Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Muslim question

Search this Thread

Old 08 June 2012, 06:24 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Muslim question

Guys ive got 3 new grads in my team one is a muslim who practices, he has to pray between i think 1 and 5 but also wont shake a womens hand.

Personally the guys is a good lad works hard

But ive had his boss on asking about this hand shaking issue, i dont see it an issue if thats his beliefs but the job role hes in is very customer facing not sales but consultancy.

Ive told his boss if hes any issues then he needs to speak to HR about it, and from my standpoint hes fine.

I think the reason the boss is keeping tabs on him is he met a high up VP and didnt shake her hand, which after the meeting she commented on the way he delt with it,

Obviously i know why he didnt but in the business world some dont and would precieve this as being rude.

Reason im asking is have any of you or do any of you have this and how do you cater or address it. Im trying to stay calm with the boss, but i can see a slight move towards making this young lads world hard. Religion is hard in business and although i know how it works, as i said above alot would just see it as rude, and it may effect his career.

Any advice welcome

Ted
Old 08 June 2012, 06:32 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If he won't shake a woman's hand - and therefore is not fit for the job purpose - sack him. The motivation is irrelevant, in fact it isn't your business, just his actions (or lack of them) are.
Old 08 June 2012, 07:05 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see no reason he can't shake a
Woman's hand..specially in this day and age..

We had Asian guys in our offices, Afew years back..they insisted on praying in the office, then the *** brakes..all did not add up..

They all had to go as the business was about to go under as a result..
Old 08 June 2012, 07:09 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

Yeap..... Sometimes a job has to come first. If he can't grete a client in a way it makes them feel they have to say something after a meeting then in my book he's failing the company.

Give him the choice .... Shake a female hand or look for another job.

Manners cost nothing

Last edited by Wish; 08 June 2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old 08 June 2012, 07:11 PM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

Disgusting to be honest, I have a few Asian friends, and when they greet my girlfriend it's either with a kiss on the cheek, or a hug! If this pro active woman hater has a problem with that, then I would show him the door immediately, even if he is a 'nice guy' makes my pi$$ boil the lack of respect these ******* have for women, no excuses
For it IMO
Old 08 June 2012, 07:14 PM
Alg
Scooby Regular

But there is an excuse for it and I'll bet if he's told to shake or look elsewhere then the accusation of discrimination will raise its ugly head.
Old 08 June 2012, 07:17 PM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

Ah yes, the good old race card.
Old 08 June 2012, 07:17 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

The prayer breaks are totally acceptable, we have an accountant that prays in a quite spare office during the day.

The not shaking of hands on the other hand is totally rude, He obviously has no respect for woman in power.

Not shaking a woman's hand is his choice but he shouldn't be working in the business sector.
Old 08 June 2012, 07:22 PM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

Oh, and before I get accused of the obvious, when I said these *******, I meant the militant, totally deluded brainwashed minority of Asians that are hell bent on taking over the world.
Old 08 June 2012, 07:22 PM
addi monster
Scooby Regular

Our country Our rules, no likey no JOB!
Old 08 June 2012, 07:29 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Littleted
Guys ive got 3 new grads in my team one is a muslim who practices, he has to pray between i think 1 and 5 but also wont shake a womens hand.

But ive had his boss on asking about this hand shaking issue, i dont see it an issue if thats his beliefs but the job role hes in is very customer facing not sales but consultancy.

Ive told his boss if hes any issues then he needs to speak to HR about it, and from my standpoint hes fine.

I think the reason the boss is keeping tabs on him is he met a high up VP and didnt shake her hand, which after the meeting she commented on the way he delt with it,

Obviously i know why he didnt but in the business world some dont and would precieve this as being rude.

Reason im asking is have any of you or do any of you have this and how do you cater or address it. Im trying to stay calm with the boss, but i can see a slight move towards making this young lads world hard. Religion is hard in business and although i know how it works, as i said above alot would just see it as rude, and it may effect his career.

Any advice welcome

Ted

He's clearly a sexist then, is this any better or worse than a racist??//
Old 08 June 2012, 07:31 PM
scoobywho2
Scooby Regular

I have a couple of Muslim guys who work for me and on the whole they work very hard and have excellent people skills! thats the foreign ones!! they even give me Christmas cards!, the English one on the other hand is stuck up his own **** and trys at every attempt to **** everyone else of with his religious practices and beliefs, even the foreign guys get annoyed with him!! lol

I only have a couple of rules for them

1. Only English to be spoken in the office

2. if they want to pray its on there allocated breaks.

only the English one try's and takes the ****!!

might be why stuff of his keeps wiping my arsehole! lool

Last edited by scoobywho2; 08 June 2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old 08 June 2012, 07:35 PM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RA Dunk
He's clearly a sexist then, is this any better or worse than a racist??//
Not too sure what your angle is here bud
Old 08 June 2012, 07:38 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jaybird-UK
The prayer breaks are totally acceptable,
Is it why?

It I wanted 3 x 10 mins off extra per day because I felt like it would that be ok?

How about I work half the hours for the same pay? Is that ok? If that was my religious belief would it be just?
Old 08 June 2012, 07:42 PM
BULLITT
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by classic Subaru Si
Disgusting to be honest, I have a few Asian friends, and when they greet my girlfriend it's either with a kiss on the cheek, or a hug! If this pro active woman hater has a problem with that, then I would show him the door immediately, even if he is a 'nice guy' makes my pi$$ boil the lack of respect these ******* have for women, no excuses
For it IMO
Are they Muslim or Sikh? There is a difference...

