Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Trayvon Martin

Search this Thread

Old 26 March 2012, 07:06 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Trayvon Martin

i can see this getting quite ugly , maybe only reason its not out of hand allready cos the perpetrator is not completely white himself . Certainly its going to cause some legislation change in a hurry ?
Old 26 March 2012, 09:51 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trouble is the killer had a reputation as a bit of a nutcase anyway, despite being told to wait he still went and shot an unarmed man. That the Police refused to even arrest him is plain wrong.
Old 26 March 2012, 10:13 PM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How did the guy even have a gun license? From what I've read on the bloke (not fact-checked it) he had a history of violence, which I thought was a red-flag for getting a gun.
Old 26 March 2012, 10:18 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ReallyReallyGoodMeat
How did the guy even have a gun license? From what I've read on the bloke (not fact-checked it) he had a history of violence, which I thought was a red-flag for getting a gun.
Are you kidding ,these are entry requirements in some states !
Old 26 March 2012, 10:23 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Black criminal shot, community takes to demonstrating. I wonder if the yanks will start torching cities all over their country...?
Old 26 March 2012, 10:38 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Traces of dope ?
Old 27 March 2012, 12:23 AM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
Black criminal shot, community takes to demonstrating. I wonder if the yanks will start torching cities all over their country...?
Black Criminal???
Old 27 March 2012, 01:38 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Traces of dope ?
Empty baggie with marijuana residue found in his book back is why he was apparently suspended from school.
Old 27 March 2012, 07:28 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Ah well then , he clearly deserved gunning down.
Old 27 March 2012, 08:07 AM
Neoscooby
Scooby Regular

Old 27 March 2012, 08:22 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

So it looks like he gave him a bloody nose and he toppled . Embarrassed, our assassin reaches for his shooter and lets him have it whilst he was walking away

Last edited by dpb; 27 March 2012 at 08:39 AM.
Old 27 March 2012, 10:59 AM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

More than anything else, this case highlights the insanity of people be allowed to walk around carry guns...when will they ever learn?
Old 27 March 2012, 11:01 AM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Whatever the facts of the shooting, and they haven't all come out yet, it seems the usual suspects like Obama, in an election year for this half-white, half-black first 'black' (how does that work ... ? ) president, and Jesse Jackson have come out playing the race-card. Though as someone said above, as he was shot by a Hispanic guy they're having trouble pinning it on 'whitie'. Though I have seen somewhere that says that the shooter is actually half-white/half-Hispanic so they're portraying him as 'white' (c.f. Obama being black .....).

The US will have to be careful on this one 'cos I can see trouble ahead .....

Dave
I think the big unknown here is, if it was a white man shot dead by a black man then would he of been arrested?
Old 27 March 2012, 11:07 AM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

The shooter was told top stay inside and wait for the police instead he went outside and shot someone. I take issue with the fact that being a black man in a white area qualifies you to get harrassed and shot.
Old 27 March 2012, 11:30 AM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

How about the white kid caught and burnt (petrol + match) recently in the US BECAUSE he was white? Didn't hear Obama/Jackson go on TV and talk about that one.

Well, I don't think it "quite" happened like that. But as for the "qualification to be harrassed", how about wearing a hoodie in Florida? Not exactly the coldest place on earth and, like it or not, people in general are suspicious of people wearing hoodies.

Dave
Well hopefully those that committed that crime WERE arrested.

There has been a huge and growing public outcry over the Martin case, how can the President not say anything?

Your comment on the hoodie are risible btw - since when did you start using Fox News as your best source of info?

Last edited by Martin2005; 27 March 2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old 27 March 2012, 05:09 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Umm, how about by saying 'no comment, we have to let the investigation run it's course. Innocent until proven guilty' etc. Rather than 'if I had a son he'd look just like Trayvon ...' ... Oh yes, election year. Gotta keep all those black people on my side!

Hmmm. Nope, not laughing. Can you get Fox News at your place? Thought you were in the UK ... Anyhow, if you haven't had people comment, unrelated to this case, that hoodies make them suspicious/nervous/threatened then I suggest you've been living in a parallel universe. LOTS of people feel that way about them, and it makes no odds how many 'hoodie wearers' say 'it's just fashion, innit' ...

As for Florida . And he wears a hoodie ... not risable, just wondered why the guy was wearing one in a tropical climate ....

