Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Only 16 threads posted on today.

Search this Thread

Old 18 June 2012, 05:58 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Only 16 threads posted on today.

The end is nigh for Scoobynet by the look of it. Just 16 threads posted on in a day.
Old 18 June 2012, 05:58 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

One more to go for me to 10,000.
Old 18 June 2012, 06:25 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

How can you have 2 posts at 10,000

I expect they have closed your account

d
Old 18 June 2012, 06:41 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Always best to look on the bright side of life I reckon.

Les
Old 18 June 2012, 06:51 PM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
How can you have 2 posts at 10,000

I expect they have closed your account

d
All his posts have his current total. Not what number post it was.
Old 18 June 2012, 06:52 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

They might as well for what it's worth these days.
Old 18 June 2012, 06:52 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CREWJ
All his posts have his current total. Not what number post it was.
Correct, I think old Locky is going senile
Old 18 June 2012, 06:55 PM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip
It's ok, I won't hold it against him
Old 18 June 2012, 07:07 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

He may even be sharing a room with Lewis in the old folks home
Old 18 June 2012, 07:29 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

It's boring now that most of the personalities have gone elsewhere. I hardly even read it, let alone post!
Old 18 June 2012, 07:33 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

My usage has dropped on here loads to be honest it's about the 4th site I visit now, used to be the first.
Old 18 June 2012, 07:43 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

So ... where else?

I post here, PistonHeads (just in the computer section), MoneySavingExpert (mostly in the Techie section) and occasionally on ThinkBroadBand as I've been going there for years.
Old 18 June 2012, 08:39 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Much more life on PH, still pop by NSR once in a while
Old 18 June 2012, 08:40 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Tony Burns posted more than 16 times yesterday trying to convince me that years is not the plural of year unless it's more than 3 years.
Old 18 June 2012, 08:49 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by boxst
So ... where else?
Overclockers
Tamiya Club Forum
Oople
Audi Sport
RMWeb

Don't know why but just can't get into PH forum.

Meme thread in AutoSport forum is probably one of the funiest threads ever.
Old 18 June 2012, 09:06 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

I often comment on the Daily Mail if that counts.... Especially on the articles about gypsies
Old 18 June 2012, 09:09 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Been saying it for a couple of years now, but the forum is dying. No doubt Ali and his shadow will be along in a minute to tell us the stats are the highest ever, it's the weather, it's Facebook, it's the Muslims or whatever other stock excuse is published for regurgitation to the viewing public (all three of us ) in the mods section this week
Old 18 June 2012, 09:29 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip
I went senile a long time ago and I am NOT sharing quarters with Lewis

When I posted you had 2 posts with 10,000 on them but it's now changed so senility may be showing its ugly face

d

==============
Old 18 June 2012, 09:51 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

It could be worse, people on Bitter Wallet post about bumming foxes and Downton ****ing Abbey.
Old 18 June 2012, 09:53 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by f1_fan
the viewing public (all three of us
Two of whom are PSLewis.
Old 19 June 2012, 12:29 AM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Been saying it for a couple of years now, but the forum is dying. No doubt Ali and his shadow will be along in a minute to tell us the stats are the highest ever, it's the weather, it's Facebook, it's the Muslims or whatever other stock excuse is published for regurgitation to the viewing public (all three of us ) in the mods section this week
No offence, but what exactly do you want to blame?

My take is a lot of people do just move on for various reasons. Whether that be they move away from the marque, get bored of forums, get bored/fed up with some of the people on them, or because their mates have moved on and it's no fun any more. Well before IB took over, people were banned and people started to move on then, I can't help but think that has had some influence, and it has got worse as time has moved on. More and more older members follow suit and the place becomes quieter.

Newer members do come along, but something that crops up in that respect, is that they are made to feel unwelcome. The marque has changed and with it, the people coming on to the forum, but that doesn't mean they should be made to feel like outcasts. Maybe if time was spent getting to know people, educating some along the way (not in a belittling way-not aimed at you), then new friendships could be made, but oh no, people would rather moan that things have changed and become sh*t, instead of making any real effort.

