Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Energy Bill

Search this Thread

Old 30 August 2012, 08:08 AM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Energy Bill

Apologies for the least exciting thread for a while on here!

However I'm after some advice on my electricity bill!

EON sent me an email on Tuesday night telling me my DD is going up to £144 per month... The reason this has frightened me is due to the fact I own a 1 bed flat!

There are no heaters there apart from an oil filled rad during the winter months, no tumble dryer etc. Just a normal lads pad, big tv, sky box, etc.

Another guy in the same block of flats as me is paying £40 per month.

This is not from estimation, they took an accurate reading from my meter last month and checked it on the phone with them last night. Basically now, I'm having to read my meter every day and night for a week and they'll analyse the information.

I've checked with a few people at work as I'm a bit lax with my bills, DD takes care of it all, but people in 4 bed houses are paying less than me.

Has anyone had a meter thats been faulty and ticked over too quickly? Or is it more a case of someone else is using my supply?

At this rate I'll be buying torches and leaving all lights off permanently!
Old 30 August 2012, 08:17 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I had a similar thing happen, although with us it was a 5k bill, as we had been paying too little due to a billing error

But initially had to read the meter every day for a week etc - they did send a guy around to check a few things,

And came to a deal where I could clear the bill by paying 50% of it over a couple of years

All in all they were quite helpful
Old 30 August 2012, 08:24 AM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

Sounds like your neighbour has hooked into your power.
Our electric DD for a large 3bedroom bungalow is £50 PM and even then we still get money thrown back at us as we've paid too much.

Have you got the old style meter with a spinning wheel or the digital type? Turn everything off at the socket and see if it's still using. There has to be a problem somewhere to be using that much.
Old 30 August 2012, 08:28 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Have you checked under next doors threshold for tell tale greenery / do they leave the lights on all night
Old 30 August 2012, 08:43 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

What was your DD before? Mine went down to £10 a month for too long then up to £78 to pay it back. Now have Gas and Electric smart meters, the last two months ~100kWh Electricity and ~100kWh Gas, I've been away for a week each month.
Old 30 August 2012, 09:28 AM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
What was your DD before? Mine went down to £10 a month for too long then up to £78 to pay it back. Now have Gas and Electric smart meters, the last two months ~100kWh Electricity and ~100kWh Gas, I've been away for a week each month.
See this is my downfall. I'd been paying £70 pm and didnt really think much of it. Now when they doubled it, on Tuesday its made me question the whole thing.
Old 30 August 2012, 09:31 AM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 47 NAT
Sounds like your neighbour has hooked into your power.
Our electric DD for a large 3bedroom bungalow is £50 PM and even then we still get money thrown back at us as we've paid too much.

Have you got the old style meter with a spinning wheel or the digital type? Turn everything off at the socket and see if it's still using. There has to be a problem somewhere to be using that much.
Its a new digital meter, however what is coming to light is that they have me on an economy 7 tarrif, night and day readings. However, I dont have any storage heaters, so I imagine my day rate is slightly more expensive than it should be, even with that in mind I'd be surprised if thats the difference between what should be £40 pm and what I'm being charged.
Old 30 August 2012, 09:44 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Wow!

Our 3 bed terraced (built 2010) cost us just £74 a month for both gas and electric!
We are with EDF on their Blue Price Promise deal.
Big tv, xbox, dishwasher, washer drier, normal gas central heating.

Your bill seems way off fella.
Old 30 August 2012, 09:51 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

As you're with Eon, register on their web site and take a look at your energy tracker, should show what you used and when.
Old 30 August 2012, 09:57 AM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gear Head
Wow!

Our 3 bed terraced (built 2010) cost us just £74 a month for both gas and electric!

I'm starting to get the impression that I'm the only person in my block of 12 flats paying electricity! I reckon everyone else is getting theirs "free"
Old 30 August 2012, 10:00 AM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

As you're with Eon, register on their web site and take a look at your energy tracker, should show what you used and when.
Hi Jack, I'm manually recording my meter reading every evening for the day and night usage for the next week.

