Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Tow bars - what do I really need to know?

Search this Thread

Old 22 March 2012, 10:57 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tow bars - what do I really need to know?

I'm going to be doing some towing soon, but have yet to find a clear indication of what I actually require.

I've seen swan necks, detachable, twin wiring looms, sensor faults, warranty invalidating wiring etc but nothing that says to tow x, your vehicle requires y.

I always thought the idea of online shopping was that the buyer should have what they want in their shopping basket in 3 clicks.

I would like to tow a Ifor Williams BV64e trailer with a new-shape Ford Mondeo estate. Quite simply, I just want to know what I need.
Old 22 March 2012, 11:05 AM
Frosticles
Scooby Regular

Single electric hide-away. Had one on my Golf MK4 for towing my Mexico which had a detachable neck. Also have a swing bar on my BMW which is dead easy and again, Invisible when not in use.
Old 22 March 2012, 11:52 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Garage fitted a bar to my 405 Estate. But fixed to bodywork rather than solid chassis which came loose after a few trips and trailer nearly parted company on M25 during rush hour. So be warned.

I never quite got the hang of reversing trailer into confined space

dl
Old 22 March 2012, 01:04 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Your best bet is to ask around locally who can do the job.

Then all the backache and muck and problems is/are their responsibility.

I had one fitted to my Scoob, named bar, fitting was £15.

I remove the towing hook when not in use: four bolts
Old 22 March 2012, 01:25 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

My old BMW had Brink detachable.

Detachables are good as they don't upset the reverse sensors (it would play up when fitted) and don't upset the looks (lets face it, a fixed tow bar looks shyte ). It was a "bolt-on" kit that replaced the inner bumper impact mounts. A small amount of the bumper had to be cut away underneath, but other than the electrics it was a straight forward bolt-on affair.

The electrics on the otherhand are more poke and prod. The ideal setup would be an OEM tow electrics interface which "should" plug in somewhere, but these are very expensive. Plug and play aftermarket ones do exist but again are pricey. The cheaper ones are universal and have to be wired in by hand after finding the relative signalling wires.

One word of warning with removable bars...keep the fittings/catch and socket clean and lubricated to prevent rust and gunk build up from UK's over-salted roads. I've had my seize up and wouldn't attach properly (it would only half lock), even WD40 and hitting it with a rubber mallet couldn't coax it to lock-in properly....as a last gasp, towing the trailer and slamming on the brakes managed to jolt it and lock in properly. Ever since I've cleaned it with degreaser and neat TFR and lubed with service spray every 12months or so and its never been a problem, but its something to be cautious of if left neglected (I didn't touch it for over three years before it played up).

Last edited by ALi-B; 22 March 2012 at 01:32 PM.
Old 22 March 2012, 01:37 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I have a fixed bar on a Volvo Estate. Sticks out quite a bit and when street parking is very tight I always worry that I am going to "collect" the car behind. And it's a killer for banging shins in the dark

dl
Old 27 March 2012, 06:12 AM
Bean1984
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Get someone else to fit it mate. I had one on my vectra v6 saloon. Young lad rear ended me in his pimped up fezzy with police behind him. I get out and inspect the damage. Couple of scratches etc as yhe tow bar took the worst of the impact. Young lads car, well he defo needed a new radiator and ftont end at the least

I walked away laughing thinking that was the best £70 i spent
Old 27 March 2012, 06:42 AM
steve nic
Scooby Regular

if the mondeo has factory parking sensors a ridged towbar will set them off,i have done loads for my local ford dealer and allways fit a westfalia detachable bar with single electrics just on a bypass relay and never had any problems!i have 15 to do in april but with twin electrics,so sorry guys more caravans on the road.....
Old 27 March 2012, 04:36 PM
subzerokent
Scooby Regular

New shape Mondeo is can bus wiring. Fit a pucka ford wiring kit or bypass relay. Don't try and just cut the wiring into the rear lights. If yours has reverse sencers they may need programming to tell then you have a tow bar fitted
Old 27 March 2012, 04:46 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by subzerokent
New shape Mondeo is can bus wiring. Fit a pucka ford wiring kit or bypass relay. Don't try and just cut the wiring into the rear lights. If yours has reverse sencers they may need programming to tell then you have a tow bar fitted
What's can bus wiring? I've never seen that mentioned anywhere.
Old 27 March 2012, 05:05 PM
subzerokent
Scooby Regular

It's a new well been used for a few years now system that basically turns the wiring system into a data line pinging the power back and forth.

Have you noticed that you can't get to the positive post on your battery ??? It's been fitted like that to stop you jump starting a car and damaging your ecu system

The best bet is to find a company that specilist in tow bar fitting cause if they **** it up you won't be left with a nasty bill to sort it out

Moden cars and tow bar wiring are a right nightmare to do now
Old 27 March 2012, 05:10 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

That probably explains why I've not found any straight forward answers which didn't confuse things further.
Old 27 March 2012, 05:13 PM
Bristol98
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby_bigal
Get someone else to fit it mate. I had one on my vectra v6 saloon. Young lad rear ended me in his pimped up fezzy with police behind him. I get out and inspect the damage. Couple of scratches etc as yhe tow bar took the worst of the impact. Young lads car, well he defo needed a new radiator and ftont end at the least

I walked away laughing thinking that was the best £70 i spent
LOL, I thought the same when some numptie rear-ended a cav v6 I had with a towbar.......................until I got it checked and both rear chassis legs were bent! , actually that smiley should be as with the cheque from that car I got my first scoob!
Old 27 March 2012, 05:13 PM
subzerokent
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
That probably explains why I've not found any straight forward answers which didn't confuse things further.

Moden car electrics are a right nightmare

In the Peugeot once you have fitted the tow bar electrics you have to program the ecu to tell it there fitted. Your Mondeo might be the same
Old 27 March 2012, 07:41 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Most cars using can-bus have a socket for the towbar wiring to plug into.
It may be hidden, mind
Old 27 March 2012, 08:35 PM
steve nic
Scooby Regular

no towbar plug on the mondeo,as i said i do lots of them,fit a bypass relay and job done,easy!