People make forums, and if those people move away, or don't make the effort to post and contribute to keep the forum going, then yes, it will eventually die. IB don't control this, nor the mods (and I'm not saying either are faultless by the way), people control the destiny of forums. SN is maybe (most probably) never, ever going to be as busy as it was back in 'the good old days', before my time, but there is little point in looking back. Things change, people change and move on, for those who still like this place, make the effort to get it going a bit more perhaps?
Old 19 June 2012, 08:49 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

There are still some entertaining folks here. I often find something to have a good laugh at. It's probably just quiet as a lot of people will be on holiday etc.
Old 19 June 2012, 08:56 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

The reason 16 posts were made as the topics are hardly thought provoking, we get users on here who offer nothing but using this site as a personal shopper because they cant make a simple life decision which .....to buy.
Old 19 June 2012, 11:09 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lisawrx
You missed the point of my post which is not what is to blame as we all know that, but the fact that when these threads get posted we usually get a staunch denial from the mods that there is an issue and are told that the forum is as busy as ever and any variation we are seeing now is due to the weather LOL! At least you have not fallen into that trap so kudos to you for that

Newer members do come along, but something that crops up in that respect, is that they are made to feel unwelcome.
Fair comment in some cases but in others they arrive, ask loads of questions about their dump valves, HID bulbs etc. and when they get given proper advice from a long stading member that isn't what they wnat to hear argue with them and call them an idiot.

That I guess is the problem with our marque's earliest examples falling into the sub £1k category.

Aside from all that though issues with the way the for sale section is run (as a virtual scammer's paradise in some cases) and the generally inconsistent moderation haven't helped the site in the last few years. All IMO of course and that is not meant as a dig at you Lisa, you know I have always found your moderation to be my kind of moderation... that of some of your cohorts however ... well you know the rest!
Old 19 June 2012, 11:46 AM
RICK...
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I read a lot of threads and I can say I've only ever seen one or two where the newbie has had a hissy fit, but that's generally because they are spoken down to as if they couldn't possibly have any idea what they're talking about and made to look stupid.

The sole reason I stay on this site is because of the amount of knowledge there is. And it's the only reason I paid for my membership, as I felt I needed to give something back...

I've gone from brand new company cars/lease cars to buying a Classic Impreza. The most I could probably do when I got it four months ago is change the wheel! Thanks to this site every issue I've had I've managed to sort myself, which is a massive achievement for me lol, as I'd normally just pay a garage to do it!

When I first joined and had a browse, all I'd stumble across is bitching, arguments etc, so my first impressions of the site were pretty poor.

I also find it quite cliquey in places, I've tried to get involved in a few threads and just get totally blanked.

There are quite a few welcoming members and there are a lot of nice people, but the general feeling I get is that it's old school members only and newbies can do one!

edit - Oh and one last thing, I honestly don't think there is enough moderation on the forum as quite a few threads get way out of hand, this is the first time I've ever seen a moderator post since I joined!

Last edited by RICK...; 19 June 2012 at 11:49 AM.
Old 19 June 2012, 12:00 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RICK...
this is the first time I've ever seen a moderator post since I joined!
Lucky you
Old 19 June 2012, 12:26 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RICK...
The sole reason I stay on this site is because of the amount of knowledge there is. And it's the only reason I paid for my membership, as I felt I needed to give something back...

I've gone from brand new company cars/lease cars to buying a Classic Impreza. The most I could probably do when I got it four months ago is change the wheel! Thanks to this site every issue I've had I've managed to sort myself, which is a massive achievement for me lol, as I'd normally just pay a garage to do it!
Exactly what the site should be about IMO
Old 19 June 2012, 01:27 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

My take is a lot of people do just move on for various reasons. Whether that be they move away from the marque, get bored of forums, get bored/fed up with some of the people on them, or because their mates have moved on and it's no fun any more. Well before IB took over, people were banned and people started to move on then, I can't help but think that has had some influence, and it has got worse as time has moved on. More and more older members follow suit and the place becomes quieter.

