Thinking of buying a Nespresso machine

Search this Thread

Old 15 December 2012, 08:55 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of buying a Nespresso machine

Hello all,
As above really, I notice you can now get ones with a milk heater also. I don't want to spend more than £200 on one so my question is which one is the best to get?

I looked at the Starbucks machine but the general consensus is even though it makes good coffee, the capsules are very expensive.

Mike
Old 15 December 2012, 09:01 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

What are you talking about, they're nothing like this price
Old 15 December 2012, 09:03 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

OK I get. That includes a couple months worth capsules
Old 15 December 2012, 09:12 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

LOL ok if they are cheaper then that's tidy. I thought I saw a couple for £160 but I may be wrong on that
Old 15 December 2012, 09:14 PM
steve ex vauxhall
Scooby Regular

Go for it mate, don't know if they are any good, but it will keep me in a job
Old 15 December 2012, 10:44 PM
scud8
Scooby Regular

I've got one of the Krups Pixie ones, with an Aeroccino for hot, frothy milk (http://www.johnlewis.com/231706522/Product.aspx). Works really well, and me and the kids love the coffee.

Buy some bicarb of soda at the same time - you tend to get scorched milk on the bottom of the aeroccino after a few uses, and bicarb of soda is the best stuff for getting it off.
Old 15 December 2012, 11:07 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

What's wrong with instant coffee, a pint of milk, and a kettle?

I've always been put by these machines due to the capsule cost.
Old 16 December 2012, 11:39 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

I have a Bosch Tassimo, works great for me.
Old 16 December 2012, 11:54 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by IWatkins
What's wrong with instant coffee, a pint of milk, and a kettle?
If it's anything like the stuff we get at work, it looks and tastes like something a major oil company has scrubbed off a cormorant. No thanks.
Old 16 December 2012, 03:40 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

I had an expensive bean to cup machine in the office for a couple of years. Anyway earlier this year I got to drink a few cups from a Nespresso machine and was so impressed I moved the B2C to my kitchen at home and now have a Nespresso at work.

I have perhaps 2 or 3 cups a day. But pods direct from the Nespresso club site.

Try them all and then you can order your faves later. I like to have a 10 in the morning to wake me up and then a 3 or 4 in the afternoon.
Old 16 December 2012, 04:11 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

AVOID star bucks! Tax avoiding scum!!!! Your best bet is go onto www.which.co.uk and see the reviews. They did an online review of the coffee machines a few months back and posted it on youtube. IIRC the best one was £160 from John Lewis.

I find with these machines you get a tiny cup. I have an oldschool perculater and its fantastic!
Old 16 December 2012, 06:41 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

My Nespresso machine was £100 in JL clearance, and then there was £40 of JL vouchers sent out a month later making it effectively £60. Pods direct from Nespresso are the cheapest.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/magi...presso-1386657

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/magi...-59-97-1375353 (get the Aeroccino from Nespresso for £46)
Old 16 December 2012, 07:06 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.nespresso.com/uk/en/produ...-magimix-white

we got that one from JL, £40 voucher back once you register. Ours cost around £170 at the time

We put the £40 against the capsules
Old 16 December 2012, 07:13 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

Many thanks all, Swiss got the same as you (well different colour but same model) then got a capsule bundle for 45 quid.

Mike
Old 16 December 2012, 07:53 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mike1210
Many thanks all, Swiss got the same as you (well different colour but same model) then got a capsule bundle for 45 quid.

Mike
it is a good model. Little tip

If you get the flashing red light ( nespresso version of the RROD ) dont panic, it just means that milk has burnt to the bottom of the frother. Scrape it off with your fingernail and a good clean and it will stop flashing.
Be careful of the max fill lines when using the cappuccino paddle, too high and the milk come flying out
Old 17 December 2012, 09:51 AM
Graz
Scooby Regular

I've got one of these bad boys:
Amazon Amazon

Makes a really nice latte at the touch of a button
Old 17 December 2012, 05:47 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a PIXIE which I think cost about 100 notes.
Nespresso caps work out at 30p each, which for a cup of decent coffee, is fine by me.
I used to have milk in my coffee, but this machine is so good, that I just have it black now.
Old 20 December 2012, 10:50 AM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

We have the Magimix Nesspresso with the milk heater /frother.

Great bit of kit. My only gripe is the capsules are mail order only. You cant nip to the shops and buy some. That said, delivery is next day so not too bad. Range of coffee available is good too.
Old 20 December 2012, 11:31 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Du know these people, not for the last week actually, have called me every day presumably trying to flog me more capsules/ get some feedback

I bought machine months ago,didn't pick their call ( i never pick 0800 etc ) ,found out who was calling on the net
Old 20 December 2012, 05:52 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

I have a Krups Essenza which just does coffee. Dont like the extra worktop space the frothers take up. If I was getting a new one the Pixie or U look best.

