is very remote) without the dogs going ballistic - much better than any alarm system or CCTV.
Old 16 December 2012, 10:30 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

From your description you need to sort out your security if someone can approach your property without triggering a floodlight or being seen on camera.

Either that or lock up the alcohol until you can be there.

Hope your Father's not too traumatised.

Just to add - CCTV and floodlights are all well and good if you see either from inside the property. As an addition to the 2 I have an audible noise or pre-recorded message control panel letting me know exactly what location (zone) the lights are triggered should someone attempt to enter the grounds. The tones are all different too which helps with identifying odd angles of approach, (like the field). Then there's the dog....
Old 16 December 2012, 10:33 PM
gripper2k12
Scooby Regular

Sounds strange if some one has entered the house with out showing on any cctv or switching any flood lights on would suggest to me hes been there before you had any one round your place acting suspiciously i.e trying to sell some thing or is lost
Old 16 December 2012, 10:37 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Hope your Dad is ok LS.
Old 16 December 2012, 10:38 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spoon
From your description you need to sort out your security if someone can approach your property without triggering a floodlight or being seen on camera.

Either that or lock up the alcohol until you can be there.

Hope your Father's not too traumatised.

Just to add - CCTV and floodlights are all well and good if you see either from inside the property. As an addition to the 2 I have an audible noise or pre-recorded message control panel letting me know exactly what location (zone) the lights are triggered should someone attempt to enter the grounds. The tones are all different too which helps with identifying odd angles of approach, (like the field). Then there's the dog....

Spoon, how have you done this?

Thanks
Old 16 December 2012, 10:38 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Was it a mate putting on a prank
Old 16 December 2012, 10:49 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
Spoon, how have you done this?

Thanks
Used a Dygizone connected to my floodlights and my cameras, triggered by Opal PIRs. Infrared beams are also available. http://www.gjd.co.uk

My cameras move at something like 120degrees a second should they not be focused on the point of trigger at the time.
Old 16 December 2012, 10:54 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

We have spent a long time reviewing the CCTV footage and we have captured 3 men triggering a flood light and running away from our property. We can't work out how they got here though, and if there was a 4th man who stayed behind who approached my dad. Very scary to see 3 men on camera and we have reported to the police.

We think there could have been a car waiting up our lane to pick them up, but it still doesn't make a lot of sense.

Last edited by LSherratt; 16 December 2012 at 11:03 PM.
Old 16 December 2012, 10:55 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Any previous signs of brain problems or is he on any medication?
Old 16 December 2012, 10:59 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

My Dad is 53, healthy and sane...
Old 16 December 2012, 11:04 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

How did he get in the font door?
Old 16 December 2012, 11:07 PM
97TURBO
Scooby Regular

Take turns at keeping watch on the house from an outside location, with rifle in hand.
Old 16 December 2012, 11:08 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Back door was unlocked. Yes I know we should lock and we are from now on. But we live on a farm and never thought twice about leaving doors unlocked when someone is in with all lights on.
Old 16 December 2012, 11:09 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LSherratt
We had spent a long time reviewing the CCTV footage and we have captured 3 men triggering a flood light and running away from our property. We can't work out how they got here though, and if there was a 4th man who stayed behind who approached my dad. Very scary to see 3 men on camera and we have reported to the police.

We think there could have been a car waiting up our lane to pick them up, but it still doesn't make a lot of sense.
Time for a security upgrade for the early warning you should have. While you're at it get a decent DVR to take away the need to trawl through hours of footage and instead allow you to go straight to the scene required. Plus it'll email your phone to inform you to view it and act upon it wherever you are.

Extra money I know but this country isn't going to get any better.
Old 16 December 2012, 11:11 PM
97TURBO
Scooby Regular

Back door was unlocked. Yes I know we should lock and we are from now on. But we live on a farm and never thought twice about leaving doors unlocked when someone is in with all lights on.
To be honest it wouldnt matter if it were locked, by the sounds of it they were intent on getting in.
Old 16 December 2012, 11:12 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Our CCTV wasn't exactly cheap. All gates on our farm are alarmed as well.
Old 16 December 2012, 11:13 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Small flock of geese will do the trick. dl

Edit to say. Should be gaggle of geese

Last edited by David Lock; 17 December 2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old 16 December 2012, 11:15 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 97TURBO
To be honest it wouldnt matter if it were locked, by the sounds of it they were intent on getting in.
It matters an awful lot. Any early warning, in this case noise banging a door in, simply allows for a 999 call and time to arm oneself for an assassination of scum should he gain uninvited entry.
Old 16 December 2012, 11:16 PM
saints_forever
Scooby Regular

Did he actually phone the police...?? Might be worth them knowing. And do you have any watch type schemes in your area, like farm watch (don't laugh, those type of things exist)? If there's someone going around your area it might be worth others knowing as well, plus you might find out some info yourself if it happens to someone else!!

But as said above, re-look at your security and keep your door locked, some people are b*****ds!!
Old 16 December 2012, 11:16 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

stick a load of bear traps in the field
Old 16 December 2012, 11:17 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Our CCTV wasn't exactly cheap. All gates on our farm are alarmed as well.
Cheap, expensive, it means nothing if it isn't very good.
Old 16 December 2012, 11:21 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

I reckon someone will have seen something these guys , you don't go to middle no where uninvited
Old 16 December 2012, 11:24 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

We have phoned the police and they have come out to have a look but there is only so much they can do. We are a member of the countryside watch and have signs all over the place. We have proper CCTV signs all over the place as well. Our CCTV system is very good, but there's no way you can make out faces of 3 men running away, only lit up by a flood light 10 metres away. We have a camera facing the front of our house but the man came in through the back. To get to the back you have to walk down the lane. This is where we have seen the 3 men running away up the lane, but don't know how they got there. We think over the fields?
Old 16 December 2012, 11:30 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

We have phoned the police and they have come out to have a look but there is only so much they can do. We are a member of the countryside watch and have signs all over the place. We have proper CCTV signs all over the place as well. Our CCTV system is very good, but there's no way you can make out faces of 3 men running away, only lit up by a flood light 10 metres away. We have a camera facing the front of our house but the man came in through the back. To get to the back you have to walk down the lane. This is where we have seen the 3 men running away up the lane, but don't know how they got there. We think over the fields?
From your own description your CCTV is useless. Can't you see that?
Old 16 December 2012, 11:35 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Yes, it's useless in this situation, but I do not see how any outdoor CCTV could help unless we have new smaller cameras mounted directly above our front and back door... at the end of the day, CCTV isn't going to do anything or stop someone. They are wearing face covering clothes/scarfs so all useless.

Quick Reply: Intruder in our house. Very strange scenario....