Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Living/Working in Dubai.

Search this Thread

Old 27 March 2012, 09:27 PM
shooter007
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Living/Working in Dubai.

My son-in law has been offered a job in Dubai. Which means my Daughter and 2 year grandson will be leaving England . I don't want them to think they shouldn't go because of us, but I would like to know what they can expect once they get there. They are flying out there on Friday for 4 days, so Andrew can see what his job will involve, then its make your mind up time. But what about my daughter and her son, what will be in it for them. Any-one know anything about this Country.
Old 27 March 2012, 10:00 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

My son has been offered a job out there so I looked in the country quite closely. There is a huge amount of quite useful info on ex-pat living out there on Google. Good money but accommodation is a key as super expensive if you have to sort it out yourself.

All looked pretty good but only for a year or so. dl
Old 27 March 2012, 10:11 PM
polly_20
Scooby Regular

From my friends experiences it can be a bit challenging at times. They must remember about cultural differences and strick laws. I guess it's best to go and explore for few days, do your research on ex pat community, pop in to few British orientated places and chat with people. Schools are good there but might be expensive depending on ur choice. Accommodation if not provided by employer can be a bit of shocker....Most agents require rent upfront for a year! Anyway it's a beautiful place worth exploring but defo do your research on what comes with your job.
Old 28 March 2012, 09:17 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

very useful book http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dubai-Comple...pd_sim_sbs_b_2 and have a look here http://www.dubaiexpat.com/

as mentioned housing (if not provided) can be expensive and usually required 6-12 month advance payment.
Schools - all private and require paying for
Medical - all private most companies have a scheme - check it is part of the package.
Summer months July-Sept expect temps 40-50 degrees.
Roads - dangerous, i had a near death experience at least once a week

Once there you will need to get a work permit - the company will/should sort this. Until you have one you are a bit of a 'grey area' as regards employment.
You will also need to take a driving test to get a Dubai Licence, you can drive on a UK one for a while, cannot remember how long.

If no company car provided they will need to hire one, suggest they do not consider anything smaller that a 4x4 and a large on at that, once on the road this will become clear as to why you need one. You must have a car out there, Dubai is very linear in it's design.

It is worth it just for the experience. The shopping is good, lots of 'boys toys' shops as well. good watersports and motorsports, stuff for kids to do. Suggest they visit, Ibn Battuta Mall, Souk Madanat (right next to the Burj), Dubai old town on their inspection trip and if taking the kids Wild Wadi for half a day and not forgetting the MoE.

PM me if you need any more info. I was out there 2007/08

Whilst salaries are tax free it soon gets eaten up with living expenses.

Last edited by The Zohan; 29 March 2012 at 09:24 AM.
Old 28 March 2012, 10:55 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

One of my friends works out there and his principle recommendation was to keep a bag packed at all times and make sure your passport was in it. He worked in the construction industry and his motivation was to skip the country and ask questions later if anything went wrong. Mainly because their jails are hell holes and their first instinct is to lock any foreigners up if they get half a chance.
Astraboy.
Old 28 March 2012, 12:16 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got no experiance of Dubai but as a kid I lived with my folks in Qatar for about 5 years.

You asked what it would be like to live for the wife and kid and I can say that as a kid in Qatar it was an amazing experience. My brother and I loved it and so did my parents.

Yes the laws are quite strict in these countries but the expat communities tend to be pretty close knit and work together. Once you get used to the laws it's not a bad lifestyle.

The package will make a big difference. In our situation the package was good so accomodation and schooling etc. were taken care of.

I'm seriously considering trying to get out there now with my own family. I had the opportunity around 10 years ago before I was married and had a baby but it wasn't the right time or package so I turned it down. No regrets but I'm thinking about trying again now.
Old 28 March 2012, 05:14 PM
SinghSuperStud
Scooby Regular

Have been once on holiday and it's a nice place but having seen a few TV reports since I'd echo the above - make sure you keep your passport on you.

I saw a property program a few weeks ago and people had to dump their cars they'd got on contract hire etc and shoot to the airport. It's an offence to present bouncy cheques and you can go to prison so if you lose your job and you have money going out of your account to pay for things it could get very very hairy!
Old 28 March 2012, 08:44 PM
shooter007
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all your replies. I guess they will make up their own mind after this weekend. (Trust them to be going when the Dubai Derby is on). I am little concerned at some of the replies but I would rather they went ahead and tried, than not. Will keep you posted how the weekend went, and what they decide to do. Thanks once again.
Old 28 March 2012, 10:02 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

just beware that even a microscopic particle of an illegal drug on the bottom of your shoe can get you 6 years in prison.
Old 29 March 2012, 08:26 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by shooter007
Thanks for all your replies. I guess they will make up their own mind after this weekend. (Trust them to be going when the Dubai Derby is on). I am little concerned at some of the replies but I would rather they went ahead and tried, than not. Will keep you posted how the weekend went, and what they decide to do. Thanks once again.
One thing, suggest they dress conservatively, female dress code when in town/social situations, ideally no bare shoulders and legs covered to the knee otherwise she might get some disparaging looks from the locals.
Old 29 March 2012, 08:43 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

maybe the average/poor people are okay , but those at the airport as we transitted come across as arrogant p**cks imo
They as also wouldnt let the girlfriend in,at all, on her travel document
- dont think ill be back , whats there anyway , sand and oil

funny thing is all was fine in Doha
Old 29 March 2012, 11:47 AM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

Have a read of this.....
http://www.b3ta.com/questions/theboss/post460435

its long, but worth it.
Old 29 March 2012, 12:11 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Over the last few years the anti foriegner sentiment has started to rise, although this is mainly aimed at the Indians and Black labourers.