Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Bahrain GP - asking for trouble?

Search this Thread

Old 19 April 2012, 10:44 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Bahrain GP - asking for trouble?

I was listening last night about the continuing protests in Bahrain and I can just see the scenario when a protester jumps over the security fence and runs onto the track during the race. Imagine the carnage that would cause, say at the start of the GP on the first corner.

Are the barriers that impenetrable? I note that Yates of the Yard is in charge and says he can offer no guarantees.

dl
Old 19 April 2012, 11:12 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

They shouldn't be going and it's just asking for trouble, as you say, if one (or more) people decide to run on track it'll be carnage.
Old 19 April 2012, 11:15 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hopefully it'll all backfire on the little runt
Old 19 April 2012, 11:19 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

It'll certainly live things up
Old 19 April 2012, 11:29 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I wonder if the midget watched the boat race?

dl
Old 19 April 2012, 11:31 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by dpb
Hopefully it'll all backfire on the little runt
I'm assuming you mean Bernie - its not really his fault.

He is a businessman and if he calls it off it will cost him money. If anyone should call it off its the Bahrainian government but they haven't either - money, save face etc etc.

Bernie is no angel and admits he is a political animal but the GP being run there isn't his fault. Its not like the teams will choose not to turn up and compensate Bernie?

I wouldn't be surprised if something happens but equally unsurprised if it doesn't. More media hype than genuine human rights issues IMO.
Old 19 April 2012, 11:32 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

I've changed my mind about the wisdom of staging the GP there now.

It seems the opposition are going to target the GP for publicity reasons, the Gov is already stating it will deploy live rounds if necessary, could get ugly.
Old 19 April 2012, 11:33 AM
lamby2k12
Scooby Regular

but listerning to the gp on saturday by the fia chairman no matter what the gp is going to bahrain... i agree to the bahrainens that that they dont want the gp there fia should go with there reviews as it could be really dangerous for spektaters aswell as the drivers.. but on the up side the race will be a good one as they didnt race there last year for the same reason (be intresting).. and the track is a really good one be really intresting to watch this weekend... but it will either be hamilton or button who takes the win... depending on mercedes....
Old 19 April 2012, 11:42 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

It's kicking off.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mot...-One-race.html
Old 19 April 2012, 11:44 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
I'm assuming you mean Bernie - its not really his fault.

He is a businessman and if he calls it off it will cost him money. If anyone should call it off its the Bahrainian government but they haven't either - money, save face etc etc.

Bernie is no angel and admits he is a political animal but the GP being run there isn't his fault. Its not like the teams will choose not to turn up and compensate Bernie?

I wouldn't be surprised if something happens but equally unsurprised if it doesn't. More media hype than genuine human rights issues IMO.

Bernie doesn't need the money and anyway will probably slot in another money spinner if it's cancelled. He is taking the risk of a major incident with the small chance of drivers being killed. A bad decision all round.

Sure there is some media hype but the protests are real enough and what better way for the protesters to get their argument (genuine grievances) across than to sacrifice one of their own to gain worldwide media coverage.

dl
Old 19 April 2012, 11:53 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
And it'll get worse
They should never have went.
Old 19 April 2012, 11:54 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ant
It'll certainly live things up
And it begins:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/17767985

I will be watching…..if it goes ahead. But I believe it will be called of.

There are people out there intent on causing harm to people and F1 is the perfect international stage on which to launch an attack.

No, F1 can’t political (in the words of Bernie), but it can have a sense of morality and duty of care for its employees and fans.
Old 19 April 2012, 12:02 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I imagine that they are being guided by the advice of the Bahreini politicians. I would doubt that the FIA would have supported the race unless they were happy to trust what they were being told by the authorities.

It is a tricky situation and if they do go ahead as planned I can only hope that there will be no trouble and that no one is hurt.

The teams must have been adequately convinced as well or I am sure they would not have agreed to go.

If it does all come off,I can only hope for yet another race as good as last weekend's one which was quite outstanding.

Les
Old 19 April 2012, 12:19 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

How can the FIA possibly trust the Bahraini government? They need independent advice - from the UN or somebody impartial. Of course the Bahraini government will tell them that everything is rosy, and will probably clamp down even harder on the protesters to make sure that it seems ok. But you can see from the news today, about the riot that the Force India mechanics were caught in, that it's just not a safe place to be right now.
Old 19 April 2012, 12:20 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

I've read that one of the teams in the accompanying Porsche Super Cup have pulled out amid fears for their team members.
Old 19 April 2012, 12:32 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mungo
How can the FIA possibly trust the Bahraini government? They need independent advice - from the UN or somebody impartial. Of course the Bahraini government will tell them that everything is rosy, and will probably clamp down even harder on the protesters to make sure that it seems ok. But you can see from the news today, about the riot that the Force India mechanics were caught in, that it's just not a safe place to be right now.
I have not been there for some time, but we used to stage through there on the way to Hong Kong staying in a hotel and we always found them to be very friendly and easy to get along with. They are scrupulously honest too.