I have worked with people who practise both religions and have learned a bit about both. I've never known any of my Asian colleagues/friends refuse to interact with women on any level. I would say it is down to this mans personal choice to not shake women's hands on greeting them. Though it could also just be a quirk of his, in which case he's going to have to get over it.

Cover yourself and speak to someone in the know about Islamic religion, that way if this refusal to interact with women starts to become a serious issue for the company/his employment, you can respond if he starts with the "it's a religious thing". It's not a religious thing, it's a culture thing and one that really has no place in modern life, especially in this country.
Old 08 June 2012, 07:44 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by classic Subaru Si
Not too sure what your angle is here bud
Sexism is gender discrimination just like racism is race discrimination, this bloke clearly has prejudice against women, so is this more socially acceptable or on the same level as racism>
Old 08 June 2012, 07:45 PM
scoobywho2
Scooby Regular

Any advice welcome

Ted

I would pull him to one side explain to him what he did was offensive in "British" culture and that if he didn't sort his act out his working life is going to be made difficult.
Old 08 June 2012, 07:46 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jaybird-UK
The not shaking of hands on the other hand is totally rude, He obviously has no respect for woman in power.

Not shaking a woman's hand is his choice but he shouldn't be working in the business sector.

I agree.

IMO he should shake hands with women. He lives in the UK, works for the UK company, and greets the UK people. He should learn how to respect the culture and customs here. Once on my travels, all British women in the plane covered their heads with scarves upon their landing in Afghanistan. I understand they didn't want to be shot by the armed guards at the airport, so it was a survival technique as well as their respect to the Afghan culture. But there are more genuine examples e.g. In India, most British and other Western countries' visitors learn to say "namaste" to everyone there with their folded hands of their own back, no one forces them to do it. In the same way, Asians should also adapt to the British meet/greet and other etiquettes in the UK, or they shouldn't be on the job with the British. They should challenge their own sexist views, become more human, mingle with everyone and chill.
Old 08 June 2012, 07:49 PM
Big 'D'
Scooby Regular

I have been fortunate to visit many, many countries all over the world and have happily obeyed by the rules of my hosts in each of those countries, the very least I could ask is that they would do the same here, yes our country is very diverse but it is our country.

Cheers Iain
Old 08 June 2012, 07:51 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Agree with most of the sentiments on here, though to be honest the way most of the guys dont wash their hands after having a ****, I would be surprised if the women wanted to shake our hands

And as many guys say that football is a religion, I think its only fair that us guys have regular breaks during the day to pray (to the tele)
Old 08 June 2012, 07:52 PM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RA Dunk
Sexism is gender discrimination just like racism is race discrimination, this bloke clearly has prejudice against women, so is this more socially acceptable or on the same level as racism>
O.k. Let me ask this: have you
Ever met a white British male, that has refused to shake a woman's hand? I think this guy is both.
Old 08 June 2012, 07:55 PM
marcevs72
Scooby Regular

just get rid of the rude idiot at the first chance.use his performance at his job so his religon doesnt come into it.fooking grips my **** when people act like that.you are in our country so should behave properly with respect....
rant over...lol
Old 08 June 2012, 08:07 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
Is it why?

It I wanted 3 x 10 mins off extra per day because I felt like it would that be ok?

How about I work half the hours for the same pay? Is that ok? If that was my religious belief would it be just?
Some would say the same about smokers, they get smoking breaks in our place on top of their lunch hour. and its only 2 10 minute breaks in the day
Old 08 June 2012, 08:14 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Answer below

in our religioun that is considered haram meaning forbidden for the reason that a woman is a sacred thing as the quran mentions and should only be touched by her husband...

But thanks for all views, i think personally i,ll inform his boss again to seek HR advice and let the lad crack on, if it effects me in anyway then i,ll address accordingly

Cheers guys
Old 08 June 2012, 08:15 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Why did you employ him knowing that? If he's not been there for a year then just get rid, can be done quite easily. He just needs to get a job where not shaking hands is ok imho.

TX.
Old 08 June 2012, 08:15 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

It's about time we completely separated this religion/state/law/discrimination thing.

i.e. You have the right to practice or believe anything you like but it has nothing to do with work,school,state funding,legal benefits/the way you are treated by police/social services.....etc,etc,etc. or anything that costs tax payers money.

Please go ahead and believe what you will & practice it how you like but use your own time & money.(without infringing other peoples freedoms).
Old 08 June 2012, 08:16 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Worst one is..when they went for there Friday prayer..1.5 hours..and then came back and had lunch for 30mins..

If your entire sales team is Asian, thes lit brakes cost money to the business..
Old 08 June 2012, 08:24 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

My company is 98000 big i didnt employ him they did, i was doing a project and needed bodies, i was sent 3 grads.

As i said above hes good but this incident is and will effect him race card or not.

I just wanted to see if any muslims who are fellow scooby drivers could shed any light on the fact that is he being daft or is he being strict
Old 08 June 2012, 08:24 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

U could go down the route of tit for tat. Change all the prayer mats for mats made out of bacon show em who is boss n none of this tail wagging the dog.
Old 08 June 2012, 08:28 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Answer below

in our religioun that is considered haram meaning forbidden for the reason that a woman is a sacred thing as the quran mentions and should only be touched by her husband...

But thanks for all views, i think personally i,ll inform his boss again to seek HR advice and let the lad crack on, if it effects me in anyway then i,ll address accordingly

Cheers guys
Could he wear a gardening glove? That way he is not actually touching the women.

Quick Reply: Muslim question