Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

"Weird" Weather

Search this Thread

Old 24 October 2012, 03:01 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default "Weird" Weather

In recent days, I am seeing more and more reports of "weird" weather in the UK in the news and tabloids, BBC, Sky, Guardian, Telegraph, etc. Has the weather really been that "weird"? or are the warmists gearing up for another "this is proof of global warming yada yada..!"? Plus, we having had a global warming thread in ages!
Old 24 October 2012, 03:57 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Typicaly British I would say

4 years ago I remember it snowing heavily in the SE for about 30 minutes at the end of October as I was sorting out my car insurance with the Indian call centre, they ended up putting me on speaker and singing happy birthday to me after they'd worked out it was the same day, most surreal moment ever hearing them singing and then looking out of the window to se it pi$$ing down with snow !
Old 24 October 2012, 04:41 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I saw a few scientists were sent to prison in Georgia? For not adequately forecasting the possibility of a earthquake ( which actually happened in this case)

Yet Al Gore is free to walk the streets
Old 24 October 2012, 04:44 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Really patchy foggy today and my car showing 18c was wearing sunnys & had the aircon on, yet leaves falling off the trees. I'd say it's the world going through it's warm up stage after a long cool down.
Old 24 October 2012, 04:47 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RobsyUK
Really patchy foggy today and my car showing 18c was wearing sunnys & had the aircon on, yet leaves falling off the trees. I'd say it's the world going through it's warm up stage after a long cool down.
Doesn't the 'long cool down' involve an ice age though (not the film!).
Old 24 October 2012, 05:38 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

The global temperature is the same now as it was 16 years ago ie. No warming!
Old 24 October 2012, 06:01 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonc
The global temperature is the same now as it was 16 years ago ie. No warming!
Excellent, disaster averted then
Old 24 October 2012, 06:21 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dpb
I saw a few scientists were sent to prison in Georgia? For not adequately forecasting the possibility of a earthquake ( which actually happened in this case)

Yet Al Gore is free to walk the streets
Italy, 6 years a piece !!
Old 24 October 2012, 06:29 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why is it every year they say its the wettest June in 30 yrs or something like this.You said that the previous year and the year before...
Old 24 October 2012, 06:37 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The UK has some of the weirdest weather anyway, one of the reasons is that we are about the only place that has all 4 climate fronts, Oceanic, Continental, Equatorial and Polar, they have a tendency to converge on the UK as we are a little Island.
I believe there are no other places on the planet that has all 4 climate types and once that lot meet you get dodgy/interesting weather.

Tony
Old 24 October 2012, 06:41 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

all we are getting around here is fog in the morning lasting all day and night and that ****ty misty rain,i think the seasons are getting later tho,for example summer now starts mid june ish untill october and winter seems to go on til the end of march when really that should be spring
Old 24 October 2012, 06:44 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Einstein RA
Doesn't the 'long cool down' involve an ice age though (not the film!).
I know you guys like links to proof but I can't be bothered. There have been several documentries where they drill ice & land and can show that we have just come out of an ice age. 7,000 ago I think...

It will warm and warm and warm until their is so much CO2 that all the water evaporates and causes thick cloud. then a big freeze then back to here...
Old 24 October 2012, 06:54 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Got up this morning in the Limousin region of France, couldn't see more than 50 feet with fog.

By ten o'clock it was blue sky and warm, by mid-afternoon we saw 26 deg

Been lovely the last three days, but not only has it been one of the wettest Octobers on record, but also THE warmest.

So yes, weird weather.
Old 24 October 2012, 07:05 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

what is weird is the amount of spiders around lately,my sheds are infested,anybody else notice alot of spiders around?
Old 24 October 2012, 09:18 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
Excellent, disaster averted then
I'm so glad we paid all those "green" taxes then!
Old 24 October 2012, 09:23 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jonc
In recent days, I am seeing more and more reports of "weird" weather in the UK in the news and tabloids, BBC, Sky, Guardian, Telegraph, etc. Has the weather really been that "weird"? or are the warmists gearing up for another "this is proof of global warming yada yada..!"? Plus, we having had a global warming thread in ages!
Well spotted Sir! Nothing other than the usual propaganda / alarmism. There'll be a load of bollocks about biodiversity and ocean acidification along soon via the same channels I expect!
Old 24 October 2012, 09:40 PM
Scooby-doo97
Scooby Regular

