Hgv training

Search this Thread

Old 20 April 2012, 12:33 AM
Bean1984
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Hgv training

Hi all

Im looking at doing my hgv class 2 licence soon so wanted to find out if any one can suggest any decent training schools from the essex and london area. Is it a hard licence to pass. Im use to driving a 22ft long ambulance on blue lights so im good with my spacial awareness skills.

Cheers all
Old 20 April 2012, 01:15 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Dead easy to pass.

BUT: NOT so easy to get employment.

Almost all haulage firms will struggle to get insurance to cover a new HGV driver, so you might end up working for not so much for a year, and being with an agency, to gain experience, which is awful. (Treated like a skivvy by most employers, and you can never organise anything, the agency can, and do, ring you at VERY short notice and off you need to go.

The influx of foreign-owned vehicles has made it worse

Think carefully before spending up to £1000 on training..........

Last edited by alcazar; 20 April 2012 at 01:16 PM.
Old 20 April 2012, 02:13 PM
Will
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, it is easy to pass. But, at the end of the day, it's like driving a big car with 6 gears and with no load on the back. You learn more or less **** all! You just show that you're safe on the road.

Now then, the fun part is after you pass I remember I was put in an 8 wheeler tipper. It had 16 gears, and my God! She didn't half push with a full load on. You had to use all the breaks you had! Break peddle didn't mean a thing as it was crap A totally different story to the vehicle you pass your test in. Hence the reason I said you more or less learn nothing in the test. And that's why companies want drivers with experience

But good luck all the same.
Old 20 April 2012, 02:13 PM
Bean1984
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Cheers matey

Job wise might not be to bad as one one of my friends is asking me if i would do the test and work with him. His dad owns the company and already told me he would take me own when i get my hgv license as part time coz of my current shift pattern
Old 20 April 2012, 02:18 PM
Will
BANNED

Originally Posted by Bean1984
Cheers matey

Job wise might not be to bad as one one of my friends is asking me if i would do the test and work with him. His dad owns the company and already told me he would take me own when i get my hgv license as part time coz of my current shift pattern
If that's the case, I'd deffo go for it. It's a rare thing to have a job waiting before you pass the test, well done

Now then, see you in fight club. You **** sucker
Old 20 April 2012, 02:27 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Agency HGV depends on the agency and the job. A full time driver visited our site the other day, £6.95 an hour for the first 40 hours, thats a full time job. I know an agency retired driver, only does Sundays, £12 an hour and cushy work. Not a career i would recommend.
Old 20 April 2012, 03:14 PM
Bean1984
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Will
If that's the case, I'd deffo go for it. It's a rare thing to have a job waiting before you pass the test, well done

Now then, see you in fight club. You **** sucker
Cheers for the advice will. Think its the same as every job, only place you really learn is on the road mate....

Well when my swear filter is removed ill give you some fight club abuse!!!! Pmsl
Old 20 April 2012, 11:09 PM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

Failed mine twice......50mph and failing to notice a give way sign was classed as a instant fail
2nd attempt and got the same examiner (chief examiner) told me to head to Rotherham at side of meadowhall , I went the way I knew....which wasn't his way
He started to throw a paddy......I threatened to kick the living **** out of the old ****........needless to say I can no longer attempt to go back to Sheffield test centre
They still talk about me at atlas training ......on what not to do
Old 21 April 2012, 12:05 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

It isnt easy to pass. Its a vocational licence and the test standards are far higher. Most people fail their first test and many fail the first re-test too.

Before clicking 'post' Ive just seen Andi's post above. I failed my first HGV test at Sheffield. I got a miserable old man who was a temp holiday cover examiner. It was the end of the month (the relevance of which I now realise) and he crucified me. Something ridiculous like five majors and the example he gave for my failing was a hesitation at Birley Moor crossroads. If Id gone when he said that I shold have, then Id have driven over the woman coming the other way, whod done nothing wrong. Anyway, this caused quite a stink with complaints made and my instructor kicking off at the test centre.

I went for a re-test a week or so later and I had the head examiner, who made it clear that it was because of the problem with my earlier test. There used to be three examiners: the head who liked you to press on and failed you for lacking confidence, the other man who was nervous and failed you if you didnt always give way to others - the exact opposite of the HE, and a woman who was pretty much half way between the two (shed been on holiday).

I was nervous after the previous hatchet job, but he was a really pleasant fellow. He said that it was a sh*t-hot drive and I passed with four minors, and he gave me some latitude when I was extra cautious (too wide) at Todwick corssroads...

Im going to guess that it was a different bloke, this man was called, I think, Richard and Id be hppy to have him for my C+E too.

Simon
Old 21 April 2012, 09:53 AM
steve ex vauxhall
Scooby Regular

Don't know what it's like down by you for work, but up this way the licence is no longer enough to get a start with anyone.
Most companies up here are already looking for driver's who hold their DCPC, even though legally you don't need it yet, it would be very wise to get this at the same time, i know it's additional expense, but you would then be covered until 2019

As other's have said the test isn't that bad, you only have to drive as you have been taught for less than an hour, but after passing you can then drive upto an 8 wheeler grossing at 32 ton, Totally different kettle of fish driving fully loaded as opposed to the empty vehicle you take your test in.

Personally i think you would be better to find a company that will put you through the whole lot, upto your C+E, again it's going to be expensive, but worth it.

Before you do anything though mate, sit back and seriously consider if this is a career you REALLY WANT TO DO?

It is not an easy job, you will work long hours, early starts, late finishes, traffic chaos everywhere, deadlines to meet, and any relationship you have will be put under stress, believe me i have been there