Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Private plate sale - a few questions ??

Search this Thread

Old 16 September 2012, 05:31 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Private plate sale - a few questions ??

Guys quick one ??!!! anyone remind me whats involved when selling a private plate ?? got someone here wanting to buy the plate that is on my own car just now, they will be putting it straight on there own car ie. wont just be held on retention certificate.

whats best way to go about the process and what as a seller do I need to do ?? ie would they be better sending me the money for the plate + whatver it costs for transfer fee for them ( £80 ?? ) and I would have there details added myself ?

looking to buy a new p/plate for my car , bit confused as dont want to have to shell out dvla fees for a few weeks if I would have to do it again once I get my new plate. so whats best way off going about it all ??

lastly, when sold would my car go back to its original plate or is a totally new one issued ?

as I say bit confused if anyone could be so kind as to advise ?

cheers
Old 16 September 2012, 07:25 AM
gixxerjoe
Scooby Regular

you get the v5 and mots for both cars and take them to the dvla to do it there is a £80 fee to do this and they make you fill a form in oh and the tax as well than within 10 days you get a letter saying you can take the plates off and what reg to put on what cars job done in my expereance dont post the forms to them take the time to go down to the local office
Old 16 September 2012, 08:56 AM
rooferman
Scooby Regular

What if the plate is on retention ?

Going to sell mine I think....
Old 16 September 2012, 09:35 AM
gixxerjoe
Scooby Regular

If its like that than you sell the retention cert and fill it in for the new keeper job done.
Old 16 September 2012, 10:18 AM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rooferman
What if the plate is on retention ?

Going to sell mine I think....
It's just a £25 admin fee to change ownership, If it's already on retention the £80 transfer fee has been paid.
Old 16 September 2012, 12:45 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Their / of. FFS! :-)
Old 16 September 2012, 08:00 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gixxerjoe
you get the v5 and mots for both cars and take them to the dvla to do it there is a £80 fee to do this and they make you fill a form in oh and the tax as well than within 10 days you get a letter saying you can take the plates off and what reg to put on what cars job done in my expereance dont post the forms to them take the time to go down to the local office

Okay cheers guys appreciatte the advice given.

so okay are you saying that the buyer ( opposite end off the country ) would have to send me the money for the actual plate as well as his mot and V5 certificate and this £80 transfer fee and only then could i get the plate transfered to his car at my local dvla office ??

would be free to put my own original plate back on my own car until I bought a new plate and if this plate was already on retention it would only cost me £25 to get it changed to my name and onto my car ??

this correct ??!!
Old 16 September 2012, 08:20 PM
gixxerjoe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jono300
Okay cheers guys appreciatte the advice given.

so okay are you saying that the buyer ( opposite end off the country ) would have to send me the money for the actual plate as well as his mot and V5 certificate and this £80 transfer fee and only then could i get the plate transfered to his car at my local dvla office ??

would be free to put my own original plate back on my own car until I bought a new plate and if this plate was already on retention it would only cost me £25 to get it changed to my name and onto my car ??

this correct ??!!
yes the dvla will send you a letter telling you that it can be removed and what reg to put on your car than send the plate to the buyer DO NOT SEND HIM ANYTHING TILL YOU GET THE LETTER OR REMOVE THE PLATE and than a few weeks later you will get your v5 back with your new reg on and so will the buyer as the dvla might want to have a look at your cars for security resons
Old 16 September 2012, 08:27 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Why don't you get him to pay you for putting it on retention in his name and then send him the certificate when you get it, This would depend on how you did it, Via post could take a while but if you went to the DVLA off ice it will be a quicker turn around, He will still be looking at anything from 2-4 weeks to receive it though, Best to check with the DVLA though.
Old 16 September 2012, 08:29 PM
gixxerjoe
Scooby Regular

its £125 to put it on that way and takes the same amount of time to swap it to another car and half the messing around
Old 16 September 2012, 08:53 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

It was only £105 last time I did it, £80 retention and £25 change of ownership.

The buyer only has to send payment and not his car documents, some people are not comfortable sending these things to people they don't know

Last edited by The Pink Ninja; 16 September 2012 at 08:56 PM.
Old 17 September 2012, 05:25 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Okay guys thanks think I am getting there now in understanding it all !!

so okay if he was to send me the price off the plate and also this £105 fee ( £80 + £25 ) I could sort it all out my end via the local DVLA office ? all I would need off him would be his full name and address - anything else ??

it would then cost him nothing else to get it on his car once this retention certificate was in his name ??
Old 17 September 2012, 08:24 AM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

That's correct yes, Once he has the retention document he can then go I the DVLA and they will issue him with his paperwork, You best check with the DVLA but this is what I did last time.