Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

What is it with some folk?

Search this Thread

Old 12 July 2012, 12:28 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is it with some folk?

Selling our X5 on Gumtree for £9500 and this morning i found an email with "will you take 6500, i can pay asap"

I replied with "No i won't."

Here's the email i have just got back from the guy...
"try saying what you want for somthing next time and you might get it!and try not putting it next to a better model with less miles..........and cheeper,good luck"

Now, i don't have a clue what other X5 he's on about, but how is the advert not telling him what price i'm after(£9500 in bold) and because i'm not about to drop nearly 3k, make it difficult to understand??
Old 12 July 2012, 12:39 PM
Ste RB5138
Scooby Regular

Sounds like the same sort of people you get on eBay. Arseholes
Old 12 July 2012, 12:40 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Send one back telling him he's a prat!!!
Old 12 July 2012, 12:46 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Replied with this...
The advert says i'm looking for £9500 so i'm not about to drop nearly 3k and as for whatever other car your referring to, i have priced MY car as i see fit and not to make it the cheapest car ever.

Will leave calling him names just now. lol
Old 12 July 2012, 12:50 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Tell him you accept & if he turns up with the money (he won't) then tell him to **** off!

TX.
Old 12 July 2012, 01:09 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Old 12 July 2012, 01:10 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its like watching American Pawn stars,Its worth $4000 i want at least $3000
I'll give you 500 bucks for it...
Old 12 July 2012, 01:30 PM
dukeoffenland
Scooby Regular

i had that before, some chav wanting my mrs old clio..... i wanted a grand for it as it was a low miler, well looked after example,
Yeah always gonna be rough and abused examples for 500 but this was a top example and nothing wrong and pretty mint !!

He was offering me 300 !!! did the usual polite decline then got really abusive via email then phoning me constantly,
Ended up reporting to the police!
Old 12 July 2012, 01:57 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Trying to sell my late father's campervan through various web sites at the moment. One bloke rings up to explain to me that he could buy the van chassis that the camper is based upon for less than £1k given the age, mileage etc. and that he'd be better off buying a caravan and a car. So why the **** are you ringing me??!? A Peugeot van might be worth £900 but this isn't that it's a coachbuilt motorhome and is worth at least £12k, I've checked to see what they sell for.

Old 12 July 2012, 02:03 PM
brendy76
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by drb5
Selling our X5 on Gumtree for £9500 and this morning i found an email with "will you take 6500, i can pay asap"

"try saying what you want for somthing next time and you might get it!and try not putting it next to a better model with less miles..........and cheeper,good luck"

Now, i don't have a clue what other X5 he's on about, but how is the advert not telling him what price i'm after(£9500 in bold) and because i'm not about to drop nearly 3k, make it difficult to understand??
I think he is half saying that next time you want to buy something, offer silly money as you never know (in other words, be a cheeky *******). He also probably had some search rules set and yours came up beside a dog.
Old 12 July 2012, 02:05 PM
Saxo Boy
Scooby Regular

I recently sold my uncles 2008 X5 and it was absolute hell. I ran ads in PH and AT for a number of weeks. In that time, I had 3-1 scammers to interested parties. The very vast majority of people contacting me said stuff in their first email along the lines of, "I want your car, it is perfect for me, I will pay the full asking price. Please [scam A: give me all the documentation and vehicle numbers] [scam B: accept a £6000 deposit and then send £4000 to the shipping company to collect the car]."

Those that were interested were usually asking for stupid amounts of money off. All in all it was a hateful process and I'm glad the bloody thing is gone.
Old 12 July 2012, 02:54 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

should have said yes, come and get it, when he got there say, I was joking of course like you were.
Old 12 July 2012, 04:17 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

There are that many people desperate for money at the money you will probably find there are people willing to drop it 3k for a quick easy transaction, if he gets that deal who is the prat?

I was brought up with the phrase "You dont get if you dont ask" Albeit, I wouldnt be so cheeky and ask someone to drop 3k on a car sale if I was seriously looking to buy it. But I certainly wouldnt call people names for being straight up and asking if I'd accept £xxxx. I would probably laugh at them but they'll be laughing when they do find someone willing to let a massive bargain go.
Old 12 July 2012, 04:20 PM
Tony Harrington
Scooby Regular

Sounds like an III which equates to - IGNORE IGNORANT IDIOTS
Old 12 July 2012, 04:45 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by drb5

That thicko (like many others on Ebay, Autotrader etc.) must take you for a peanut. I reckon he thinks that you have put a high price on your car to attract the buyers, but you are desperate enough to part with your good car for whatever you are offered. I have had these experiences, and I tell you, I don't even answer their cr@p. These unreasonable pests lack communication skills, and they judge you by their own standards. Perhaps he polishes his turd vehicles, asks a lot of money for them, and then ends up selling them for pennies. That is why he doesn't value what others sell with confidence. You have responded well to him. If he tries communicating with you again, just blank his emails and queries, or even add him to your spammers' list. He is a time waster pr!ck. He doesn't sound right in his head, and I wouldn't do any business with him, if I were you. I'd end up hitting him if I have to listen to his negotiations face to face.

