Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Guardsman hatchback custom dog guard

Search this Thread

Old 07 June 2012, 12:51 AM
dsemuk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guardsman hatchback custom dog guard

Has anyone had a custom dog guard made by Athag Ltd 'Guardsman'? They make the original equipment dog yards for IM / Subaru UK.

When I have the back seats folded flat I want a bulkhead to prevent 70Kg of hound ending up in the front with me.

I have spoken to Guardsmen & described what I want, they gave me a price, which was acceptable, I asked if they had photos of similar items they have made, just for reference, but apparently they don't.

I don't want to commit to something which will take several weeks to get only to find out they didn't understand my requirements.
Old 07 June 2012, 09:34 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

how much would that be?
Old 07 June 2012, 10:01 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

A lot of my friends have Guardsman fitted to their vans, for Newfoundlands of a similar weight, both at the bulkhead and the tailgate. All of it is good kit from what I've seen.

They even offered me some freebies if they could test them out on my car.

At the end of the day, the decision is yours.
Old 07 June 2012, 10:24 AM
2000 sport
Scooby Regular

I've not tried them, but heard good things about Lintran
Old 07 June 2012, 10:52 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Their kit tends to be steel - so its strong. As its just a bulkhead you are looking at I would say its fine. Sometimes steel is not the best for a full on cage as they can be fairly heavy and the powder coating can come away but fine for the bulkhead. For a full on cage I would go with GRP inner / Ali outer but they are ££££...

HTH!
Old 07 June 2012, 01:31 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dsemuk
Has anyone had a custom dog guard made by Athag Ltd 'Guardsman'? They make the original equipment dog yards for IM / Subaru UK.

When I have the back seats folded flat I want a bulkhead to prevent 70Kg of hound ending up in the front with me.

I have spoken to Guardsmen & described what I want, they gave me a price, which was acceptable, I asked if they had photos of similar items they have made, just for reference, but apparently they don't.

I don't want to commit to something which will take several weeks to get only to find out they didn't understand my requirements.
I have but unfortunately it was poo, utter poo. The reason being is it wasn't a permanent fixture and so was more trouble than it was worth. It was fitted with adjustable legs and roof cups, so a floor to roof guard.

It was fitted in a Mercedes V-class which had floor carpet and roof lining which made things worse. Had it been a basic van with metal floor and roof it might, I stress might, have been better and gripped a little more. The dogs leant on it and just kept moving it, no matter how much it was re-adjusted. On 2 occasions it completely fell backwards onto the dogs. It never got a 3rd go as it was relegated to the 'might use it for something one day' section of the garage where it still remains.

Unless a guard or cage is fixed in, when it can come into contact with a dog/s, I'd forget it.

Last edited by Spoon; 07 June 2012 at 01:32 PM.
Old 07 June 2012, 05:27 PM
dsemuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 2000 sport
I've not tried them, but heard good things about Lintran
They are just up the road from me, here in Lincolnshire.

Will make contact and see what they have to offer.

May look at a full box, to protect hounds and humans.
Old 07 June 2012, 05:28 PM
dsemuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spoon
I have but unfortunately it was poo, utter poo. The reason being is it wasn't a permanent fixture and so was more trouble than it was worth. It was fitted with adjustable legs and roof cups, so a floor to roof guard.

It was fitted in a Mercedes V-class which had floor carpet and roof lining which made things worse. Had it been a basic van with metal floor and roof it might, I stress might, have been better and gripped a little more. The dogs leant on it and just kept moving it, no matter how much it was re-adjusted. On 2 occasions it completely fell backwards onto the dogs. It never got a 3rd go as it was relegated to the 'might use it for something one day' section of the garage where it still remains.

Unless a guard or cage is fixed in, when it can come into contact with a dog/s, I'd forget it.
Reading that a cage sounds like a better idea, don't like the idea of hounds or me getting crowned with a steel dog guard.