I was on the phone to EON after being on hold for 15 minutes and passed around departments I finally got through to someone when my phone dropped signal...

I'm going to do the manual recordings for a week then phone them back from a landline.

Something is definitely suspect here though, perhaps as mentioned earlier I'm supporting a hydroponics industry somewhere below me!
Old 30 August 2012, 10:01 AM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gear Head
Wow!

Jesus, I thought my bills were low. You must leave everything turned off
Old 30 August 2012, 10:04 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Like I say register on Eon and you'll see when and if your energy usage went ballistic compared to previous years https://www.eonenergy.com/for-your-h...er-Information obviously this depends on how long you've been a customer.
Old 30 August 2012, 10:07 AM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Like I say register on Eon and you'll see when and if your energy usage went ballistic compared to previous years https://www.eonenergy.com/for-your-h...er-Information obviously this depends on how long you've been a customer.
Oh sorry, misunderstood.

I've been with them for 4 years or so. They tell me that my usage has gone up considerably since February this year, although nothing has changed in my usage or lifestyle to create this.

The latest cost is one thing, however reading some of your comments here, I'm thinking I've been overpaying at £70pm for a long time.

I'll look at the EON thing after my meeting, thanks.
Old 30 August 2012, 10:36 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

When you do sort it, just make sure that you are on the best deal possible.
Standard rates are quite expensive.
Old 30 August 2012, 10:43 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

get some from EON around (as i did) to check your "environment"
Old 30 August 2012, 12:59 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It is possible for a meter to go wrong.

Les
Old 30 August 2012, 01:16 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Get one of those plug an electricity usage meter, they are great - you can see which item use a lot of elctricity and which dont and how many units a day get used.
I've been in the same postion where I used to be on DD and then it for no reason shot up. I cancelled the DD and moved back to pay quarterly and rather oddly it cost me less per month than the DD they wanted to charge me !

Richard
Old 30 August 2012, 08:14 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

A mate has recently had the EON smart meters fitted.It tells them they have been using about £45 worth per month over summer gas/electric combined.EON told them they need to pay £75 per month!! They dont owe anything and are usually in credit.
How smart are them meters ??? Retards!!!!
Old 30 August 2012, 08:16 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

I will never forget when we joined Scottish power... 3yrs later they asked for a meter reading (as previous years) and the woman said your day rate reading is the same as last year. Turns out the meter never worked during the day and we hadn't paid a penny for day use. We got a letter saying we should pay a good will gesture of £500. I offered them nothing as they haven't noticed the fault for 3yrs. There was nothing they could do except change the meter.
We moved a month later.

One thing we have noticed is that we in the new house have naturally used more in winter as aposed to summer. We got a letter saying our bill was going from £56 to £174. We called to ask why and they said because we used more in winter it needed to go up to compensate and then in summer they would refund us.

We said surely the best thing to do is pay £100 a month and see how we get on. This is where we are now.
Old 30 August 2012, 08:25 PM
mrmadcap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fitzscoob
Apologies for the least exciting thread for a while on here!

However I'm after some advice on my electricity bill!

EON sent me an email on Tuesday night telling me my DD is going up to £144 per month... The reason this has frightened me is due to the fact I own a 1 bed flat!

There are no heaters there apart from an oil filled rad during the winter months, no tumble dryer etc. Just a normal lads pad, big tv, sky box, etc.

Another guy in the same block of flats as me is paying £40 per month.

This is not from estimation, they took an accurate reading from my meter last month and checked it on the phone with them last night. Basically now, I'm having to read my meter every day and night for a week and they'll analyse the information.

I've checked with a few people at work as I'm a bit lax with my bills, DD takes care of it all, but people in 4 bed houses are paying less than me.

Has anyone had a meter thats been faulty and ticked over too quickly? Or is it more a case of someone else is using my supply?