Last edited by Turbohot; 12 July 2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old 12 July 2012, 04:49 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I could write a book on selling cars and the bloody morons that it attracts. Then again there are plenty of moronic sellers out there as well. I once drove 140 miles to look at a car only for the bloke to ring me up when I was 10 miles from his house to tell me his girlfriend had decided not to sell the car.
Old 12 July 2012, 05:50 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kingofturds
I could write a book on selling cars and the bloody morons that it attracts. Then again there are plenty of moronic sellers out there as well. I once drove 140 miles to look at a car only for the bloke to ring me up when I was 10 miles from his house to tell me his girlfriend had decided not to sell the car.
Sad, isn't it? Some people are just very inconsiderate. A lot of time, people make excuses of their partners for not keeping to their promises. A woman pulled out of a deal with me and gave me the story of her split with her husband. I don't know if it was genuine or not, but it certainly wasn't convenient for me. People should make up their mind before putting their things up for sale. Fickle-minded dottyheads.
Old 12 July 2012, 06:30 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

I sold a set of 4 old 13" steel wheels on ebay a couple months ago (they went for £20), and some man travelled all the way from London; about 120miles to pick them up... crazy

I believe that sales should be fair for both parties involved, and when I bought my car, I managed to knock him off a respectable £500 which we believed to be fair for the both of us, but I had travelled from Gloucester to Yorkshire to pick it up, which is a 400mile round trip.

Knocking someone down stupid amounts of money is a p1ss take and disrespectable IMO, and they'd just be wasting their time if they tried it on with me

Last edited by LSherratt; 12 July 2012 at 06:32 PM.
Old 12 July 2012, 06:57 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LSherratt
I sold a set of 4 old 13" steel wheels on ebay a couple months ago (they went for £20), and some man travelled all the way from London; about 120miles to pick them up... crazy

I believe that sales should be fair for both parties involved, and when I bought my car, I managed to knock him off a respectable £500 which we believed to be fair for the both of us, but I had travelled from Gloucester to Yorkshire to pick it up, which is a 400mile round trip.

Knocking someone down stupid amounts of money is a p1ss take and disrespectable IMO, and they'd just be wasting their time if they tried it on with me
very true.

When I was selling selling my Scooby, an illiterate chav emailed me that he wud bye it for 500 quid, cash deel, pick next our, and I should withdraw it from the selling venue. Cheek, man! Who the hell did he think he was??? I just blanked the vermin's email. Then there was another one wanting to pay his price (about 600 quid less than my asking price), stayed persistant with his offer, and kept telling me that people would promise to buy my car, but won't ever pay the asking price and blah, blah, blah.....Anyway, he rang me after it got sold for the price I wanted. I told him that the buyer had been, paid, and collected the car. Then the moidering chap got cross with me because he really wanted my car, and would have paid my asking price in full. I was quite touched that he really wanted my car so much, but I politely told him where to go because he had no right to get p!ssy with me.
Old 12 July 2012, 08:35 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

If people say they can get a newer , cleaner , lower mileage , cheaper price etc. Tell them to buy it and stop bothering you. Would you go into a shop and ask for a worse product that was priced higher , to be made cheaper ? They are chancing their arm , but are also wasting your time.
Old 12 July 2012, 09:20 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

A premium sub that is dropping to pond scum prices will attract them trying to drag it lower, sell anything aspirational as it gets older you can attract the idiots, had two perfect EBay car deals recently ourselves, one bought and one sold, hold out for your price and don't take mongs personally, there is a sane punter with cash out there somewhere.
Old 12 July 2012, 09:30 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Watch this!
Old 12 July 2012, 09:37 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

A roofer offered me £1500 for my Scoob....I sold it for £5K two months later.

I felt like hitting him (the Roofer, not the buyer).
Old 12 July 2012, 09:50 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Get a quote off him for some work on your roof, then tell him you can easily get the work done for less than a third of the price!
Old 12 July 2012, 11:02 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't even bother advertising or buying anything from the gumtree, over the value of 500 quid.
Its full of scumbags because its free to advertise, and the same sort of people think anything on there is for sale should be cheaper than it is.

I know its hard to sell a car anyway, but for an almost 10 grand motor, you want to be chucking that on autotrader at the very least.
Old 12 July 2012, 11:12 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

A girl I know asked me to get her 206 valued. So I asked for mileage, year, spec etc and if it had ever been in an accident. She said it hadn't. The photos on her facebook page shows it nicely crunched a few weeks ago.

She's trying to chip people down on their cars, but wants more than hers is worth, plus she's happy to lie about it's history.
Old 13 July 2012, 12:50 AM
speedking
Scooby Regular

You should have written back offering to sell for £12.5 k, the idiot would then split the difference, so you'd get your £9.5k and he would get a bargain
Old 13 July 2012, 08:58 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

This really winds me up when selling stuff, and not just cars. Everyone wants a bargain, of course, but some people have a strange sense of entitlement to one and can get quite p*ssy when an offer is rejected.

When I sell things, I normally set an asking price which is the amount I actually want for the item. Hardly rocket science, really? I mean, that's what a "price" actually is - a reasonable amount that a buyer should expect to have to pay, not a completely irrelevant figure that's out the window the moment someone calls up.

I'm always open to reasonable offers, but if I advertise something at £100, I'd expect to be offered £80 and to end up selling at £90. What winds me up is how some people would immediately expect me to drop my asking price to £80 and then to use that as a basis to start haggling down further. No! You're not automatically entitled to a discount just because your name is Brian, or you once saw a similar item that had been fished out of a river sell for less on a foreign Ebay site.

If you think the thing I'm selling is good value at the advertised price, cough up and we'll both be happy. If you think the price is a bit salty, make me a reasonable offer and we'll talk about it - but YOU have to make the first offer, not me.

And if you're only going to offer me half what I'm asking, you can withdraw the cash in £5 notes, roll them up as tightly as you feel necessary, and shove them up into a nice safe place while you go out and earn some more.
Old 13 July 2012, 11:51 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

From another point of view, when I was looking to part ex the Clio, I had no problems with it not being worth much, but some of the aggressive replies I got back were really childish.

Comments about how they could buy and sell my car for pennies all day long, why would they waste their time with a car like that etc.

The car as it happens was in excellent condition and a reply of no thanks, or even making me an offer of a part ex would have been fine, if it was too low, so be it, I'd move on.

Try to be nicer to us idiots