Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

costco worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 20 June 2012, 09:30 PM
l1verp00l
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default costco worth it?

what sort of savings are to be had by shopping at costco?
Old 20 June 2012, 09:31 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

enough to make it worth it, my family finds
Old 20 June 2012, 09:45 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how can you get one of there cards though?
Old 20 June 2012, 09:53 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

the other one is bookers
Old 20 June 2012, 09:54 PM
Johnny E
Scooby Regular

Tyre's 20% of at the moment
Old 20 June 2012, 09:58 PM
BULLITT
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ian
http://www.costco.co.uk/membership/

Originally Posted by Johnny E
Tyre's 20% of at the moment
They'll be just about round the regular retail price then, never found their tyres to be particularly cheap compared to online places.
Old 20 June 2012, 10:04 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

just pop into your local costco and complete the joining form, iirc you need some sort of proof of id, they will usually take your picture and make your card for you while you wait
Old 20 June 2012, 10:05 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ian
Go to thier website and sign up? Think you will still need to go to the store to pick up tr card, or I had to here (Canada) as the membership card has a photo on the back of it

Guess you could pop down to the local store and do it all there too

As for wether it is worth it, well if you want or need multiple / bulk(ish) items then yes. For example we grab cases of water, paper towels, tea and other stuff and the larger size packs do give a good saving over the supermarket

It is also good for big electronic items; eg televisions. I saved at least $200 - $300 on my tv a few months back. They also extend the warranty as part of their concierge service which is part of the membership.

The only downside I have found is that the only credit card they take is American express, it is cash, cheque ( I think) and debit card

If you know someone with membership then ask them to take you inside as a guest so you can have a look and see if it would be useful to you
Old 20 June 2012, 11:06 PM
l1verp00l
Scooby Regular

I did pop into one but they wouldn't let me in for a browse. might just have to stump up the £30 and hope it is worth it.
Old 21 June 2012, 07:03 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

To make Costco shopping pay dividends you MUST remember the following:

Costco is not cheap on everything, only certain products and for certain periods. Learn what are good deals and don't be drawn in by things you don't really need to buy. Last year I needed a new Samsung 38" tv and amazon was miles cheaper on pretty much all tvs and had better warranty offers. However, waited a few months and Costco finally had a large batch of the very model delivered with a free 3 year warranty as part of the package and a great saving on RRP.

We shop there a lot and a mate of mine works in the tyre bay at our local Costco and with regards to the 20% tyres, worth remembering that they only really stock Michelins which are definitely not cheap in the first place.

Cheap if you are able to buy non perishables in bulk and for us that is:

Beer:
24x330ml Peroni = £17.99 + VAT
48 toilet rolls for much cheapness
Kitchen rolls
Salmon for freezing
Chicken for freezing
Duracell batteries
Boxes of wine
Washing powder
Car wash solution wash n wax stuff

Also their optician in our area is first rate and have used them for the last few years.

That's obviously just an example of how we save cash with them but just remember that many products can be has cheaper elsewhere and don't fall into the 'magpie trap' of buying shiny stuff you don't need.

Also when you have a card, they will post you details of offers that are coming up over the next few weeks and those are heavily discounted.

Last edited by SiPie; 21 June 2012 at 07:04 AM.
Old 21 June 2012, 07:19 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

What SiPie says. Not everything is cheaper all the time you need to keep your eye out. The stuff that always seems cheaper

1) Batteries (have two small boys with toys so need loads of these)

2) Diet coke

3) Prawns, Scallops for freezing

4) Jack Daniels. £17 in Costco, £25 in my local Sainsburys!!

5) Champagne (only really useful for Christmas etc)

6) Toiletries

Personally if I was going to buy a high value item like a TV I'd rather pay an extra £20 and buy it from Costco than the cheapest on line retailer. Their returns policy/after sales service is second to none imho
Old 21 June 2012, 07:39 AM
Saxo Boy
Scooby Regular

Worth it for meat, juice/beer and toiletries. We buy chicken, lamb and fillet steak in bulk and freeze it. The meat is far better quality than at the supermarket and works out much cheaper overall. The big pack of chicken breasts has far bigger breasts [oooh er] than those in Tesco with far less fatty/****ty bits. We also get Pepsi Max, toilet rolls and watch out for beer offers. They usually have a coupon book near the front door; make sure you pick one up and look to see if there are suitable offers.
Old 21 June 2012, 08:47 AM
JohnSmith
Scooby Regular

Never found the beer to that cheap really, petfood yes a decent amount cheaper

It is very easy to fall into the ooh look at that I will buy it trap
Old 21 June 2012, 10:36 AM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

As others have said, not everything is cheaper but some real savings can be found on some items.