At this rate I'll be buying torches and leaving all lights off permanently!
Can i ask if you rent your flat or do you own it because if you rent you could be paying off money owed by a previous tenant.
Old 30 August 2012, 08:28 PM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

Start off with just a few plants......then double it

On a serious note I'd be by passing the meter
Old 31 August 2012, 07:53 AM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mrmadcap
Can i ask if you rent your flat or do you own it because if you rent you could be paying off money owed by a previous tenant.
It's not a rental, I've been there for 4 years. Previously the flat had a pre-pay meter attached (one you had to top up by key payments), the first thing I did on moving in was get a different meter attached by EON.

So with that in mind, I dont think it can be left over bills sadly
Old 31 August 2012, 07:54 AM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

So my manual check last night showed that I used 12 units day time and about 4 night units. Not sure what that equates to in reality but doesnt seem like a lot to me.

5 more days to go!
Old 31 August 2012, 08:41 AM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

That does seem high to me - I use 7 units a day (total) Mon to Thur, rises to 10 units a day Fri, Sat and Sun. 4 bed detached house.

Richard
Old 31 August 2012, 08:53 AM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by richs2891
That does seem high to me - I use 7 units a day (total) Mon to Thur, rises to 10 units a day Fri, Sat and Sun. 4 bed detached house.

Richard
Thanks for that, I guess I'll just have to do this week of writing down unit use, and speak with EON again on Thursday next week and force them to send someone around to check the meter.
Old 31 August 2012, 11:30 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Its a new digital meter, however what is coming to light is that they have me on an economy 7 tarrif, night and day readings. However, I dont have any storage heaters, so I imagine my day rate is slightly more expensive than it should be, even with that in mind I'd be surprised if thats the difference between what should be £40 pm and what I'm being charged.

I think I know whats happend;

You have a dual rate meter. Even if your are eco7 or not you need to take readings off BOTH metres readouts, if its a digital meter, you do that by pressing one of the buttons.

Sometimes the second rate isn't read - even by a official meter reader, causing a billing error.

I had that with my gran's flat. She's on a standard rate (not eco7) but has a dual rate meter. So the night-time metre reading carrys on working (its the same rate as the daytime rate). It went for over a year without being read. So 12months of cheap bills, followed by a sudden massive increase in the direct debit rate 12months later when the second night-time metre reading was eventually read.

Worked it out in the end, but these digital dual rate meters are a pain in the ****. Especially if you aren't on a eco7 tarrif (makes the bill extra confusing). Luckily for us the metre stopped working (display went dim and it started making boinging noises), and the guy who replaced it managed to persuade the supplier to fit a single rate meter. They are supposed to replace like for like, but the fitter was helpful enough to realise it would just cause my gran further problems - she's in a her 80's, one meter reading is hard enough to work out with the way the bills are printed.
Old 31 August 2012, 11:40 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Anyhoo; just pulled up last quater's bill for a 4 bed detached house:

£123.97 of electric. Which is an actual usage of 991 killowatt/hours...so about £41 per month. (that's NOT the direct debit amount - thats much higher as its combined with the gas, as I'm on a dual fuel tarrif).

That's with gas heating and gas hot water. If you use electric to heat the water you will guzzle electric (I hate electric showers with a passion for this reason - 8 kilowats for a warm drizzle, sod that! ).

Last edited by ALi-B; 31 August 2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old 31 August 2012, 10:26 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

So my manual check last night showed that I used 12 units day time and about 4 night units. Not sure what that equates to in reality but doesnt seem like a lot to me.

5 more days to go!
16000 watts in a 24 hour period living alone in a 1 bed flat does sound ridiculous unless you're there all day with most appliances switched on.

4000 watts during the night! So from say 11pm through to 8am you've used 4KW of electricity!

Keep your eye out for Ashton Kutcher.
Old 31 August 2012, 10:53 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

immersion heater?

Quick Reply: Energy Bill