Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

'Social cleansing' in London

Search this Thread

Old 24 April 2012, 10:21 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 'Social cleansing' in London

Just the term 'social cleansing' is ridiculously melodramatic imho. This is long overdue and doesn't go far enough to address the issue of people being funded by the state to live in a manner that hard working individuals can't afford.

If you can't afford to pay the going rent in an area then you have to move, the state shouldn't have to financially guarantee you a right to continue to live in an area at the tax payers expense.

This is no different to a working person having to move if their income no longer matches the rent in an area.

Still needs to go much further. Housing benefit will still cover up to £1000/pm for a one bed and £1700/pm for a four bed property. That is far too much.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17829389

Last edited by Dingdongler; 24 April 2012 at 10:23 PM.
Old 24 April 2012, 10:56 PM
New_scooby_04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1.
Old 24 April 2012, 11:15 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

yes its stupid to think benefits should pay this much

benefits should pay a % of your previous employment salary as tax is charged on % of earnings
Old 24 April 2012, 11:43 PM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
+1.
+2.
Old 25 April 2012, 07:24 AM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Lisawrx
+2.
+ 3
Old 25 April 2012, 07:33 AM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Bet the private landlords are happy with the rent, though...

Oh, +4
Old 25 April 2012, 08:01 AM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

at last they are starting to admit that forced social intergration doesn't work.now if only they would start on immigration
Old 25 April 2012, 08:02 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Yup. Plenty of 'property millionaires' created in London (and other places I'm sure) as a result of these tax payer funded rents Zip
Old 25 April 2012, 08:04 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

had to larf at the mayor stokes response
Old 25 April 2012, 08:40 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

+5
Old 25 April 2012, 09:39 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

+6 - could not agree more.

We would love the opportunity to live in London but cannot afford it as we work for a living and cannot afford the rents or to buy property.

Some people need to get away from this benefit culture and expect to get what they want and expect to live where they want when there are plenty of people who have to up-sticks and move for their jobs or to find work!

This is just another huge drain on the tax payer and if it can be reduced by moving people to other areas and to cheaper rented accommodation then i am all for it.
Old 25 April 2012, 09:40 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

+7. The rent they pay would clear my mortgage in a quarter of the time that it will take me to pay it off!
Old 25 April 2012, 09:59 AM
...seamus...
Scooby Regular

makes my blood boil - I regularly meet customers who are on Housing Benefit, Working tax credit, income support, child support, disability allowance and they have more disposable income than I take home after the taxman - these people dont work yet they drive around in decent motors, fill their homes with the latest stuff and WE pay for all of it

case in point - yesterday I had to go through a customers income and expenditure - due to the fact that her housing is paid for her, she makes a contribution of £5 per week to bills, pays no council tax, pays nothing towards her 3 childrens education or school meals and receives nearly £2500 per month in handouts her disposable income was over £2000 a month - then she declared she had savings in another account of over £8K

really ****ing pisses me off
Old 25 April 2012, 10:14 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ...seamus...
makes my blood boil - I regularly meet customers who are on Housing Benefit, Working tax credit, income support, child support, disability allowance and they have more disposable income than I take home after the taxman - these people dont work yet they drive around in decent motors, fill their homes with the latest stuff and WE pay for all of it

case in point - yesterday I had to go through a customers income and expenditure - due to the fact that her housing is paid for her, she makes a contribution of £5 per week to bills, pays no council tax, pays nothing towards her 3 childrens education or school meals and receives nearly £2500 per month in handouts her disposable income was over £2000 a month - then she declared she had savings in another account of over £8K

This is what's wrong with the benefits system. I'm investing money in to starting my own business and the state is giving away £2500 a month to people like this.
Old 25 April 2012, 10:35 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Every time I visit London I wonder why people want to live there anyway. Overcrowded, litter everywhere and sky high prices.
Old 25 April 2012, 12:37 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kingofturds
Every time I visit London I wonder why people want to live there anyway. Overcrowded, litter everywhere and sky high prices.
That'll be Stoke next
Old 25 April 2012, 12:49 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Yeah but many of these people have been living there for years. One reason rents are so high is the way the property market has been manipulated and that includes BTL...all this has pushed up rents. Also you have the extremely high levels of immigration (both legal and illegal) pushing up rents in the South East.
Old 25 April 2012, 02:24 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

+8

Beggers can't be choosers

London is only overpriced becuase of the blinkered polices and economic with regard to focussing soley on the London areas and neglecting local economies in the rest of the UK.

