Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Insurance advise anyone?!

Search this Thread

Old 12 December 2012, 06:47 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance advise anyone?!

Any of you know about insurance? After the missus' scrape earlier (she reversed into another BM; a 1 series - light damage to our BM and the BM 1 series she scraped - both rear wheelarch area), she gave our insurance and contact details then took theirs. Do we wait to hear from them? Do we contact our insurers pronto to let them know what happened? If it was just our car, I'd fix it outside insurance but it isn't. She seemed fairly cordial - contact direct and pay for their damage and ours?

Just aware of being bu77 r4ped if we "dare" to claim but if they are claiming anyway, it might be best to get ours sorted via insurance too?! Any ideas?!

Cheers (she also gouged our new California van a month after we got it - we paid for that outside insurance - after nothing since 17 (she's 33) two scrapes in six months!!
Old 12 December 2012, 06:52 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

I beleive a claim is a claim regardless of costs payed out by insurance or that's what I was told, so even if they only claimed for the damage to their car and you did not claim for yours your premium would still raise the same amount next year as if you both claimed for your cars if that makes sense

I'm sure an insurance expert will be along to comment, id be interested to know if that is the case also
Old 12 December 2012, 08:22 PM
scud8
Scooby Regular

Read the T's and C's of your insurance. In most cases you have to notify them of an accident even if you end up paying for repairs yourself, and some insurers have fairly short timescales in which to notify them (some are as short as 48 hours, so don't hang around).
Old 12 December 2012, 08:26 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

You call yours "for information only" at this stage and wait for the claim to be put in.

You can either fix yours or put the claim in. Depends entirely on what your excess is and how small a scrape it really is.
Old 12 December 2012, 08:38 PM
scoobysteve1983
Scooby Regular

as said above, a claim is a claim regardless of cost. (my mate works for admiral) i had an accident where some tool pulled into my path of travel when i was doing 70 and it sheared his brand new 6 series in half apparently (i was unconscious) but even though it was proven to be a 'not at fault' claim for me i still face higher premiums. when i questioned my mate he said it doesnt matter if its a ford or a ferrari. on saying that though, i dont know why insurance companies ask for the cost of any previous claims???
Old 12 December 2012, 10:18 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Five; cheers. As a rough guess I'd say £500 for ours (should just about be panel beat-able), £300 for theirs (deep scuff, silver so an easy colour match). But that really is a guess.

A deep gouge repair on the Cali was £470 which seemed quite reasonable. They did a cracking job too! I may also need to budget for some advanced lessons for the wife!