Newer members do come along, but something that crops up in that respect, is that they are made to feel unwelcome. The marque has changed and with it, the people coming on to the forum, but that doesn't mean they should be made to feel like outcasts. Maybe if time was spent getting to know people, educating some along the way (not in a belittling way-not aimed at you), then new friendships could be made, but oh no, people would rather moan that things have changed and become sh*t, instead of making any real effort.

People make forums, and if those people move away, or don't make the effort to post and contribute to keep the forum going, then yes, it will eventually die. IB don't control this, nor the mods (and I'm not saying either are faultless by the way), people control the destiny of forums. SN is maybe (most probably) never, ever going to be as busy as it was back in 'the good old days', before my time, but there is little point in looking back. Things change, people change and move on, for those who still like this place, make the effort to get it going a bit more perhaps?

I love you Lisa I think its too often forgotten or misunderstood that your input and influence on the runnings of SN is held in very equal (if not higher) regard and respect amongst all of us

PS. Just to put some points to bed about what I've supposedly said in the past about SN's browsing numbers; I've never said the forum was as busy as ever unless server stats specifically said that (and it does have its peaks as well as its troughs), what incentive would I have to lie about or exaggerate those figures? Conversely what I have said has only ever been based upon the number of users shown as on line via the modCP as that's the only stats I have ever had at hand (this includes users with invisible mode enabled). Any reasoning behind those stats is both based on historical trends and my personal interpretation of them. Those reasons have never been factual just my opinion (am I'm still allowed to have one? ) based on the factual numerical statistics of both past and present. Of which, I've typically noticed that SN does suffer a summertime lull when compared to the Christmas periods, and weather does indeed make a difference (especially at weekends). Even what's on the TV appears to make a difference (such as England matches), because I've noticed and commented on it, it doesn't make it fact, so it shouldn't be purported that I claim that.

Furthermore, my prior opinions that I have often repeated in the past few years in threads topics like this and usually within the same post(s) of my justification of user numbers, is that forums are overall a dying breed for community/banter, this opinion of mine appears to have been been intentionally ignored (why is that?). Many forums are not what they once were (even PH) and I'm still of that opinion.

OK, hopefully with that clarified, what facts do I have? Currently: 151 members and 453 guests. So, my opinion on that? Yeah, not too brilliant, I'd have expected that with the sh**ty weather of late it'd be higher.....but the lurker count is pretty high (that'll sometimes include me as I don't have auto-login enabled).

I've not really been around much over the past few months either so can't really comment on recent trends . I've been too busy doing stuff (my main home PC hasn't been switched on for the past two weeks! ) and FWIW I intend to keep my web usage activity down so I can get on with more productive things in life (don't all rejoice at once...its been like this since New Years, if it hasn't been noticed – note my daily post count falling ). Maybe other people could be following suit just as a general course of life?

Of course other reasoning for falling numbers (other than my sporadic yet frequent absence ) could be just as valid; It could be the more abhorrent users driving away others, too many noobs, too much hearsay and not enough proper knowledge, trolls, the lack of trolls, the admin, the slow/buggy servers/DDOS attacks. Or it could be people have found somewhere better, busy at work, busy outside of work, on holiday. Whatever; Its all just guessing and in all likeliness its a combination of things. If a cynical approach is taken we can easily blame people, however I'd rather not blame anyone as those who do leave may not have a majority reason for doing so.

Last edited by ALi-B; 19 June 2012 at 01:36 PM.
Old 19 June 2012, 01:37 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

There should be a character count restriction for Ali
Old 19 June 2012, 01:41 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Can't really surmise things any better than the above. Saying that I don't think the end is nigh, Scoobynet is more than a car forum and many people choose to stay even when they move away from the Subaru marque. The doom mongers keep telling us Scoobynet is dying but I've been hearing such crap for years! The end isn't nigh, Scoobynet isn't finished.

Quick Reply: Only 16 threads posted on today.