Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

DVLA Awkward Or Idiots

Search this Thread

Old 29 October 2012, 06:55 PM
stuart2008sti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DVLA Awkward Or Idiots

Trying to get my private plate off my race bike as am selling it and put on another vehicle.Dvla said you cannot as it is sorned,you will need to tax and insure it to remove it.Problem cannot tax and insure it as I have not got a road bike licence and the bike would have to be put back to road spec,answer from them not our problem.
Old 29 October 2012, 07:32 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Whats a road bike licence?

My brother got his track bike an cutdown MOT, the tester did not believe they existed and said he had never done one in 30 years as a tester

The MOT was only valid during daylight hours as it did not require lights (I think)
Old 29 October 2012, 07:36 PM
scoobynewbie72
Scooby Regular

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum.../dg_069390.pdf
being fair its on the application form about needing the tax details, Id imagine the computer says "NO" as there is no information for them to enter,
looks like they are right.
Old 30 October 2012, 03:51 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It is a requirement that the DVLA have instituted for their own reasons which has an application to vehicles being used on the road.

That does not make them awkward or idiots.

Les
Old 30 October 2012, 06:16 PM
stuart2008sti
Scooby Regular

Les if you read above this is my race bike which has never been on the road and never will,even when I bought it new in 2008.Bike needs an mot but because it is now a race bike cannot be done as will not comply with the law.Without an mot cannot tax it,and have not passed my bike test so cannot insure it for road use.All I want to do is transfer to another vehicle which has tax,mot and insured.
Old 30 October 2012, 06:56 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Leslie
It is a requirement that the DVLA have instituted for their own reasons which has an application to vehicles being used on the road.

Les
Les you've been unusually obtuse recently, something wrong ?
Old 30 October 2012, 07:40 PM
gazzawrx
Scooby Regular

Les
utter sh1te, the dvla are a bunch of useless w4nkers the end. It's another way to take money from people for no real reason. why does a vehicle need tax, mot and insurance to remove a reg, it's a case of inputting data on a computer ffs.

It's just another government run organisation that wants to bleed the motorist dry at every avaliable oppurtunity.
Old 30 October 2012, 07:50 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

How the the bike get the private reg plate in the begining?
Old 30 October 2012, 09:19 PM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs
Road legal when bought new....then stripped for track use
Old 30 October 2012, 09:36 PM
mannyo
Scooby Regular

it has always been a requirement that to transfer a plate from a vehicle it must have a valid MOT and therefore tax and insurance. The reason for this is to stop people buying cheap barn finds or similar just for the plate on the car, it also helps to reduce the number of "ringed" vehicles adopting the ID of another car.

The thing to remember, you do not own the registration plate, when you purchase it you are buying the right to display it on a specific vehicle.
Old 30 October 2012, 09:36 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was the bike registered before the private plate was put on it or was it registered as new on the private plate, As if its the latter it possible it could not be transferable anyway.
Old 30 October 2012, 09:50 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Can't traders get it removed? I.e give it to a trader and get them to remove, sure they have more power but not entirely sure.
Old 31 October 2012, 12:20 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Get a dodgy MOT done then apply for insurance online , You can then order a tax disk and transfer the plate you then have 2 weeks to cancel the online insurance.

DVLA making crime pay
Old 31 October 2012, 02:27 PM
stuart2008sti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs
That is the thing,when I put the plate on a few years back it had no tax or insurance.Asked the dvla about it this week and was told dont know how it happened,well it did.
Old 31 October 2012, 05:47 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I fully understood what you were saying about your racing bike and its plate etc. It was not too difficult to work out really!

The DVLA have their own reasons for requiring the vehicle to be taxed and insured in order to transfer the plate. They make the rules, you have to comply with them. You have no option but to make the bike roadworthy and get the MOT/Tax sorted.

They are in effect doing the motorist a favour in allowing us to buy and transfer private plates. They don't need to do that in order to run the taxation and registration of motor vehicles etc.

Les
Old 31 October 2012, 07:29 PM
stuart2008sti
Scooby Regular

Les I asked them why does it need an mot,tax,insurance to tranfer the plate and was told because it does but did not know the reason.
Old 01 November 2012, 01:11 AM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

I fully understood what you were saying about your racing bike and its plate etc. It was not too difficult to work out really!

The DVLA have their own reasons for requiring the vehicle to be taxed and insured in order to transfer the plate. They make the rules, you have to comply with them. You have no option but to make the bike roadworthy and get the MOT/Tax sorted.

They are in effect doing the motorist a favour in allowing us to buy and transfer private plates. They don't need to do that in order to run the taxation and registration of motor vehicles etc.

Les
They don't do anyone any favours.
The sale and transfer of private plates generates money for the DVLA and hence the state. The irony is that most of these plates only 'mean' anything when they are displayed illegally, a fact that the DVLA are fully aware of.
As for the OP's dilemma, this kind of idiocy sounds typical of the DVLA (or any other state institution), create or change rules under the guise of preventing fraudulent or illegal actions but allow no discretion/flexibility to accomodate those who are not guilty of those actions.
Old 01 November 2012, 01:30 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stuart2008sti
Les I asked them why does it need an mot,tax,insurance to tranfer the plate and was told because it does but did not know the reason.
Yes I certainly sympathise with you but its just that they have the whip hand and you are stuck with it.

I think it is some complicated reason to do with fiddling the ownership of vehicles or something like that.

Not really surprising that the minions can't give you a good reason however. All they have to do is follow orders!

Les
Old 01 November 2012, 01:47 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Les
I know what you mean but it doesn't stop them being idiots and having daft process in place, Les. Doesn't necessarily mean they are idiots either but from my experiences with them I'd go with that
Old 01 November 2012, 02:18 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Well as I understand it they do have a positive reason for those requirements.

Les
Old 01 November 2012, 03:57 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Well as I understand it they do have a positive reason for those requirements.

Les
positive work around for them that benefits them financially rather than a solution