Dave
Why are you going out of your way to defend / justify Mr Zimmermans ?
The fact that Martin was wearing a hoodie is utterly irrelevant and you know it!
You are ignoring Zimmermans actions. He followed and shot dead an unarmed man, and was subsequently not even arrested or charged with any offence, small wonder there is an outcry!

Btw it is guns that make most people 'suspicious/nervous/threatened, not an item of clothing

Fox News (as you well know) is on Sky 509. The reason I know you get your info from them was because earlier you were almost word for word quoting their line on this story...they too are desperately trying to taint Martin and Obama.

Race plays a massive part in this because had this crime been the other way around, the suspicion is (and raw statistic suggest) Martin would be arrested.
Old 27 March 2012, 05:27 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought that he wasn't arrested because he claimed his actions were covered by the 2005 Florida "Stand your ground" act ? ie self defence...........

Shaun
Old 27 March 2012, 05:31 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Midlife......
I thought that he wasn't arrested because he claimed his actions were covered by the 2005 Florida "Stand your ground" act ? ie self defence...........

Shaun
Yes that's what happened

Problem is it seemed OK for the police to take his word against Martin's; which is a tricky given Martin is dead!

Crazy isn't it 'stand your ground' ...only in America

Last edited by Martin2005; 27 March 2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old 27 March 2012, 06:55 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

... ...
As for Florida . And he wears a hoodie ... not risable, just wondered why the guy was wearing one in a tropical climate ....

Dave
The story I'd heard is that it was raining heavily, which would be one possible explanation.

Whatever comes out of this case, I hope it doesn't lead to a further weakening of the right to self-defense over on this side of the pond.
Old 27 March 2012, 07:07 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Umm. I'm not "defending" Zimmerwotsit, just saying that he's been tried in the media, and by the current President, before the full facts are known. Which was the first thing I wrote in this thread.
And it's a fact that certain sections oif the US are bigging up the race angle. Again, we don't have all the facts. The investigation is "ongoing"

As for the hoodie thing being irrelevant, it's not actually. But then you're too PC to understand how the way someone dresses can be found threatening.

As for Fox News, no, I did not know it was on Sky. Now I do I probably still won't watch it.

Ahj. You were there then? As for the 'stand your ground' law, that's not the US. It's a Florida thing.

dave
Is Florida suddenly not in the US then?
Old 27 March 2012, 07:15 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Umm. I'm not "defending" Zimmerwotsit, just saying that he's been tried in the media, and by the current President, before the full facts are known. Which was the first thing I wrote in this thread.
And it's a fact that certain sections oif the US are bigging up the race angle. Again, we don't have all the facts. The investigation is "ongoing"

As for the hoodie thing being irrelevant, it's not actually. But then you're too PC to understand how the way someone dresses can be found threatening.

As for Fox News, no, I did not know it was on Sky. Now I do I probably still won't watch it.

Ahj. You were there then? As for the 'stand your ground' law, that's not the US. It's a Florida thing.

dave
So far all I can work out from your posts are that hoodies are bad and guns are OK

Strange world really

BTW Obama has not got involved in the case, as he cannot by law get involved, he chose his words very carefully if you listen to what he actually said you'd know that. All he did was show some empathy with the dead kids parents.
Old 27 March 2012, 09:57 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Martin2005
Is Florida suddenly not in the US then?
Different states different laws. Either way they both look like trouble, shame they didnt kill each other

(That should stir something up )
Old 27 March 2012, 10:54 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

only in america tbh

do you get someone called Trayvon

but seriously, don't know all of the facts, but the very laissez faire attitude of the police is disturbing in itself

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 27 March 2012 at 10:55 PM.
Old 27 March 2012, 10:59 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

All the facts are not available about this, but the race hustlers in America are getting their pound of flesh. Even the President is playing race politics.

It might be Zimmerman is guilty of murder, but I read there are witness to him being assaulted by Trayvon, who contrary to the pictures of an angelic child was actually about 6' 2" and had been kicked out of school for drug offenses.

It needs judging in Florida law on the merits of the case, not knee jerks and trial by media. Self-defense laws are different in the US than here as well.
Old 27 March 2012, 11:02 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
Problem is it seemed OK for the police to take his word against Martin's; which is a tricky given Martin is dead!
That is demagoguery.

Quick Reply: Trayvon Martin