Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Continuous Man Flu

Search this Thread

Old 12 April 2012, 12:18 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Continuous Man Flu

After feeling a bit flaky last night I've woken up this morning with yet another cold

Since our baby arrived and then started to mix with other babies at various play groups etc. and now nursery he's had pretty much every cold and tummy bug going around. It's not nice for him, I wish he could finally be free of all viruses for a change and start sleeping through the night as well......

...And as a result of that stop passing all this stuff onto me I've never been as ill as I've been this winter. Three stomach bugs, probably about as many as I've had in the last 20 years put together in the space of a few months, and it seems as fast as I get over one cold I get another. Not sure that I've been snot free since Christmas. Even if I'm feeling okay I'm still quite congested most of the time.

Any tips as to how I can be healthy once again? Unfortunately getting rid of the baby is not an option My diet isn't too bad, need a bit more exercise, have tried killing all bugs with alcohol but to no avail, I'm at my wits end. Not one to take stuff that I don't really need but I think I'll go and get a job lot of vitamins shortly, especially Vitamin C and Zinc, see if that helps.

Need some sleep too

(or just man-up?)

Last edited by Coffin Dodger; 12 April 2012 at 12:19 PM.
Old 12 April 2012, 12:28 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No booze, vitamins, rest and keep away from anyone under 30.
Old 12 April 2012, 12:37 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

If it's any consolation, CD. I have been in the same boat. Since my daughter has been doing Child Care at college, it has involved her doing placement at various nurseries etc. I have had a cold virtually non stop as she keeps bringing in all these bugs she is picking up from the little ones. I just seem to get rid of one and a couple of days later another one starts and each one gets worse.
Much to the delight of the family this one has developed into Viral Laryngitis again
Apart from taking multi vitamins which are useless, I have no idea what to do. I shall watch this thread and hopefully get some tips

Last edited by Lee247; 12 April 2012 at 12:39 PM. Reason: mines wimmins flu, which is far worse lol
Old 12 April 2012, 12:41 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Exactly the same here mate.
Charlie has been at nursery since January, but only on a Friday. Every week he would come home with something different and then pass it on to us. The mrs has had 3 stomach bugs since Xmas and I have had one. We have all had a coupe of long lasting colds as well.

Nothing you can do mate other than man up, stop moaning and start watching F1!
Old 12 April 2012, 12:54 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gear Head
Exactly the same here mate.
Charlie has been at nursery since January, but only on a Friday. Every week he would come home with something different and then pass it on to us. The mrs has had 3 stomach bugs since Xmas and I have had one. We have all had a coupe of long lasting colds as well.

Nothing you can do mate other than man up, stop moaning and start watching F1!
Seems like the norm then Still going to take a load of vitamins though

At least as there is no chance of me sleeping in on Sunday the F1 may as well be on in the background.
Old 12 April 2012, 02:14 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an utter **** of a cold a few weeks back, about two weeks of headaches and feeling crap as a prelude and wondering what was up with me, then it dawned when I was shivvering like a ****ting Poodle that I had a cold, a bit of a relief as didnt know what was up, cold went more or less and left me with these headaches, think it was sinus trouble, then all of a sudden they went and I felt great, then my foot decided to conk out !

Foot is feeling a bit better, limping not hopping now so wondering what will go next.
Old 12 April 2012, 02:54 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger
Seems like the norm then Still going to take a load of vitamins though

At least as there is no chance of me sleeping in on Sunday the F1 may as well be on in the background.
I have a slight dilemma in that Charlie is staying with his Nan and Granddad on Saturday night. So although I will get a much needed lay in on Sunday, the bloody F1 starts at 8am!
Then again, 8am is a lay in these days!

Old 12 April 2012, 03:13 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

To think that hayfever season is just about to kick in too, more stuffed up snotty noses, wheezy chests, constant sneezing and sore bloodshot streaming itchy eyes.
Old 12 April 2012, 03:13 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

man up you pansy!

how well ar eyou sleeping, being run down is a big cause for pickign up alot of bugs
Old 12 April 2012, 04:49 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Start taking vitamin C those tablets that are 1000mg that should put you right.
Old 12 April 2012, 04:50 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Echinacea will build you back up. I need it when out in the cold n wet watching the world go by
Old 12 April 2012, 05:01 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Ha, sleep? With a 10 month old baby to take care of?

Old 12 April 2012, 05:43 PM
95turbowagon
Scooby Regular

Think it's just par for the course with kids. Before my 2 year old daughter was born i was lucky to get a cold or flu twice a year, it know seems that every month i'm getting something.
Old 13 April 2012, 09:43 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Got a good cough today, plenty of phlegm, still at work though

Oh well sounds like it's going to be like this for the next few years, better get used to it Missus tells me that the nursery said they had some chicken pox going around too, just what the boy needs right now. I remember having it when at primary school though ironically during the holidays, not nice but part of growing up.
Old 13 April 2012, 01:09 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

haha, i guessd as much, tbh mate your prob just run down with lack of proper sleep, shoudl calm down when kiddy's less demanding

as sugested maybe try some extra vits to see if that helps at all
Old 13 April 2012, 01:46 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Indeed, I'm sure lack of sleep don't help.

Well I've just bought some Echinacia, bottle of Benilyn, some high strength VitC & Zinc tablets and some lower strength ones to carry on taking once I'm over this. Here's hoping, placebo effect is supposed to work anyway if nothing else
Old 13 April 2012, 02:22 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

no sympathy. keep your **** in your trousers next time fella flu jab FTW BTW. tempting fate here but i haven't had a cold in years.

Last edited by bigsinky; 13 April 2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old 13 April 2012, 04:21 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If your going to buy vitamins, buy Solgar, they are more expensive, but they work, cheap ones are next to useless.

As above 1000mg per day, and dont take too much zinc, it's not good for you as you can o/d on it apperently, and wondering around with a boner all day becomes uncomfortable after a week or two.

My mrs has had a constant cough/cold for the last 4yrs as well as my son having the perpetual runny nose, i catch nothing, but i eat very well as in everything cooked from scratch, almost and no processed crap, as well as my vitamin intake, which is one multivit every 3 days 2 zinc per week ish and 1000mg vitamin c every day that i don't take a multivit, i'm 46 and most people think i'm under 35
Old 13 April 2012, 09:43 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Empathise with you CD - started with us back in October - my wife takes our twins to a playgroup in our local church on a Wednesday, by Friday both kids were being sick, my wife was struck down the next day, and in the early hours of Sunday morning it was my turn. looking after 2 x 18 month old kids when you have Gastroenteritis and are physically weakened is incredibly difficult.

On the next visit it was Chicken pox, wife caught the proper flu (not man flu) at the beginning of December, I was struck down by that on new years day, took just over a fortnight to shake it off, in mid February, the kids had heavy colds, which they passed to me and I collected a sinus infection for good measure.

The odd thing is that the kids seem to bounce back from being ill much quicker than Mrs T or I do!!!
Old 13 April 2012, 10:06 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

reminds me of the story of a friend who complained to the doctor over his lack of sleep - caused by a new baby in the marital bed everynight

the doctors reply was that very few sixteen year old sleep in their parents bed
Old 14 April 2012, 12:36 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tarmac terror

The odd thing is that the kids seem to bounce back from being ill much quicker than Mrs T or I do!!!
could be something to do with being an owl ******
Old 16 April 2012, 05:42 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I felt a bit rough yesterday and today have spent most of the day riding the vomit comet and now have a banging headache.

I don't usually get ill but the missus had the bright idea last week to go swim in the soup of used tampons and sticky plasters that is the local swimming pool.