Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Telescopes--

Search this Thread

Old 22 April 2012, 10:58 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Telescopes--

Been looking at telescopes on the web & the bay, lots about, but nearly 90% are collection only ... i can understand why, but on the other hand you have to wonder??

Ok i know the mirrors are sensitive, and rough handling can cause problems...but....

How did the seller get it back from the shop? more than likley in a car.....

But how did it get to the shop......

In a flaming great truck sent from a depot with loads of other suff on the pallet lol

Mart
Old 23 April 2012, 04:16 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Original box and packaging is the key, not many people keep them have you looked on Facebook sales pages in your area? People are always advertising telescopes around here.
Old 23 April 2012, 08:39 AM
DonNedly
Scooby Regular

My telescope was delivered by courier but it was tightly packaged in a lot of polystyrene.
They are so delicate but wrapped and boxed properly and sent by an insured courier should be fine.
Old 23 April 2012, 09:34 AM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jamo
Original box and packaging is the key, not many people keep them have you looked on Facebook sales pages in your area? People are always advertising telescopes around here.
I didnt realise FB has for sale sections?
Old 23 April 2012, 10:05 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

I have a Meade ETX105.

The box it came in is MASSIVE. I kept it - but it barely fits through the loft hatch.

What are you thinking of buying?
Old 23 April 2012, 10:21 AM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Mainly eBay lot cannot be bothered to package it properly and arrange a courier. Same for most big items on eBay, not just telescopes.

Bear in mind, most telescopes start life in a factory in China, lobbed into a container, shipped half way around the world, lobbed into a warehouse, then dropped shipped to the customer by courier, who probably gives it a bit of a kicking as well. I've not had any problems with the two scopes that came this way. Another came from Mexico and that was also fine.

There are a lot of poor telescopes on eBay, with the occasional gem. But these tend to be so highly priced (if Buy it now), you would be safer buying it new. Those that go on auction tend to go over list price. Seen three do this this weekend alone.

If you do decide to buy new, these guys are the best in my experience: http://www.firstlightoptics.com/

If you want a great refractor though, and want to buy British (OK, with American optics), you could do a lot worse than talk to Glen at Lyra Optic in Rochdale: http://www.lyraoptic.co.uk/Telescopes-Accessories.html (first one on that page is mine and it's the only thing I seem to have bought in 10 years that is engineered up to a very high standard).

If you are going to get a reflector of some sort, you *will* need to collimate it when it arrives and fairly regularly afterwards.

Cheers

Ian
Old 23 April 2012, 12:34 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SamUK
I didnt realise FB has for sale sections?
yes
Old 23 April 2012, 12:39 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Smile

I'm looking to buy one soon and was looking for a local(ish) shop to go and have a butchers and get some advice. Anyone know of a good shop in Berkshire / Hampshire area?

Would prob have a budget of £200ish so what would you recommend? I had a look at Amazon and Celestron have good reviews but I saw one a few weekends back in John Lewis and it didnt feel that well made and very plasticky. But maybe that is all I can expect for my budget?
Old 23 April 2012, 01:24 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by IWatkins
If you are going to get a reflector of some sort, you *will* need to collimate it when it arrives and fairly regularly afterwards.

Cheers

Ian
Hi Ian - you seem pretty knowledgeable on this subject. I am an utter noob but have always fancied having a telescope so finally decided to pull my finger out.

So is a refractor easier to use straight out of the box and going forward? I'm also conscious of space as would like to keep it in the office when not in use outside.

Cheers
Simon
Old 23 April 2012, 03:41 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Hey Simon,

Without a doubt, a refractor is the easiest way to get into it. No mirrors that drift in alignment.

I would avoid any telescope you can buy in the High Street really, they tend to be cheap in all senses of the word.

As this whole area is all about precise optics, you really do get what you pay for. £200 is fairly low end, but even there you can get some good kit. E.g. see here: http://www.firstlightoptics.com/startravel.html the StarTravel 102 on an EQ mount is within your budget.

If you can push to around £300, things get better still, e.g. this Celestron SLT for £329: http://www.firstlightoptics.com/slt-...r-102-slt.html Takes a bit more setting up, but will goto (automatically slew and will track as the earth rotates) any object you wish to view.