Although I don't want the dole wallowing underclass being dumped anywhere near me.....which brings me onto big issue of the lack of strict agreemenets that existed for tennant of council funded homes in the 1950s...where you had to be a upstanding person to get one...unlike today...pop a sprog and "say" your homeless, and you get one.

The buy-toi-letters will be jumping with glee

Last edited by ALi-B; 25 April 2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old 25 April 2012, 02:26 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I felt sorry for them... Stoke is a right sh1thole
Old 25 April 2012, 02:51 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Blame the game not the player.
Correct me if I'm wrong but if you have savings don't you forfeit the right to benefits? Furthermore if she's got so much disposable income then shouldn't her benefits be trimmed? The system is a shambles.
Old 25 April 2012, 02:52 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

PLUS you spend 40+ hours a week away from your family, adding on the cost of communting.... whilst they sit on their ***** watching (or more likely appearing on) Jeremy Kyle.

I am angered that the dole-wallers in the flat next door to me (E14) get theirs for free, whilst I pay over £1k a month for mine....

+whatever I am in the list
Old 25 April 2012, 02:59 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Einstein RA
Blame the game not the player.
Correct me if I'm wrong but if you have savings don't you forfeit the right to benefits? Furthermore if she's got so much disposable income then shouldn't her benefits be trimmed? The system is a shambles.
Depends on the benefit, there are still quite a few benefits that aren't means tested. You can be a millionaire and still qaulify for them ; CA, JA, AA IIB, DLA, IB, etc.

Last edited by ALi-B; 25 April 2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old 25 April 2012, 07:52 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

There are loads of self employed people who get various benefits as they dont have much income, when in fact they do but they dont show a profit or deal in cash so the taxman never gets a sniff.
Old 25 April 2012, 08:24 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

I can see where people are coming from when they vilify welfare claimants, but otoh most of these people are pretty much useless to the Capitalist economy, and there isn't even the jobs for them anyway. Have you ever been in a Wetherspoons in the day? I haven't but I do sometimes walk past. The denizens inside are no good to anybody.
Old 25 April 2012, 08:29 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by J4CKO
There are loads of self employed people who get various benefits as they dont have much income, when in fact they do but they dont show a profit or deal in cash so the taxman never gets a sniff.

Hence why forums ebay gumtree etc have such problems with serial-sellers.
Old 25 April 2012, 08:41 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
What benefits can you get while self employed? I know loads of self employed people, none of whom think they can claim a thing, even when without any work for extended lengths of time.
Old 25 April 2012, 08:56 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
What benefits can you get while self employed? I know loads of self employed people, none of whom think they can claim a thing, even when without any work for extended lengths of time.
Well, I think the trick here is not to declare your income
Old 25 April 2012, 09:15 PM
mrmadcap
Scooby Regular

People on benefits can afford foreign holidays at the taxpayers expense.
Anyone receiving benefit should surrender their passports
Old 25 April 2012, 10:44 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't

Not sure now, but was Working Tax Credits and Child Tax Credit, probably housing benefit, it isnt about whether you are self employed it is what you put on the forms as to earnings, if you deal in cash who in their right mind is going to put down they make 50 grand if they dont have to, people in that position tend to deal in cash and only part goes through the books, the bit that goes on the forms, plus if you have your own business people tend to have a lot of "costs", a new tv for the office, a new suite, entertainment, etc etc so it is possible to drop your income on paper down to a few grand even though everything you spend pretty much goes through the business.
Old 25 April 2012, 11:20 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

What planet do Newham Council live on??

So they are sending 500 families to places like Stoke because their current (free to them) accommodation is above the limit imposed by the government.

If we assume that they are only on the minimum limit (£1000pcm) then that means that they are pissing away half a million pounds a month for just "some of its poorest residents".

No wonder council tax (and government subsidies paid for out of our taxes) is so high

(last-count-from-the-op)++

mb

Quick Reply: 'Social cleansing' in London