Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Busted !

Search this Thread

Old 22 August 2012, 06:19 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Busted !

I'm not posting this to hear 'slow down' serves your right, blah blah blah but today for the first time in 10yrs of driving I think I was nicked for speeding.

I say top end my speedo was showing 90mph by the time I overtook the car down hill and was slowing down as I pulled in , came around the corner and there he was. I guess I saw him as I was at 85mph, I wacked the anchors on and got down to 60 within yards but so be it.

It was a camara van and I kinda hope being my first offence that I get an awareness course. If they only zap you from 400yards then I'm fairly certain I was under the limit by the time I got there.

I noticed later my satnav is 5mph slower then the speedo so hopefully I was nearer 80ish.

So how long does it take to come through? Hope he was having a crafty *** and not attending the gun. One thing though, Does slow you down after you soil your pants.

Last edited by RobsyUK; 22 August 2012 at 06:20 PM.
Old 22 August 2012, 06:33 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what speed limit was the road? if 60 doing 80 you may be in deeper trouble.
Old 22 August 2012, 06:41 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

i am pretty sure the awareness course is only if you are just slightly over the limit too.
Old 22 August 2012, 07:02 PM
steve ex vauxhall
Scooby Regular

I've just been offered an awareness course for 48 in a 40,
I think they have 14 days in order to get a nip though the post to you, after 14 days it's too late.
Old 22 August 2012, 07:05 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

48 in a 40 isnt as bad as 90 anywhere other than a motorway , which going by his description he wasnt !
Old 22 August 2012, 07:09 PM
steve ex vauxhall
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CharlySkunkWeed
48 in a 40 isnt as bad as 90 anywhere other than a motorway , which going by his description he wasnt !
Yeah I know that mate, just trying to give an idea, they allowed me 8 mph in a 40, so maybe could get away with the same in a 60, but obviously if they got him at 90 then I would say possible 56 day ban, if they got him.

Some of these vans are anpr and not speed cameras, think the op needs to cross everything and hope 14 days pass without the postie bringing bad news
Old 22 August 2012, 07:18 PM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

You do know if you turn around and go back....knock on the window they will tell you there and then if the camera got you

I've done it a few times , we have one sit in a pub car park (30 limit...but a long sweeping road that you creep up to 40).... Every time I've nipped the cheeks and turned around...and alls been good
They are only ******* when we treat them that way
Old 22 August 2012, 07:27 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

i got tailed by an unmarked unit , and got clocked doing 92 in a 70. 3 points and £60 fine ! Phew !
Old 22 August 2012, 07:37 PM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CharlySkunkWeed
i got tailed by an unmarked unit , and got clocked doing 92 in a 70. 3 points and £60 fine ! Phew !
98.4 on the m62.....full blown traffic car , blues and two's for 3 miles......with video proof .....he saw my front end drop so the cheeky foooka pulled off so I tried making a bit of time back up ....not noticing him rejoin. He said after a mile and half he called fail to stop.....I now remember to use my mirrors
That was also a 3 pointer and £60

Nice copper though
Old 22 August 2012, 07:46 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

yeah , it helps if the cop isnt a tosser. It was a Sunday night , on an empty carridgeway , and once i came off it i stuck to the limit , which helped i think.
Old 22 August 2012, 09:02 PM
Coupe-Se
Scooby Regular

I attended a Speed Awareness course yesterday after getting clocked at 37 entering a 30 zone by a camera van.

My N.I.P. said ACPO guidelines were 10% + 2mph so i was 2mph above that and liable to prosecution.

As i've had a clean licence (25 years) and not attended a Speed Awareness course in the last 3 years and my speed was under 42mph in a 30 zone i could avoid points, pay £90 and attend the course.

Limits for Speed Awareness course IF the county is signed to the scheme:
30mph zone UP TO 42mph
40mph zone UP TO 53mph
50mph zone UP TO 64mph
60mph zone UP TO 75mph
70mph zone UP TO 86mph

We were told the camera vans monitor the road all the time and is an automated process once you have been registered as speeding. They monitor cars over 1 km away (line of sight) and the cameras are so good they can read your lips and have a good laugh at the comments drivers make. We were told that the only way to avoid getting ticket was with police using hand held cameras and using their discretion when they pull you up and speak to you.

The course i went on was run by AA Drivetech and not that bad tbh.

http://www.acpo.police.uk/documents/...Compliant_.pdf

Last edited by Coupe-Se; 22 August 2012 at 09:03 PM.
Old 22 August 2012, 09:34 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

uh oh Rob you are screwed! Hope you don't treasure your **** virginity, coz Bubba is gonna rip out your ******* in the slammer
Old 22 August 2012, 09:43 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

It was a 70mph and what's the deal with saying the wife looks like a man and was driving?

I know I was doing less then 90mph and can hope it was 83mph max. I don't mind 3 points as I've felt a little left out not having any for so long.

It was a curved bend onto a straigh, he was at the entrance of the straight. Maybe I should get a discount for an Astra estate taking the bend so well.. Tbh I bet even lorries could coast around it at 70mph.
Old 22 August 2012, 09:44 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bioforger
uh oh Rob you are screwed! Hope you don't treasure your **** virginity, coz Bubba is gonna rip out your ******* in the slammer
I have lube
Old 23 August 2012, 09:40 AM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TBH 80ish in a 70 limit will be thre points at worst. If you had the anchors on then you might be fine. I did exctly the same thing and no ticket.