After that, the costs just keep going up and up.

But first rule of telescopes. There is not one single telescope that is excellent for viewing everything.

Cheers

Ian
Old 23 April 2012, 04:16 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

My lx90 came with a load of packaging, like 3 rainforests worth. polystyrene out the wazoo as well. go to a proper telescope resaler like http://www.telescopehouse.com
Old 23 April 2012, 04:43 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I have one of these "Skywatcher - Explorer-200P Newtonian reflector OTA"

and it came in a huge box with mountains of polystyrene.
Old 23 April 2012, 05:37 PM
JohnSmith
Scooby Regular

I got a Meade from Costco a while back

This one

http://www.meade.com/starterscopes/ds_series.html

Cost me around 150 at the time (may have been slightly less) it slews and moves following whatever you want from the 30,000 + objects in the handheld database

I have found it a bit hard to align as I can't get clear sky all round at home, so need to take it out somewhere in the middle of a field but its always too cold LOL

But I have seen the eye of Jupiter through which is pretty awesome
Old 23 April 2012, 06:02 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by IWatkins
Hey Simon,

Without a doubt, a refractor is the easiest way to get into it. No mirrors that drift in alignment.

I would avoid any telescope you can buy in the High Street really, they tend to be cheap in all senses of the word.

As this whole area is all about precise optics, you really do get what you pay for. £200 is fairly low end, but even there you can get some good kit. E.g. see here: http://www.firstlightoptics.com/startravel.html the StarTravel 102 on an EQ mount is within your budget.

If you can push to around £300, things get better still, e.g. this Celestron SLT for £329: http://www.firstlightoptics.com/slt-...r-102-slt.html Takes a bit more setting up, but will goto (automatically slew and will track as the earth rotates) any object you wish to view.

After that, the costs just keep going up and up.

But first rule of telescopes. There is not one single telescope that is excellent for viewing everything.

Cheers

Ian
Thanks for the info Ian. I think I may have to up my budget nearer to £300 as I am always a stickler for buy cheap buy twice. I must admit I was already looking at the Skywatcher brand.

I would be most interested in looking at the moon I think. Would be nice to have a DSLR attachment or the possibility to connect one as quite fancy taking some pictures at some point.

On my searches I found a fairly local (40 miles away) shop that seems to have a decent rep and is 1 of only 5 Celestron Super Dealers in the country so can't be that bad http://astronomia.co.uk/

Do you reckon I would be better off spending £300 on a manual refractor or is half the battle finding and tracking objects so an automated one makes sense?
Old 23 April 2012, 06:35 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Hey Simon,

A fully manual mount and a quality refractor would be my honest, first telescope, recommendation. Cheaper too. Then buy a copy of the book "Turn Left At Orion". It will show you what is up there, and how to point the scope to see them. It is pretty much the bible for new astronomers. If you get the basics down, including finding your way around the sky, that'll set you up if you stick with it.

If you get into it, then you'll have a much better idea of what you want to do, and hence an idea of what to upgrade to. Then you'll be into tracking and goto mounts, imaging rigs with guiding systems, supercooled CCD cameras, narrowband filters, fully automated observatories etc. then it gets stupid expensive. And that is before you get into Ha solar imaging etc.

Most telescopes allow the attachment of a DSLR, you usually just need a T ring (DSLR specific mount one side, standard thread the other). You'll easily be able to take lunar shots like this.

If you are only 40miles from Astronomia, I would strongly recommend a trip down there. I've only dealt with them on the phone/email and found them to be very good. They have an excellent rep. Get there, tell them your budget, exactly what you want to do and they will happily talk you through the options. Importantly, you'll be able to see and touch various scopes and mounts. Importantly, because many people who get their scopes mail order are often surprised how huge some are

And report back, let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Ian
Old 23 April 2012, 07:37 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JohnSmith
I got a Meade from Costco a while back

This one

http://www.meade.com/starterscopes/ds_series.html

Cost me around 150 at the time (may have been slightly less) it slews and moves following whatever you want from the 30,000 + objects in the handheld database

I have found it a bit hard to align as I can't get clear sky all round at home, so need to take it out somewhere in the middle of a field but its always too cold LOL