Most of the lower strength capsules lack in flavour imho so I stick to Ristretto (black, Arpeggio (purple) and Roma (grey). Dont waste your time on ebay as they are pricier. If you order 200+ at a time you get free delivery. I bulk buy with lads at wirk.
Old 20 December 2012, 06:15 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

Buy 400 capsules this month and you get a free Aeroccino +, it does say while stocks last though so not guaranteed.
Old 20 December 2012, 06:41 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

I've been looking for a couple of years for a coffee machine. originally I was put off by the cost of the Nespresso pods. So I looked at a bean to cup as that 'can' work out at a third of the cost of a pod. However not only are the BTC not so quick and easy to use but even beans quickly oxidise and lose their flavour but ground coffee starts to oxidise within hours of being exposed to the air. Much ground coffee gets thrown away. So all in all I know believe that the Nespresso pod is the best. The club is great and the range of coffees is amazing.
So I got a Krups machine with a built in milk frother, I just love it, cant rate it highly enough. Go do it. One tip though is warm the cups with hot water before using them.
Old 20 December 2012, 06:49 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Nice pitch
Old 20 December 2012, 07:49 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Get a handpresso and an aero latte milk frothier. Heat milk, make espresso, froth milk. It's not absolutely the perfect flat white/latte but its damn close, takes a couple of minutes, no mess.

I've been researching machines for ages and have decided this is the best home option and its well under a ton in price.

Meanwhile our local, award winning coffee shop provides me with cracking flat whites most days ;-)
Old 20 December 2012, 08:00 PM
scooby(puppy power)
Scooby Regular

i have a nespresso which i bought of another member here when he moved to france about 7 years ago, think i gave him £50 for it absolute bargain still going strong lots of different capsules for everyones taste,

this thread reminds me i need to get online and order some more, or take a trip to the traford center as they have a store in there now
Old 20 December 2012, 08:47 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Matteboy - each to their own but I personally can't stand milky coffee's. The only way a latte is passable is if you have 2-3 shots of espresso in it.

Some will say Tassimo as you buy the pods in supermarkets but I've tried them and just lack any punch and are again focused on the milky type coffees.

Nespresso is not perfect and a decent coffee shop will serve better. But in terms if convenience and consistency I don't think you can go wrong.
Old 20 December 2012, 08:51 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by r32
I've been looking for a couple of years for a coffee machine. originally I was put off by the cost of the Nespresso pods. So I looked at a bean to cup as that 'can' work out at a third of the cost of a pod. However not only are the BTC not so quick and easy to use but even beans quickly oxidise and lose their flavour but ground coffee starts to oxidise within hours of being exposed to the air. Much ground coffee gets thrown away. So all in all I know believe that the Nespresso pod is the best. The club is great and the range of coffees is amazing.
So I got a Krups machine with a built in milk frother, I just love it, cant rate it highly enough. Go do it. One tip though is warm the cups with hot water before using them.
I also researched B2C but found that unless your buying a commercial unit they will end up failing in a few months. I also spoke to a few owners who backed up these reviews especially on the krups models. The mess internally from grinding beans just gets everywhere eventually.
Old 21 December 2012, 09:25 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Miele BTC machines have a 10yr warranty, and are alleged to be designed for 20 years of use. My mate has just bought one that's fully automated with cleaning cycles on start-up, shut-down, and a 'power-clean' occasionally, but at £1600 he's gonna be a while before he saves any cash over a Nespresso machine. He didn't even know how to make me a latte when I called 'round though
Old 21 December 2012, 09:29 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic
Matteboy - each to their own but I personally can't stand milky coffee's. The only way a latte is passable is if you have 2-3 shots of espresso in it.

Some will say Tassimo as you buy the pods in supermarkets but I've tried them and just lack any punch and are again focused on the milky type coffees.

Nespresso is not perfect and a decent coffee shop will serve better. But in terms if convenience and consistency I don't think you can go wrong.
It does a great espresso and comes out as a double shot too. I like both, depending on the time of day.
Old 21 December 2012, 09:37 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Miele BTC machines have a 10yr warranty, and are alleged to be designed for 20 years of use. My mate has just bought one that's fully automated with cleaning cycles on start-up, shut-down, and a 'power-clean' occasionally, but at £1600 he's gonna be a while before he saves any cash over a Nespresso machine. He didn't even know how to make me a latte when I called 'round though
A lot of them come with long warranties but I read about people getting frustrated at having to send it back for repairs several times and not getting a temp machine. Maybe Miele are better in that regard - is it an integral unit machine as not sure I have seen Miele standalones?

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying a Nespresso machine