Remember to look at the prices carefully! The price in large print is without VAT!!! Look at the smaller price underneath for the real cost.

Also you will find that apart from their own stuff (Kirkland) it's all branded merchandise so it's no good if you are comparing prices of branded things with Tesco/Asda own brand.

You can get some good prices on watches and jewellery.

I've bought my last 2 TV's from there (both Panasonic) and I've saved over £500 on those two items alone and they both came with 5 year warranties.

You WILL get sucked in and end up buying loads of stuff you didn't want We call it the £100 shop because even if you go in for one item you end up buying loads of other stuff and spending £100.

It's great if you're having a party or a BBQ, loads of good quality meat, drinks and other food stuff for good prices.
Old 21 June 2012, 10:49 AM
JohnSmith
Scooby Regular

LOL we had to stop going for a while as we would only nip in to get Skippy Peanut Butter and Sacla Tomato & Basil pasta sauce and would end up spending 4-500 quid every time
Old 21 June 2012, 11:12 AM
Saxo Boy
Scooby Regular

Skippy Peanut Butter
This stuff is otherworldly good. I hate what it does to my waistline though!
Old 21 June 2012, 11:15 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

*sniff* I wish the beer sales here weren't so regulated (The Beer Store and LCBO are the only places to buy beer - Some supermarkets do have a wine store within a store thing, but that's it)
Old 21 June 2012, 11:47 AM
Skoobie Dhu
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Fresh meat is excellent quality - may seem expensive compared to supermarkets but the quality is much better - the fillet steaks are amazing.

If you're buying chicken breasts for the freezer - the packs of ready frozen british grade a chicken breasts are excellent value - something like £5.50/kilo and no added water.

As mentioned above, the kirkland pack of batteries are very good quality and price - 48 alkaline aa's are £7.00 or thereabouts.

If you use bottled water, the kirkland 35 pack 500ml work out about 12p a bottle.

Join Costco and you'll never run out of toilet rolls again.

Under their warranty system, and outside the 12 month manufacturers warranty, I've returned 3 carpet cleaners, 1 washing machine and 2 xbox360's. Each time getting a full refund, no questions asked. I ended up in pocket each time I returned the XBox's, as the price of the new one I bought was cheaper than the refund.
Old 21 June 2012, 02:07 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

You've all forgotten the cakes.

and the pizzas

The cakes are fecking huge, and the buns are like something out of Land of the Giants. The Pizzas are just massive and stupidly cheap.

Saying that though - it's worth it for the bloody washing powder alone.
Old 21 June 2012, 02:13 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Skoobie Dhu
Fresh meat is excellent quality - may seem expensive compared to supermarkets but the quality is much better - the fillet steaks are amazing.

If you're buying chicken breasts for the freezer - the packs of ready frozen british grade a chicken breasts are excellent value - something like £5.50/kilo and no added water.

As mentioned above, the kirkland pack of batteries are very good quality and price - 48 alkaline aa's are £7.00 or thereabouts.

If you use bottled water, the kirkland 35 pack 500ml work out about 12p a bottle.

Join Costco and you'll forever find toilet rolls under your bed, in the wardrobe, in the garage....

Under their warranty system, and outside the 12 month manufacturers warranty, I've returned 3 carpet cleaners, 1 washing machine and 2 xbox360's. Each time getting a full refund, no questions asked. I ended up in pocket each time I returned the XBox's, as the price of the new one I bought was cheaper than the refund.
FTFY
Old 21 June 2012, 02:24 PM
Skoobie Dhu
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL, after being a member for 5 or 6 years, I'm trying hard to forget and walk past the cakes/pizza's/hot dogs and all the other not so healthy stuff.

