Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Wireless doorbell

Search this Thread

Old 17 November 2012, 04:08 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wireless doorbell

We had a Byron 100m wireless door chime set which had two plug in sounders, and two wireless buttons which took a CR2032 battery each. With careful positioning so it didn't have to go through too many stone walls, we had an arrangement where deliveries to the workshop or the house would sound in both locations with a tone to tell which but it became unreliable and was replaced with the nearest alternative which had battery powered sounders. These were unreliable too so have gone back.

At only 15m distance although there was not direct line of sight, we couldn't position them where we wanted. We'd have to position them where we could see the person actually arriving!

Are there any products that do work in this situation? The whole area is covered by multiple wifi repeaters, but I have no ethernet or cable near the bell push locations.

Last edited by john banks; 17 November 2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old 17 November 2012, 05:23 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Gave up on wireless, now just have to contend with water getting in the bell push..
Old 17 November 2012, 05:26 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trouble is our front door is part of a arched window and running a cable would look awful.
Old 17 November 2012, 09:56 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go retro. Pull cord to a bell. That's what we had when I was growing up. Also each room in the house had buttons in the dado rail that would ring a bell and flip a sign in a unit in the staff quarters. I think I may reinstall one of those here - although this house is under 20 years old it would be quite useful.
Old 17 November 2012, 10:03 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Except the old way had a wire running around the system to physically ring the bell ? You may aswell just put some bell-wire to a hard wired system , bell-wire is tiny , it cant look that awful !
Old 18 November 2012, 01:00 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I had one but it used to ring whenever I transmitted on my amateur radio!

Les
Old 18 November 2012, 01:34 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

John, wouldn't PIRs with a receiver do the job if you placed the PIR/s just covering the intended area (doorway)? A normal bell could then be fitted for visitors to think it was them that alerted you.

I use several but wired. They are fed into a panel indoors that bleeps if detected in any one of the 4 zones programmed. They are also wired to my PTZs that immediately turn to the zone triggered, whilst recording.

This is the stuff I have used and wireless kits are available in the products drop-down. http://www.gjd.co.uk/products/securi...ting/dygizone/

I have it on good authority that serious security installers use GJD gear because it is quality but I have no experience with the wireless kits to comment on their performance.