Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Is politics dead?

Search this Thread

Old 13 June 2012, 01:38 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts
Default Is politics dead?

Now i know there supporters for libs, labour and cons on here.

But with all the crap kicking of about corruption, which we all know they are wether proven or not, does it mean than our whole political system is corrupted andno longer viable?
Old 13 June 2012, 01:46 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I suspect your brain is.
Old 13 June 2012, 01:49 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by JTaylor
I suspect your brain is.
please justify, cos if you dont question the system then i would ask you the same question.

I think the question I asked is a valid one, i'll give you that its not all of them, but when was the last time an election was won based on truth?
Old 13 June 2012, 03:54 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

In answer to your question: yes.

The end result is now just to see which party/individual can get the most out of the trough in the shortest time
Old 13 June 2012, 04:22 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

I would say no.

Sure there are some corrupt people in politics, although it's actually a small minority.
I think people go into politics because they care and are passionate about making things better. I'm sure people don't go into it to make money.

It's only simpleton's that believe all (or even most) politicians are corrupt. It's a kind of daft way of blaming politicians for all the world problems, rather than looking closer to home.
Old 13 June 2012, 04:38 PM
Carlh
Scooby Regular

if you have a view on anything, you could say you are being political.
Old 13 June 2012, 04:40 PM
Dirk Diggler 75
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar

The end result is now just to see which party/individual can get the most out of the trough in the shortest time
Agreed .............
Old 13 June 2012, 07:12 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
I would say no.

Sure there are some corrupt people in politics, although it's actually a small minority.
I think people go into politics because they care and are passionate about making things better. I'm sure people don't go into it to make money.

It's only simpleton's that believe all (or even most) politicians are corrupt. It's a kind of daft way of blaming politicians for all the world problems, rather than looking closer to home.
i agree there are some that enter this system with the goal of acheiving good for those they represent.
but ultimately for those josttleing at the top this is not the case, neither is it the case for those who try to suit fraudulenlty below the public radar.
it may well be that the system is flawed rather than the people directly, but the net result is the same.

between parties emphasis is put on belittling others and discrediting there work, before the effort of working together.
imo micro management is the way forward, regardlees of political influences, the local peoples feelings or welfare should be(after consideration) be at the forefront of deciding policeies. a one policy suits all, approach can never work imo
Old 13 June 2012, 07:39 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

I'll say it again.

In a meeting with some local MP's talking about the 3rd runway, we turned the conversation onto how many jobs it would create.

"Job's? We're not interested in job's" was the collective response.

Don't expect any politician to look after you, until they've worked out what is in it for them first.
Old 13 June 2012, 07:54 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

They are all *****.. End of.
Old 13 June 2012, 08:04 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

How many of them have had real life business experience where they had to compete on equal terms in the real world & be judged against their peers without mummy,daddy & 'friends' behind the scenes?
Old 13 June 2012, 08:26 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FlightMan
I'll say it again.

In a meeting with some local MP's talking about the 3rd runway, we turned the conversation onto how many jobs it would create.

"Job's? We're not interested in job's" was the collective response.

Don't expect any politician to look after you, until they've worked out what is in it for them first.
i hear you mate, that particular issue is very tentative with no real argument either way - in referance to Heathrow that is.

what was the collective response then?

there has to be a fine balance to keep most happy, the issue in the south east over Heathrow riases many subjects. And many MP'S choose to skirt the issue.
for me a 3rd runway at heathrow is a non brainer, but i dot not live in the surrounding areas, and its those people that must have a voice and interest imo, not people who are not affected in the slightest. should be a balance between local enviroment and supporting economic growth - hard to acheive, yes. impossible, i dont think so
Old 14 June 2012, 08:42 AM
Bonehead
Scooby Regular

I'm sure that there are some who go into politics with the right intent, but I'm equally sure that any that get anywhere are only it for themselves
Old 15 June 2012, 06:33 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I can remember the days when an MP was a respected and trusted person! A man who had been elected regarded it as an honour and he felt his major duty lay with working for the country and the people.

I was so disappointed when all the disgraceful scandal of their expenses came to light and also we see such a different attitude these days when it comes to priorities, such as their party and their own careers. They seem to do all thay can to get re-elected so that the gravy train can continue and they appear to be doing very little constructive work towards their real duties for the country and the people any more. They just seem to sit back and let it all happen with no real direction from themselves.

"All mouth and trousers" seems to come to mind!

My biggest worry is what will eventually happen in the not too distant future!

Les
Old 15 June 2012, 06:37 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by Leslie
I can remember the days when an MP was a respected and trusted person! A man who had been elected regarded it as an honour and he felt his major duty lay with working for the country and the people.

I was so disappointed when all the disgraceful scandal of their expenses came to light and also we see such a different attitude these days when it comes to priorities, such as their party and their own careers. They seem to do all thay can to get re-elected so that the gravy train can continue and they appear to be doing very little constructive work towards their real duties for the country and the people any more. They just seem to sit back and let it all happen with no real direction from themselves.

"All mouth and trousers" seems to come to mind!

My biggest worry is what will eventually happen in the not too distant future!

Les
Did any of them go to court over the expenses, as going off reports lots of them are still at it
Cameron worries me, how can we believe he can look after the Country when he can't even look after his own child
Old 16 June 2012, 09:43 AM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am sick to death of hearing on the news about phone hacking, rupert murdock, corruption, scandals, and various other repeated things. I am seriously fed up with it all... they've been talking about phone voicemail hacking for the past 5 months now on and off, f*ck sake.

I used to enjoy watching the news and politics, but I'm starting not to give a damn.
Old 16 June 2012, 12:01 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Have to agree with this...
Originally Posted by alcazar

..But also with this.

Originally Posted by Martin2005
I would say no.

Cameron really doesn't need to be a politician with all the **** that goes with it.
As PSL keeps telling us, he's got plenty of money (Cameron, as well as PSL) and possibly doesn't need to work again.

Obviously doing it because he wants to try and make a difference?

Last edited by zip106; 16 June 2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old 16 June 2012, 03:34 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lee247
Did any of them go to court over the expenses, as going off reports lots of them are still at it
Cameron worries me, how can we believe he can look after the Country when he can't even look after his own child
I am not sure Lee-I certainly think that they should have been prosecuted for theft with their illegal claims anyway.

I was very disappointed at how the party leaders did their best to protect those who had been caught out.

Les