Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Multi Car insurance policies

Search this Thread

Old 18 September 2012, 07:09 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Multi Car insurance policies

due to our ever growing stable of cars in the family - all with individual insurance policies

are these multi car policies worth looking into?

anyone tried/have them? recomendations?
Old 18 September 2012, 08:00 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I have an Admiral multi-car insurance it was cheaper than individual policies and convenient on renewal. One thing I do is redo an online quote on renewal to get a lower renewal premium.
Old 18 September 2012, 09:06 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My parents use one for their cars and saves them money, in our house we don't bother as most mainstream companies don't like my modified focus ST.
Old 19 September 2012, 12:45 AM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Do you just get one NCD across all the vehicles?
Old 19 September 2012, 09:35 AM
Bristol98
Scooby Regular

Not really a multi-car policy, but if one is insured with Churchill you can link another new policy and get a decent discount. This has no effect on the initial insurance i.e. NCB, Just done it for my lad as wifey has a Churchill policy, 19 yo boy, two (non-fault) crashes already fully comp on a 1.6 sxi astra 1600 quid, get in!
Old 19 September 2012, 09:54 AM
skyinsurance
Former Sponsor

Feel free to give us a try; we have a few options for customers with more than one car in the household.

http://www.skyinsurance.co.uk/car-club-insurance.html
Old 19 September 2012, 10:14 AM
farmerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a multi policy with admiral and for the second year running if I go on confused put in same details it comes out cheaper to insure the both cars separately with admiral ! also they came in as the cheapest quotes so I phone admiral and explain this and they say OK we can match your quote prices and I say I thought the reason for multi policies is that it is cheaper to insure cars together ! they say after some ohh'ing and ah'ing ok i will have to put you on hold,then they come back and knock 20% off and this has happened twice now the exact same scenario with the same cars as well
Old 19 September 2012, 10:22 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I did have a combo multicar AND house insurace with Zurich (private clients).

That was great it did the lot...EVERYTHING under one policy fully comp with all the bells and whistles.

It was a good policy, but let down by a few problems that made the aggrevation/time spent getting renewal no better than normal seperated insurance

a) It had to be done via a appointed broker (the crux that caused the following issues)
b) Said brokers wern't very fast or good at getting the data accurate. (for example 'forgetting' agreed values).
c) The same brokers always gave renewal quotes at the last minute..i.e five days before the expirey...even after badgering them on the phone, leaving no time to compare or question quotes.
d) Renewal quotes repeatedly rose disproportionately without any valid reasoning. Requireing bargaining to get it back down to a sensible level again.

This was with using two different brokers on the same policy. And also using a thrid broker handling seperate policies for home and car. So in the end just gave up with it all and went back to old fashioned seperate policies direct with the insurance companies. The idea of using a broker is they do all the donkey work so I don't have to, turns out I was doing just as much donkey work haveing to double check everything they were doing

Word of warning with Admiral, we were quoted with Elephant and as we already had a policy with them on another car, their sister arm Admiral called back and gave us a multi-car quote.

The quote was cheaper. BUT, the reason for this was the policies were not like for like. After checking the small print in the associated quote detail in the email that was sent, it became evident that voluntary excesses were different and certain legal covers were not included along with some vagueness on other bits and bobs. Whether this was a honest mistake by nice lady on the phone, or intentional to make it appear to be a cheaper quote. After readjustment so it actually was a like for like policy, the Admiral policy quote was more expensive!

Anyhoo, I'm getting quite a nice collection of Meercats now

Last edited by ALi-B; 19 September 2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old 19 September 2012, 10:38 AM
chet123
Scooby Regular

From personal experience multi car policy is only benefial if you have several cars registered at the address. For two cars you dont get much of a saving but 5 cars then your talking. A con in my opinion - most of the time you can find the 2nd, 3rd car insured cheaper elsewhere than with the multi car discount.
Old 19 September 2012, 10:55 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

True, one thing to bear in mind; Insurance prices partly work on the odds of a claim being in their favour.....the more cars/items/people you insure with one company; the more likely you are going to make a claim (eggs in one basket).

Whilst that is pretty over simplified, it can explain why some multi-car policy quotes aren't that competative. For me it was as it was mainly two drivers covering four cars on limited mileage with three of them garaged which does reduce risk for each individual car. If it was four people for four cars, I suspect quotes wouldn't be as good.

Anyhoo, I've noted most on-line single car policies do ask if you use regularly use another car and what type of use (in addition to the one being quoted). So obviously this is used as a means to further calculate the risk of the car/driver being insured.

Another point; Listing my mum as a driver on my policy gives me cheaper quotes on my one car. Its true that a 62 year old does drive my car on occasions, although how that reduces the risk of it being in an accident is beyond me

Last edited by ALi-B; 19 September 2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old 19 September 2012, 04:02 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

mmm - thanks all

I will have to do some more digging, sounds like a bit of a minefield
Old 19 September 2012, 05:22 PM
Mark'sWRX
Scooby Regular

I did have 2 cars insured with Admiral until they wrote to me mid-policy to say they didn't cover my (fairly minor) mods. You can put them in on confusethemarket.com but they don't transfer to the ins co!

Not sure if anyone on this site has a Scoob any more, but don't bother if it's modded.
Old 19 September 2012, 06:12 PM
JohnSmith
Scooby Regular

Why doesn't Moley give out Moley Cats