Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Wedding reception meals & costs

Search this Thread

Old 20 June 2012, 07:08 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wedding reception meals & costs

I've been talking to various people since starting my hog roasting business and have been truly shocked about what some people have paid or been quoted for meals, and also had a laugh at how tight some people are.

So I thought I would ask what you folks had and, if you don't mind saying, what you paid.

The tightest *******s so far were trying to get me to spend a day catering for them, for £20 above my costs, before I would get any wages for myself let alone a profit.

One job I just quoted on nearly made me fall off my seat - the young lady had been quoted by the venue £3000 for a 150 person hog roast, based on the pig, a bit of bread stuff to put it in and stuffing.
The venue told her that if she wants someone else to cater, they will charge them £500 to let the other caterer in.
Old 20 June 2012, 07:26 PM
marcevs72
Scooby Regular

i was lucky and had military wedding so everyone in uniform and not having to buy suits etc,used a masonic lodge thats was free and just had to pay for food and went to edinburgh staying at the new leath docks apartments and even flew up from plymouth and cost 3.5k all in.dont see the point of starting married life in stupid amounts of debt for 1 day that a lot of people do for everyone else when the day is just about 2 people.
Old 20 June 2012, 07:30 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Damn shame you are so far away, John. Hog roasts are getting very popular at the golf events, where I work
Can't help on wedding costs, sorry. I'll take a look at how much the last golf event was charged and let you know.
Old 20 June 2012, 08:13 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lee247
Damn shame you are so far away, John. Hog roasts are getting very popular at the golf events, where I work
Can't help on wedding costs, sorry. I'll take a look at how much the last golf event was charged and let you know.
Cheers

I'm just astounded that a venue can ask £20 a head for what's basically a hot sandwich!
Old 20 June 2012, 09:49 PM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

I've emailed my SIL, they had a hog roast last summer.

I planned a Golden Wedding party last year, very similar to an actual wedding in style. Nice hotel, decorated room, silver-service three course meal with bottles of wine on the table plus tea and coffee, was around £23 per head. I'd looked at other places and been quoted anything from £20 - £80 and a lot of them were set menus with no room for change.

With that in mind I wouldn't expect to pay £20 per head for a hog roast.
Old 20 June 2012, 10:01 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

I had a smallish wedding, around 45 guests in a five star hotel. The cost per head was around £40 per head, which provided for tea . coffee & shortbread on arrival at the venue, a three course meal followed by tea or coffee and wedding cake.

The food was poor, despite checking when booking the reception that it was cooked in the hotel kitchen and not catered in.

When it comes to weddings, you can basically charge what you like.
Old 20 June 2012, 10:19 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

I've actually told the missus that I'll be doing the hog roast for our wedding.
Old 20 June 2012, 11:50 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Wink

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
I've actually told the missus that I'll be doing the spit roast for our wedding.
efa
Old 21 June 2012, 12:04 AM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tarmac terror

The food was poor, despite checking when booking the reception that it was cooked in the hotel kitchen and not catered in.
£40 quid for all that and you are surprised its was no good ?

Last edited by Luan Pra bang; 21 June 2012 at 12:06 AM.
Old 21 June 2012, 12:29 AM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hog roasts
We have a place in Cebu phillipines and hog roasts are called licheon over there
Wifes cousin does them at very large 6ft pig fully rosted costs 4000 peso which about £55 nowadays
That size is big and is for weddings and big funerals
The average wage is the phillipines is £15 a week so a licheon is nearly a months wages
We always have a small one when we get there to treat about 30/40 people which costs us about £30
I have helped kill the pig and dress it and insert the pole through its backside and out of its mouth and it normally takes 5-6 hours too cook over the fire outside
Tastes lovely and is a must when we get over there
Think the basic pig costs about £30-£35 so the wife's cousin sometimes makes £20!which is more then. Weeks wages in Cebu

My wedding costs
First one in 1986 cost evil ex mother 10k
My own wedding which i paid for 12 years ago cost only £2650
Reception was a £1000
,night do £400 inc disco
Wedding dress hire for misses £110
Photographer £130
American Stretch limo £250
Venue at Gretna green and minister £150
Honey moon Paris £500 and other odds and sods £150'

It can be done a wedding on a budget

Guy who used to work for me got married on register officer £70
Flowers £10
And 8 of us went for. Bar meal which cost a tenner each
Old 21 June 2012, 07:22 AM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

SIL paid £850 for a hog roast to feed 150. This included meat (the hog plus a small amount of beef for a few who don't eat pork) buns, stuffing and apple sauce, also coleslaw and salad and some new potatoes. The company who provided it are a local long-established butchers so presumably they would be paying less for their hogs.
Old 21 June 2012, 09:00 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

We paid £1k for a large buffet at our wedding party for around 150 guests and that included the canapes as the guests arrived. I'd expect to pay about the same for a similar sized hog.
Old 21 June 2012, 09:11 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Wifes sister got married a couple of weeks ago. 100 guests and the FIL arranged £3 a head.

