Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

cavendish - question for cycling buffs

Search this Thread

Old 30 July 2012, 10:00 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question cavendish - question for cycling buffs

I caught a news clip where Mark Cavendish was caught by a journalist soon after losing out in the road race, probably not the best time to be asking questions

The journalist asked Cavendish if riding in the Tour de France may have affected his performance. To which Cavendish replied "Do you know anything about cycling? Stop asking silly questions". And walked off.

Knowing sod all about cycling I wondered what he meant. I assume he meant that riding in the Tour destroyed you physically and mentally for some time. Or did he mean that the Tour had nothing to do with his performance?

Experts please.

David
Old 30 July 2012, 10:16 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suspect he was trying to say that the tour had nothing to do with his performance
Old 30 July 2012, 10:34 AM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Stupid journo more like.

He asked the question that anybody who knew anything about pro cycling wouldn't have asked. Doing the Tour first (or other big road race) actually helps your stamina and body condition, assuming no injuries.

Journo went for a cheap shot of trying to explain the loss through a question and Cav put him in his place.
Old 30 July 2012, 10:57 AM
ChrisB

A stupid question IMHO as well. Cav's job in the plan was to survive Box Hill and be in the top 5 or 10 as the pack hits the Mall. He did his job, it was just four guys can't chase down a breakaway of 20+ riders (who are working together).

If that was during the TDF, there probably would have been 3 or 4 teams each putting in 4 or 5 riders to pull the break back.
Old 30 July 2012, 11:02 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Not very clever from cav there. He's a bit arrogant at times.
Old 30 July 2012, 11:04 AM
Paucatuman
Scooby Regular

Apart from the breakaway riders and team GB, I don't know why any of the other riders bothered turning up. It was all a bit like Eurovision.

It was also pretty awful in the BBC evening round up listening to Gaby talking to Dame Kelly, Michaeal Johnson and John Mc - they obviously don't know a think about cycling, they should have stayed shut up or spoken with somebody that knew what they were talking about.

The whole thing was a great shame.
Old 30 July 2012, 11:06 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I thought it was a fair question but the wrong time to ask it

I had assumed, wrongly according to above, that after the Tour one's body would need a decent time to recuperate let alone unwinding the mental fatigue.

d
Old 30 July 2012, 11:30 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
The journalist asked Cavendish if riding in the Tour de France may have affected his performance. To which Cavendish replied "Do you know anything about cycling? Stop asking silly questions".
I think I'd have said in reply "Not much except you just lost ... badly... and I think the nation would like to know why"
Old 30 July 2012, 12:31 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
Not very clever from cav there. He's a bit arrogant at times.
He came across as a right tit! Getting all defensive and aggressive. Fortunately someone with sense pulled him away before he made a bigger tw@t of himself.
Old 30 July 2012, 01:06 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Paucatuman
It was also pretty awful in the BBC evening round up listening to Gaby talking to Dame Kelly, Michaeal Johnson and John Mc - they obviously don't know a think about cycling, they should have stayed shut up or spoken with somebody that knew what they were talking about.
All of the commentating seemed pretty poor. Thinking that 3rd place might have been Spain! Surely the commentators research the riders colours etc. They only seem to say things that you can see for yourself, rather than giving insight and explaining what the competitiors are trying to achieve. This seems to be common across all the sports. Said that the peloton was racing for fourth position several times. It's not the TDF, different scoring applies.

Did everyone see the studio session afterwards when Sue Barker turned up, her mike was off, then you heard a producer say "2nd place was COL, who are COL?" Classic (© 2012).

Last edited by speedking; 30 July 2012 at 01:09 PM.
Old 30 July 2012, 02:07 PM
Dave Hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't think it was a stupid question, but it was a stupid time to ask it.

Had Cav been less distraught and more Media Savvy he might have taken an opportunity to explain that he was in the form of his life, the Tour had build his strength and confidence not dented it, and sadly it wasn't to be due to factors outside teamGB's control....

But the Presenter effectively doorstepped him moments after he'd lost a dream he's spent 4 years preparing and training for and I think he was justified in throwing some venom back IMO. You can't expect people to be automatons.

In the medias eyes the medal was his and he just had to turn up and ride Wiggin's wheel to the last 100m - but sport and cycling in particular isn't like that.
Old 30 July 2012, 02:14 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by speedking
...Did everyone see the studio session afterwards when Sue Barker turned up, her mike was off, then you heard a producer say "2nd place was COL, who are COL?" Classic (© 2012).
Yes.

I did.

That 'voiceover' debacle went on a bit while after, too.
Old 30 July 2012, 02:28 PM
Butkus
Scooby Regular

Old 30 July 2012, 02:34 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

i reckon it was a cheap shot from the interviewer ,

he could have landed him one , but i guess that would have gone down even worse lol
Old 30 July 2012, 02:51 PM
Butkus
Scooby Regular

I don't understand all these people saying the interviewer was in the wrong. He's a sports reporter reporting on the Olympic Games, which is general sport, not a cycling reporter at a dedicated cycling event. It was a valid question Joe Public might have asked given it's a week after the TdF.

