Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

iPad2

Search this Thread

Old 11 April 2012, 11:22 AM
All Torque
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPad2

Debating to get one, but before I do I am an Android user and have got use to these and all their features. On my HTC Desire S I have the option to put it into dock mode when in standby and able to use it as a desk clock. I've had a play around in store with an iPad but cant seem to find this on them, any apps on it that it can be made into a desk clock and make it useful even when not using it.
Old 11 April 2012, 11:27 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Here is one: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/night...392479477?mt=8

(I haven't used it, just did a quick search as I wondered if you could tell the iPad to stay 'on' all the time)
Old 11 April 2012, 11:29 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Why not get an Android tablet?

If you use Android already I would get the same tablet. Just as if I had an iPhone I'd get an iPad. Least each bit of kit will talk to each other.

Why iPad 2 - isn't the new one the same price? we bought a new one for our daughter just before she went away. I didn't think there was anything in the price.
Old 11 April 2012, 11:42 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

What will you be using it for? I use my Galaxy mainly for browsing the web or watching a few movies when I'm on the bog. I also wanted a tablet to be able to view Flash content. That said, at £329 for iPad 2, its probably the best value tablet at the moment.
Old 11 April 2012, 12:02 PM
Ciaran
Scooby Regular

Ipad2 is okay as a toy. Im typing on it now. Had it not have been a gift I would have bought a tablet. Apple stuff is so restrictive and you pay for the name
Old 11 April 2012, 12:09 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ciaran
Ipad2 is okay as a toy. Im typing on it now. Had it not have been a gift I would have bought a tablet. Apple stuff is so restrictive and you pay for the name
Toy?

lol

We're actually thinking about issuing them as a business tool. So much more than just a toy if you actually know what they are capable of.
Old 11 April 2012, 12:10 PM
All Torque
Scooby Regular

I would get an android tab but as i say i already have an android phone and my next one will be also, so by getting the ipad i can try out the different OS. That app looks ok i will get my son to DL it to his 4s ofc i would get it jail broken also.
Old 11 April 2012, 12:30 PM
All Torque
Scooby Regular

One of the things i will be using it for is Tune up radio and have it plugged into my amp, son just downloaded the free version of the desk clock would the paid version have no adds. Oh and one thing in favour of Apple over Android is catch up TV unless the new HTC One S/X has that, but saying that when I am out and about Android does all i need so wont go into a debate on which is best. He`s just downloaded another which i think i would use, was looking more for a black background with plain white digital clock
Old 11 April 2012, 03:07 PM
Ciaran
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Devildog
Toy?

lol

We're actually thinking about issuing them as a business tool. So much more than just a toy if you actually know what they are capable of.
Mine is a toy. I have a laptop for anything serious. Also have a computer offshore for work.
It has a few things that make it a pita, inability to open pdf. Docs easily. It's a nightmare to cut and paste stuff. I personally would hate to use it for anything work related but I suppose it depends on your job
Old 11 April 2012, 03:17 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

There's a PDF reader built in. Can't see how it can be a problem, I just click on them. Cut and Paste, press and hold, up pops a menu, pretty simple.

I guess it depends on what you call serious, I can edit video on the iPad but prefer the MacBook, I can configure Cisco Routers on the iPad but again prefer the MacBook. Same with expense reports. Calling it a toy is a bit off the mark.
Old 11 April 2012, 03:26 PM
Ciaran
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
There's a PDF reader built in. Can't see how it can be a problem, I just click on them. Cut and Paste, press and hold, up pops a menu, pretty simple.

I guess it depends on what you call serious, I can edit video on the iPad but prefer the MacBook, I can configure Cisco Routers on the iPad but again prefer the MacBook. Same with expense reports. Calling it a toy is a bit off the mark.
I use it as a toy! Others use it for work.
I'm not knocking it for work purposes as I have never used it for work
Old 11 April 2012, 03:36 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

That's cool, so do I and a good toy it is.