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by the shreksta
what is weird is the amount of spiders around lately,my sheds are infested,anybody else notice alot of spiders around?
I've not had many spiders but 3-4 dead woodlice almost every morning in the kitchen for the past 3 weeks As for the weather, I don't bother with TV forecasts. Stick head out the window and judge for myself or go by Mr speye91
Old 24 October 2012, 09:42 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Suresh
Well spotted Sir! Nothing other than the usual propaganda / alarmism. There'll be a load of bollocks about biodiversity and ocean acidification along soon via the same channels I expect!
...and don't forget the classic "but weather is not climate" when any particular measurement doesn't match the bed-wetter's pet model

mb
Old 24 October 2012, 10:51 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boomer
...and don't forget the classic "but weather is not climate" when any particular measurement doesn't match the bed-wetter's pet model

mb
I thought that was your trick
Old 25 October 2012, 02:58 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

The UK is subjected to frequent changes of air mass between the Polar Low and the Tropical High because of its position. This is why we have such variable weather and also because the movement of those air masses and the weather systems within them is entropic, it is very difficult to forecast ahead.

Les
Old 25 October 2012, 09:16 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Martin2005
I thought that was your trick
...aaahh, but i don't try to "forecast" either the weather or the climate, thus never get it wrong

Unlike the umpteen billion pound met office and the like, who can't get the weather right two days ahead never mind the lack of warming over the last 16 years

First it was "warming", until warming never happened
Then it was "climate change", until the climate stopped changing
Now it is "weirding", to explain, well, just about anything?

mb

Last edited by boomer; 25 October 2012 at 09:21 PM. Reason: change instead of charge - doh! (although with all the CO2 taxes, maybe it was more appropriate ;) )
Old 25 October 2012, 10:35 PM
4u2nv2
Scooby Regular

have a look at this. food for thought.
Old 25 October 2012, 10:36 PM
4u2nv2
Scooby Regular

haarp. loads of info on the tinternet
Old 25 October 2012, 10:56 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Haarp - stays shaarp to the bottom of the glass....
Old 26 October 2012, 04:37 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the shreksta
Yep had loads of massive spiders in the house great big tarantula sized things, even the dogs won't try to eat them any more and now just stamp on them.
Old 26 October 2012, 08:24 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Luan Pra bang
Yep had loads of massive spiders in the house great big tarantula sized things, even the dogs won't try to eat them any more and now just stamp on them.
Giant house spiders. Basically a bigger version of the regular ones, which are quite big themelves. I think it's just after their mating season or something. I haven't seen any this year but saw my first ones over the last few years. Had never seen one in Scotland before that - only when down south.

Anyway, it's been sunny today. There's definitely something weird going on.
Old 26 October 2012, 10:57 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Leslie
The UK is subjected to frequent changes of air mass between the Polar Low and the Tropical High because of its position. This is why we have such variable weather and also because the movement of those air masses and the weather systems within them is entropic, it is very difficult to forecast ahead.

Les
Indeed Les. As many a 'barbeque summer' has proven..

And yet 'Mystic Met' extrapolates from those same useless weather forcasting models to tell us whats going to happen to the climate 50 years from now. Of course its all positive feedbacks with a large dose of doom and gloom too. I call it bollocks.
Old 27 October 2012, 10:54 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I can't find a link but I heard that the recent weather is having a devastating impact on bird migration. Birds coming in are exhausted and many don't make it and for those going out the usual patterns are different with many dieing at sea. Sad.

dl
Old 27 October 2012, 03:45 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boomer
...aaahh, but i don't try to "forecast" either the weather or the climate, thus never get it wrong

Unlike the umpteen billion pound met office and the like, who can't get the weather right two days ahead never mind the lack of warming over the last 16 years

First it was "warming", until warming never happened
Then it was "climate change", until the climate stopped changing
Now it is "weirding", to explain, well, just about anything?

mb
They did report an increase in global temperatures which was discovered by measurement, even though it was not as accurate as it might have been. There was a sudden larger increase which is what set the whole fuss off.

There has been climate change to a degree but that may well be down to cyclical changes which have happened often enough in the past.

They have honestly reported that there has not been any global warming for some 15 years now which can only be regarded as a good thing. How will the politicians justify their green taxes now I wonder!

Weather and its causes are entropic which makes it very difficult to forecast accurately. It is unfair to blame the forecasters if what they say does not happen.

I think if you tried the job you would become "hairless" at your own failures, but you might even be prepared to cut the forecasters a bit of slack if you did.

You are being unfair to those who do their best at what is a very difficult job which can never be guaranteed.

Les
Old 27 October 2012, 04:12 PM
SkullFudge
Scooby Regular

I've just got used to it.

Whenever I go out no matter what month I take thermals, shades, flippers, sunblock, wellies, shorts and skiing jacket.

Job done.

Quick Reply: "Weird" Weather