Les
Old 19 April 2012, 12:36 PM
lamby2k12
Scooby Regular

will get alot worse....
Old 19 April 2012, 12:52 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mungo

Exactly.

This is the government that are currently scouring the city and locking up potential "troublemakers" to keep them out of the way.

Perhaps the FIA should ask those Bahrain doctors who were jailed for treating people what they think.

A Burmese GP perhaps?

dl
Old 19 April 2012, 01:16 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lamby2k12
but listerning to the gp on saturday by the fia chairman no matter what the gp is going to bahrain... i agree to the bahrainens that that they dont want the gp there fia should go with there reviews as it could be really dangerous for spektaters aswell as the drivers.. but on the up side the race will be a good one as they didnt race there last year for the same reason (be intresting).. and the track is a really good one be really intresting to watch this weekend... but it will either be hamilton or button who takes the win... depending on mercedes....
Bahrain is actually quite a boring race track with regards to over taking zones.
Old 19 April 2012, 01:34 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
A Force India minibus gets caught in traffic. No indication that the incident was anything to do with the GP.
Old 19 April 2012, 01:35 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Its a joke that they are going there, the Bahrain Government is trying to legitimise its crimes when it is nothing more than a violent dictatorship, its hardly surprising they can bribe Bernie to go there given the most its people can expect the government to spend on them if the cost of a bomb or bullet.
It goes to show how shallow the world has become when people continue to support F1 while F1 supports governments, and takes money from governments, that are guilty of the litany of crimes that have taken place in Bahrain. I think a boycott of F1 and all iuts sponsors is due. I wonder how many better places the 40-50 million bahrain are paying for the race , could be better spent.
Old 19 April 2012, 01:39 PM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

I'm glad it's kicking off, it will show just what a stupid bunch of pr!cks the FIA have been, and now it's going to bite them in the ****.

And I disagree with lamby, it's a terrible track that no-one would miss.
Old 19 April 2012, 01:41 PM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by speedking
A Force India minibus gets caught in traffic. No indication that the incident was anything to do with the GP.
I don't see how that is relevant.
Old 19 April 2012, 01:52 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Because the thread is about the Bahrain GP. If the incident was one where Force India had been targetted by a petrol bomb thrower, then fair enough, but it wasn't. Therefore it is not "all kicking off", it is the same as it has been for months, except some F1 transport got caught in the traffic jam.
Old 19 April 2012, 01:57 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Has anyone thought to consider that if it wasn't for the F1 race, many of us (and much of the UK media I suspect) wouldn't even be concerning ourselves with the issues in Bahrain?
Old 19 April 2012, 01:57 PM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

But the point here is that contrary to all the government lines, the safety of F1 team members and drivers actually cannot be guaranteed, no matter how much security they put in place. In some respects, the fact they weren't targetted makes it even worse!
Old 19 April 2012, 02:00 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Devildog
Has anyone thought to consider that if it wasn't for the F1 race, many of us (and much of the UK media I suspect) wouldn't even be concerning ourselves with the issues in Bahrain?
Not really Bahrain became news long before Bernie's ruthless persuit of money shocked the civilised world
Old 19 April 2012, 02:02 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luan Pra bang
Not really Bahrain became news long before Bernie's ruthless persuit of money shocked the civilised world
I know it did, but that makes it old news
Old 19 April 2012, 02:04 PM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Devildog
I think it is the opposite, F1 is taking attention away from what is the real news here - the struggle of the average Bahraini. I have seen plenty of news coverage about the controversy about the race, and the Bahrain government's stance towards the race, and the FIA and Bernie, but not so much about Bahraini people being tortured and killed!
Old 19 April 2012, 02:28 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by speedking
Because the thread is about the Bahrain GP. If the incident was one where Force India had been targetted by a petrol bomb thrower, then fair enough, but it wasn't. Therefore it is not "all kicking off", it is the same as it has been for months, except some F1 transport got caught in the traffic jam.
If you believe that then you are a fool.

What else do you think the Bahrain media is are going to say.
More to the point, how the hell would they who the bomb was intended for? Of all the people in Bahrain, it hit right next to a car carrying F1 personnel.

Do the math!

Quick Reply: Bahrain GP - asking for trouble?