Needless to say it was sh1te - granted we were up north but not even the locals would touch the black pudding jauntily slapped on the tin foil covered tables. We left early with the kids and had a pizza.

The venue was some grotty pub's back room, the kid doing the photos was still at college and she's managed to make everyone look a bit like the extras from the Walking Dead. We had to pay for our own suits and I got the kids changed after so I changed myself so for £90 I wore the suit for about 2 hours. No one else really bought the B&G anything so I paid for a hotel room for them - when asking are there any nice hotels in the area the MIL first response was "Theres a premier inn down the road" - well and truly says it all I'm afraid.

Got them a nice enough place for £70. Tank of fuel there and back £80, week off work for me, week off work for the wife so I'd say we probably paid more than the B&G just to go to the wedding - not that I'm bitter about the whole thing!!!

I'd be stunned if the whole lot cost them more than £1000.
Old 21 June 2012, 09:57 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I was quoted 600 i think for one in grassington, but i decided to not bother as weather was gonna be crap and i wanted it outside
Old 21 June 2012, 10:06 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
Wifes sister got married a couple of weeks ago. 100 guests and the FIL arranged £3 a head.

Needless to say it was sh1te - granted we were up north but not even the locals would touch the black pudding jauntily slapped on the tin foil covered tables. We left early with the kids and had a pizza.

The venue was some grotty pub's back room, the kid doing the photos was still at college and she's managed to make everyone look a bit like the extras from the Walking Dead. We had to pay for our own suits and I got the kids changed after so I changed myself so for £90 I wore the suit for about 2 hours. No one else really bought the B&G anything so I paid for a hotel room for them - when asking are there any nice hotels in the area the MIL first response was "Theres a premier inn down the road" - well and truly says it all I'm afraid.

Got them a nice enough place for £70. Tank of fuel there and back £80, week off work for me, week off work for the wife so I'd say we probably paid more than the B&G just to go to the wedding - not that I'm bitter about the whole thing!!!

I'd be stunned if the whole lot cost them more than £1000.

You stories of the wife's 'family' always raise a smile. My mother remarried just under two years ago for around £3-4,000. That was for the church, reception, 2 buffet type meals and everything else included. We did have to pay for suit hire and Nats chief bridesmaid dress etc. The reception and night time do we're in a big function room over hotel/castle but it was lovely and a proper church wedding at least. Food worked out around £7-8 a head I think and for buffet stuff was exceptional, ie no Smart Price sausage rolls.
And I arranged a 1973 Roller for her wedding car and did a superb speech (gave her away as FoTB).
Old 21 June 2012, 11:22 AM
markb_s1
Scooby Regular

not sure it's much help re hog roasts... but paid 150 a head for a meal at the 4 seasons grnad ballroom in jakarta for my wedding earlier this month (was approx 100 people) and will be paying around 75 a head for my other wedding (don't ask!) later this year at the institute of directors in pall mall. IOD does not include drinks in this price though, and the Jakarta one was booze free as it was a muslim ceremony
Old 21 June 2012, 11:29 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markb_s1
not sure it's much help re hog roasts... but paid 150 a head for a meal at the 4 seasons grnad ballroom in jakarta for my wedding earlier this month (was approx 100 people) and will be paying around 75 a head for my other wedding (don't ask!) later this year at the institute of directors in pall mall. IOD does not include drinks in this price though, and the Jakarta one was booze free as it was a muslim ceremony
£15,000

I hope the cuisine was exquisite !!
Old 21 June 2012, 11:42 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

£15,000!!! You get truffles and caviar?
Old 21 June 2012, 11:49 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Our reception was £10k, but just a night time party as we were married outside the UK.

The actual wedding was $500USD though
Old 21 June 2012, 12:34 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

You could always cancel the hog roast and give them bread,butter and jam!

Les
Old 22 June 2012, 10:02 AM
markb_s1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
£15,000

I hope the cuisine was exquisite !!

I have no complaints!
Old 22 June 2012, 10:04 AM
markb_s1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ant
£15,000!!! You get truffles and caviar?

Nope, but if you want to have Western food as well as Indonesian food over there it can command a bit of a premium.

I should probably mention that they didn't charge for the use of the room, but at that money I don't really see why they should!
Old 22 June 2012, 12:26 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For my 40th, had some food early on and bought a load of barmcakes and then later I sent the eldest round to the Chippy for 20 bags of chips and everybody had a chip barm to soak up the booze.