There is an old saying, "there's no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid answers". That was a stupid answer and he simply came across as nothing more than a sore loser.
Old 30 July 2012, 05:06 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by dpb
i reckon it was a cheap shot from the interviewer ,

he could have landed him one , but i guess that would have gone down even worse lol
Yes you're right he should have landed him one, the interviewer that is. Might have knocked some sense in to him.
Old 30 July 2012, 05:24 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

He's an athlete, not a PR spokesman, noone should expect him to give a perfect interview every time a reporter sticks a mic in his face.
Old 30 July 2012, 05:34 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I imagine he was fed up with all the senseless questions which so many reporters seem to ask these days.

Les
Old 30 July 2012, 08:26 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Exactly. It's akin to Kimi Raikkonen in F1 who gets criticised for the quality of some of his interviews. A top sportsman isn't necessarily a good performer in front of a camera, some like to do their talking on the track, pitch or wherever.
As for Cav I can totally understand his response given the amount of preparation that's gone into that race not to mention his disappointment at not winning a medal in the last Olympics.
At the end of the day he couldn't perform because he wasn't delivered to the mall by his team, other countries didn't play ball

Nik.

Originally Posted by markjmd
He's an athlete, not a PR spokesman, noone should expect him to give a perfect interview every time a reporter sticks a mic in his face.
Old 30 July 2012, 08:55 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Actually he's an employee of a marketing company first and foremost, should bear in mind that the public indirectly pay his wages. In terms of his Olympic performance he should have the decency to give a public interview with a bit more class even if he finds it annoying or boring. It's not the first time he's acted like a premadona on interviews.
Old 30 July 2012, 09:11 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Actually he's an employee of a marketing company first and foremost, should bear in mind that the public indirectly pay his wages. In terms of his Olympic performance he should have the decency to give a public interview with a bit more class even if he finds it annoying or boring. It's not the first time he's acted like a premadona on interviews.
The day world-class professional athletes start getting sacked by their teams, or Olympic athletes deselected by theirs, for doing nothing more than being a bit short with a reported in an interview (which is what Cav did here, he didn't swear or saying anything particularly abusive, he just spoke his mind a little forthrightly), is the day I'll probably stop watching that sport.
Old 30 July 2012, 09:19 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

They pay him to ride a bike not be a public relations spokesman.
To me it just shows the passion and commitment he has, the race didn't go to plan so why put on a false face, he was pissed off.

Not as if he told him to f**k off

The day world-class professional athletes start getting sacked by their teams, or Olympic athletes deselected by theirs, for doing nothing more than being a bit short with a reported in an interview (which is what Cav did here, he didn't swear or saying anything particularly abusive, he just spoke his mind a little forthrightly), is the day I'll probably stop watching that sport.
Old 30 July 2012, 09:27 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

It was a sarcastic put down. I just think its childish and petulant.
Old 30 July 2012, 09:29 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nik52wrx
They pay him to ride a bike not be a public relations spokesman.
To me it just shows the passion and commitment he has, the race didn't go to plan so why put on a false face, he was pissed off.

Not as if he told him to f**k off
How is that a sign of commitment?
Old 30 July 2012, 09:41 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

another interview he gave at the same time

maybe he was just fed-up being interviewed twice by the BBC ??!!??
Old 30 July 2012, 09:48 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

He has committed his existence on this planet to being one of the best professional sprinters of all time. He has committed himself to mile upon mile of training, committed to years of strict diets. All of this to achieve one of his main goals, to win an Olympic gold medal.
As this didn't happen he was a little pissed off hence he was short in the interview.

How is that a sign of commitment?
Old 30 July 2012, 10:11 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nik52wrx
He has committed his existence on this planet to being one of the best professional sprinters of all time. He has committed himself to mile upon mile of training, committed to years of strict diets. All of this to achieve one of his main goals, to win an Olympic gold medal.
As this didn't happen he was a little pissed off hence he was short in the interview.
No it doesn't follow at all the being unhappy at losing causes on to be sarcastic with press.
Old 30 July 2012, 10:13 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

No it doesn't follow at all the being unhappy at losing causes on to be sarcastic with press.
Old 31 July 2012, 12:05 AM
scud8
Scooby Regular

It was a stupid question because Cavendish's condition had no bearing on the result - he got over all the climbs and it was up to his team to chase down the break-aways and engineer a bunch sprint finish, and they couldn't do it. I could understand him being frustrated by the questioning because some of these reporters are just a waste of the licence fee.

It's similar ignorance to Paul Hayward in The Telegraph who filed a blog entry on Saturday with the headline "Cavendish crumbles under expectation". He got such a slating in the comments by people who actually understand something about cycling that he went back and changed the headline a few hours later to "Cavendish suffers under expectation".

Last edited by scud8; 31 July 2012 at 12:10 AM.
Old 31 July 2012, 12:27 AM
belliott69
Scooby Regular

Got to admit i don't know bugger all about cycling but every race i've watched lately is won by one of the people who break off into the leader pack. Why the hell don't some of ours just go for it.

Quick Reply: cavendish - question for cycling buffs