I read that 1 litre of JD's is on offer at £22 just now
Old 21 June 2012, 02:26 PM
Saxo Boy
Scooby Regular

My favourite thing about Costco is the hot dog and refill coke for £1.50 at the cafe!
Old 21 June 2012, 02:26 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Skoobie Dhu

Join Costco and you'll never run out of toilet rolls again.

This is why I'd rather spend a bit more and buy (certain things) from Costco than the cheapest price I can find something on the internet.

Their aftersales service is second to none.
Old 21 June 2012, 03:11 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by SiPie
To make Costco shopping pay dividends you MUST remember the following:

Costco is not cheap on everything, only certain products and for certain periods. Learn what are good deals and don't be drawn in by things you don't really need to buy. Last year I needed a new Samsung 38" tv and amazon was miles cheaper on pretty much all tvs and had better warranty offers. However, waited a few months and Costco finally had a large batch of the very model delivered with a free 3 year warranty as part of the package and a great saving on RRP.

We shop there a lot and a mate of mine works in the tyre bay at our local Costco and with regards to the 20% tyres, worth remembering that they only really stock Michelins which are definitely not cheap in the first place.

Cheap if you are able to buy non perishables in bulk and for us that is:

Beer:
24x330ml Peroni = £17.99 + VAT
48 toilet rolls for much cheapness
Kitchen rolls
Salmon for freezing
Chicken for freezing
Duracell batteries
Boxes of wine
Washing powder
Car wash solution wash n wax stuff

Also their optician in our area is first rate and have used them for the last few years.

That's obviously just an example of how we save cash with them but just remember that many products can be has cheaper elsewhere and don't fall into the 'magpie trap' of buying shiny stuff you don't need.

Also when you have a card, they will post you details of offers that are coming up over the next few weeks and those are heavily discounted.
Its a very similar affair with MAKRO.

Usually day to day stuff available as single or in retail sized packs is no cheaper. But teh bigger wholesale/bulk stuff is better. Unless there are offers on. Electronics are always hit and miss.....always keep google shopping handy on your smart phone when walking around

And don't forget to add the VAT!!

Last edited by ALi-B; 21 June 2012 at 03:15 PM.
Old 21 June 2012, 03:43 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

I have a Costco card but don't think I've got the full benefit of it yet due to the nearest one being in Milton Keynes, so not just a "pop to the shops" distance. We recently had a party so I went there for a couple of carrot cakes (awesome!) and some other bits and pieces. I am reluctant to buy toilet rolls, cos the quantities are HUGE! Dishwasher tablets are the best though, I bought 2 packs of 84 Finish ones for £17 or something.... Will last us ages! Also, the cafe is extremely cheap and the ice cream is lovely!

As a relatively new shopper there, there are some funny quirks you have to get used to, e.g having your card checked on the way in and your trolley checked on the way out.
Old 21 June 2012, 03:49 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Agree on teh diswasher tabs (the Finish Power Powder is usually even cheaper if you can be bothered to mess with it). Its also the only place where you can get decent sized packs of washing powder.

Bog and Kitchen Roll is a pain, but again buy a few months worth which means less bulk on the weekly shop.

Last edited by ALi-B; 21 June 2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old 21 June 2012, 03:54 PM
Saxo Boy
Scooby Regular

Bulk bogroll is invaluable if - like me - a clean exit is a 1:100 occurrence
Old 21 June 2012, 03:56 PM
ChrisB

The 24 pack of big Cookies is always hard to resist

We went last Saturday and filled up the freezer. Takes a bit of time once home to individually bag up all the meat (eg pork lamb steaks) into pairs or 500g chunks (minced beef) but worth the effort. I can't remember the last time we bought soap tablets in the supermarket since joining.

Out of interest, are they as tight / specific on membership groups as the website makes out?
Old 21 June 2012, 04:13 PM
Dr.No
Scooby Regular

I saw Cliff Richard in Costco Reading a few years ago.... someone else pushing his trolley for him though (well, you would wouldn't you).

Nice big parking spaces at Costco as well, for proper sized cars!
Old 21 June 2012, 04:17 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Dr.No
Nice big parking spaces at Costco as well, for proper sized cars!
Oh yes, one of the best things about it!

All car parks should be like this!

Quick Reply: costco worth it?