But I have seen the eye of Jupiter through which is pretty awesome
wonder how it will be before we get someone who had seen Uranus
Old 23 April 2012, 08:19 PM
JohnSmith
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigsinky
wonder how it will be before we get someone who had seen Uranus
I have seen Pluto, but that was only on the Disney Channel

/i'll get me coat/
Old 24 April 2012, 07:37 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Cheers for that Ian - very useful info and glad Astronimia have a good rep as seems dedicated Astonomy shops are few and far between. I always like to do a bit of research before hand at least I have a basic understanding before I visit a shop. Will have to wait until June to pop down there as getting married in 2 weeks and then off on honeymoon. It will be a belated birthday present from the Fiancee as didn’t want to rush in and buy any old rubbish.

I read on some other site that sometimes even with budget kit you are able to see satellites and the Mir Space Station. Is that actually possible or only if you have high end kit?
Old 24 April 2012, 10:22 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Ian can you explain the difference between an EQ5, EQ5 Pro, FEQ5 and NEQ5 for me please?

As I said I have this scope Skywatcher - Explorer-200P Newtonian reflector OTA
I also have a Sky-Watcher HEQ-5 GoTo SkyScan Upgrade Kit Vers. 3.12 which includes the 2 motors, upgradeable handset and control panel which screws to the GOTO mount. It is not in a box on the leg like in this pic. It is shaped so that it fits underneath the mounting head. I also have a PCB that must fit into something. I can send you pics if you need them.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Skywatcher-EQ...item563d4259de

Also the instructions do not tell you how to upgrade the handset or where to get updates from it just says it can be flashed with FW upgrades.

Any help will be appreciated.
Old 24 April 2012, 11:23 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic
I read on some other site that sometimes even with budget kit you are able to see satellites and the Mir Space Station. Is that actually possible or only if you have high end kit?
You'll have trouble seeing mir. It burnt up in the atmosphere in March 2001

You can however see the International Space station when it flys over with some relatively modest kit. You have to be quick though as it travels from horizon to horizon in only a few minutes...
Old 24 April 2012, 03:08 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain Young
You'll have trouble seeing mir. It burnt up in the atmosphere in March 2001

You can however see the International Space station when it flys over with some relatively modest kit. You have to be quick though as it travels from horizon to horizon in only a few minutes...
Oops showing my noobness there
Old 24 April 2012, 03:22 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Nice one Simon, good luck with the wedding

Yep, I've plenty of satellites whizz through the field of view. If I'm out imaging, I usually have to ditch 5-10% of images due to them.

IIS is huge and easy to see with the naked eye. Getting it in telescope view is easy but keeping it in view is tough as it moves quickly. Not mine but here it is transiting the sun.

-----

Wurzel. I don't know all the differences between the various EQ5 mounts, sorry. Not even sure Skywatcher do

As for the upgrade, I've never done one, but I guess you have these instructions? PDF: http://www.skywatcher.com/swtsupport...20240505V1.pdf By all accounts, the manual is chuff, so you may find this thread useful over on SGL: http://stargazerslounge.com/primers-...n-upgrade.html

As for upgrading the handset, it is in the main handset manual here, page 13. PDF: http://www.skywatcher.com/swtsupport...20271206V3.pdf

Cheers

Ian

Last edited by IWatkins; 24 April 2012 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Can't type, got a banging hangover
Old 26 April 2012, 08:17 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Thanks Ian. Just took delivery of Left at Orion – bound edition from Amazon (can lay it flat whilst using your telescope). Was tempted by the Kindle edition so I can read up on honeymoon whilst on my sun lounger. But the reviews said it was a waste of money as doesn’t suit the screen size.
Old 26 April 2012, 09:37 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Thanks for the links Ian.
Old 27 April 2012, 04:25 PM
Carlh
Scooby Regular

the missus and me have just bought a celestron 127eq, basic of the basics by the look. was 180 quid and im hoping to at least get some good shots when all this rain goes away.....

ive yet to unpack and plug in, but if anyone can give me some tips, that would be great.
btw, how do i plug a webcam into it, if its possible - i have a creative live HD webcam