Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Thinking of getting a Puppy

Search this Thread

Old 16 October 2012, 11:52 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of getting a Puppy

The Mrs has been nagging me for months now as wants to get a dog.
My parents and I used to have a lab from when I was 11 to around 23.
I have very fond memories of old Max and do want another dog myself.

Problem is, my Mum worked from home so there was always somone there to keep him company.

At the moment I work 8.30 till 5pm Monday to Friday and Marie works various shifts on Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

We also have a 17 month old son.

With the above in mind, I am edging towards a dog that doesn't require 3 hours of walks per day, as our old Lab did - Even after that, we still had loads of energy!

Would it be fair on the dog when it will be on its own most Thursday and Fridays?
I work only 3 miles from home, so I could pop home, feed him and let him out to do his business, but no time to walk it.

Any feedback appreciated.
Old 16 October 2012, 01:07 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Cavalier King Charles would do the trick.

dl
Old 16 October 2012, 01:17 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It might seem a bit hard on the dog being alone on those days but I imagine it will get used to it. Main thing is that it does not go hungry of course.

Labradors are outstanding dogs but as you say-they do need a lot of exercise. They are very good with children. Sounds like you have to consider a smaller dog though.

Les
Old 16 October 2012, 01:56 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

Think about a smaller breed & get two so they are never alone & can ware themselves out playing.
Old 16 October 2012, 03:29 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 16 October 2012, 03:39 PM
greenonedave
Scooby Regular

Sorry but, dogs really are social animals I do not think its fair to leave them on their own, they get bored or worse can do damage to your house in frustration.
Old 16 October 2012, 04:49 PM
Carlh
Scooby Regular

agree with dave, you cant leave it at home day after day. You wont have a house left plus its not nice for the dog.
Old 16 October 2012, 05:00 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Carlh
agree with dave, you cant leave it at home day after day. You wont have a house left plus its not nice for the dog.
It won't be day after day. Thursday and Friday. My wife works for the Police so does shift work. I might get in at 4pm on a Friday and she leave for work around 5.15pm.

I'd say may b 4 days a month tops and on those days, I can pop home at lunch.
Old 16 October 2012, 05:07 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Retired Greyhound, happy to sleep all day, don't need massive walks, and very affectionate once settled in + you have the added satisfaction that you've saved a dog from being put down.

Only downside is they feel the cold as theyn have hardly any body fat so you'll have to leave the heating on for them in winter
Old 16 October 2012, 05:12 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by greenonedave
or worse can do damage to your house in frustration.
Yeah, tell me about it.

I'd love another dog, but I do think it's not fair to leave them on their own.
Old 16 October 2012, 05:13 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gear Head
In that case i think it would be ok.
Old 16 October 2012, 05:17 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

What joy....

Old 16 October 2012, 05:21 PM
henrysmith
Scooby Regular

Thousands of dogs in kennels/rescue homes and are basically left alone for 23 hours a day (and then some are put down of course depending on resuce home/dog warden etc) - being left for two 3-4 hour periods 4-5 days a month is nothing - worse comes to worst for those 4-5 days a month get a dog walker to come in mid day and do an hour walk or so.

As long as the dogs are not left all day everyday then no worries - they'll have a better life with you than in even the best rescue home!

And you can always ask a decent resuce home for advice on a dog to suit your circumstances.
Old 16 October 2012, 05:25 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

It won't be day after day. Thursday and Friday. My wife works for the Police so does shift work. I might get in at 4pm on a Friday and she leave for work around 5.15pm.

If that's the case then it's perfectly fine. As long as you can pop home at lunchtime to let it outside in the garden to do it's business. Just get a dog you really want so you can enjoy it fully and give it all your care, but stay away from the really obvious breeds that wouldn't suit you, for example a collie or sheepdog, etc...
Old 16 October 2012, 05:25 PM
Emmaroids
BANNED

i was thinking exactly the same thing about getting a dog but working full time has deterred me although i do early shifts starting at 6am and finishing at 3pm.
Old 16 October 2012, 07:04 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

I have 2 dogs and i will say one thing..... If like me you like your holidays and like your days out then dont do it.

Don't get me wrong, I love my dogs and will be devistated when they die but fortunatly we have some very helpful people that can let our dogs out & look after them when we go on holidays etc. - At first I didn't like relying on neighbours but now I don't mind

Yeah they are great when puppies and are great companions but do think about the next 15yrs... a dog is for life not just for 20mins etc....
Old 16 October 2012, 07:07 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I've never tried one of these but perhaps they would be fine for a smaller breed if you have an enclosed garden and don't get a dog that will yap all day.

Just a thought.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STAYWELL-C...item231822f531

dl
Old 17 October 2012, 01:48 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

We are thinking the same and its clear you get some very mixed views on what is acceptable in terms of leaving them on their on. Some would make you believe that a dog should never be left but plenty of people do with no issues.

We looked at Beagles but after speaking to some breeders its clear they need a lot of attention in the early months and as a pack hound really crave company so we are looking at Labs now as seem a bit more placid. My wife took VR a month ago but we can't guarentee that she doesnt find her ideal job and that involves a lot of time away from the home. So we will wait until she is settled and we know what our daily routine will be. I work 15 mins from home so can nip back at lunch most days.

Its annoyingly one advantage of having a wife stay at home with a kid as they can look after a puppy. Sadly thats not a good enough reason for us to have kids

There are ways around most things with dog walkers / sharers etc.
Old 17 October 2012, 02:26 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
What joy....

You got kids?
Old 17 October 2012, 02:38 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

You'll be fine with that.

Stay away from super active breeds and a walk in the morning, a walk at night and 15 minutes of interaction and a toilet break at lunchtime and most dogs will cope very well.

Make sure you get a crate that it sees as a safe haven, leave it with fresh water and a safe (ie solid large rubber) chew toy and you're sorted.

Take 2 weeks holiday to acclimatise it, house train it etc, working up each day to leaving it in the crate for a couple of hours each morning and afternoon in a quiet room to mimic what the day will be like when you go back to work.

Keep it mentally stimulated and there's less chance of destruction round the house (alleviated by the crate anyway)

We got our first dog when we were both working and one of us would come home at lunchtime for 15 minutes. She would be alone for a few hours in the morning and a few in the afternoon. No problems at all.

Yes, its a huge committment, but also hugely rewarding. You adapt, just like I guess you have to with kids (which is a much greater and longer term committment than any dog will ever be)