I also went past a speed cam (was hidden behind a sign on the A9 opposite the Highland Spring factory for those who know it - I remembered it was there with not a lot of time lol) a few years back in a 70 slowing from 120 + to, well as low as I could get it by way of a full emergency stop

Apparently, and this may be an urban myth, but if the camera detects a speed change outwith certain parameters it won't record the speed as it sees it as an error. That does make sense though as only a constant speed could be deemed to be a reliable reading.

Whatever, I was lucky that time....
Old 23 August 2012, 10:17 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Doesn't sound like an awareness course will do you any good, you sound like a ******* menace to be honest and a lengthy or lifetime ban would be far better, just saying

Got ya
Old 23 August 2012, 10:26 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

You're going down!
Old 23 August 2012, 11:32 AM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Well 13 days to see if I get the brown envelope.

My only concern is if I was doing warp speed - in an Astra and get a court summons.
I can't give the dates on here of my 2wks hols but what if I get a court appearance for a day I'm not here?
Old 23 August 2012, 12:03 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mate

You'll be extremely unlucky if you get a court summons for 80 ish in a 70.
Old 23 August 2012, 12:18 PM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

Last time I was done (after keeping a clean license for 10 years) I`d literally blasted past a line of slow movers, just coming onto a dual carriageway with the intention of pulling in and sitting at 70 - 75...which I did. The van in front of me braked, I looked up and there was a marked BMW estate on the flyover. He was setting off.........to get me He followed me for over 2 miles until I was nearly home and then pulled me. He sat me in the car and showed me my speed......93mph To be fair, he said, "If you`d have kept it under 90 I`d have just b0llocked you". I was tempted to say, but I was only 4 mph over....but I reckon I`d have been pushing my luck £60 and 3 points
Old 23 August 2012, 03:11 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

As you now know, they have to inform you of possible prosecution within 14 days with allowance for postage.

They will deal with your case according to the speed which was recorded. Nothing else they can do unless you were being observed at the time.

I imagine you will get whatever fine the magistrates tend to give in that area, and the standard 3 points.

Hope its not too heavy anyway.

Les
Old 24 August 2012, 08:24 AM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

I hope it's not heavy... 12 days left. Do these count weekends?
Old 24 August 2012, 08:44 AM
Carlh
Scooby Regular

4 years on the license too. Wont be a speed awareness course, tends to happen in the lower limits such as 30.

It'll just be points and fine, though if the coppers thought you were driving dangerously, could be a bigger problem.

We all get points and those that dont, its just a matter of time. My missus got her first camera capture a few weeks ago, after 20 years of driving, doing 35 in a 30. She's taking the awareness course to save having points on. Normally she drives good, just got caught out at the wrong time.
Old 24 August 2012, 08:51 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

I was under the impression that they had 21 days now to issue a postal NIP.
Old 24 August 2012, 11:44 PM
97TURBO
Scooby Regular

I'm certain i read the 14 day rule doesnt really stand up in court. Anyway, in my experience they are normally out within a couple of days. The tickets issued from mobile vans are processed the following day.
Old 25 August 2012, 01:48 AM
steve ex vauxhall
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobsyUK
I hope it's not heavy... 12 days left. Do these count weekends?
Yes 14 calendar days,
Get yourself onto pepipoo, free registration, just need email address and password and ask all the questions you need to, there's a couple of traffic lawyers on there.

There are ways around things fella
Old 25 August 2012, 07:33 AM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

11 days, I don't mind points... What if the wife was driving?
Old 25 August 2012, 08:15 AM
Nurse Gladys
Scooby Regular

Location: Daily drive is a Scoob again - just what it should be!

Originally Posted by Coupe-Se
I attended a Speed Awareness course yesterday after getting clocked at 37 entering a 30 zone by a camera van.

My N.I.P. said ACPO guidelines were 10% + 2mph so i was 2mph above that and liable to prosecution.

As i've had a clean licence (25 years) and not attended a Speed Awareness course in the last 3 years and my speed was under 42mph in a 30 zone i could avoid points, pay £90 and attend the course.

Limits for Speed Awareness course IF the county is signed to the scheme:
30mph zone UP TO 42mph
40mph zone UP TO 53mph
50mph zone UP TO 64mph
60mph zone UP TO 75mph
70mph zone UP TO 86mph

We were told the camera vans monitor the road all the time and is an automated process once you have been registered as speeding. They monitor cars over 1 km away (line of sight) and the cameras are so good they can read your lips and have a good laugh at the comments drivers make. We were told that the only way to avoid getting ticket was with police using hand held cameras and using their discretion when they pull you up and speak to you.

The course i went on was run by AA Drivetech and not that bad tbh.

http://www.acpo.police.uk/documents/...Compliant_.pdf
Not always the case - clocked at 38 in a 30 which I genuinely thought was a 40mph area. Pleaded for the awareness course by letter but was told on this occasion it wasn't an option - made me sound like a repeat offender - first time ever in over 25 years driving!
Old 25 August 2012, 01:57 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I had not heard of the notification period being increased to 21 days.

I have read about people being discharged from a summons because the 14 days had passed before they were informed.

Les
Old 25 August 2012, 02:35 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bioforger
I'll probably let him off.

Quick Reply: Busted !