Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

You can't trust newsagents.

Search this Thread

Old 20 March 2012, 06:11 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
Default You can't trust newsagents.

Would you believe a shopkeeper tried to do a 73 year old out of thier lottery winnings, thank god for Camelot

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-winnings.html
Old 20 March 2012, 07:16 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Shady Ba5tards

Pleased to hear they both got 12 months inside, have lost their jobs AND the accomodation that went with it - Couldn't have happened to a more deserving pair
Old 20 March 2012, 07:37 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Dodgy *******.
Serves them right.

Good of Mr. Badham-Davies to forgive them, but I am not sure about this bit- 'The only thing that upset me, to an extent, is it really spoiled my village life. I loved going into that village shop.'

I understand that he loved going to the village shop, and the dodgy ******* have made it sour for him. But as a £156k lottery winner, his village life wouldn't have been same as before; to an extent. Some people who didn't want to know him would have become his mates, and some of the people who knew him would have ignored him out of jealousy. So, I think winning a 6 figure lottery itself can be a barrier for someone to lead a normal life as before. As he has his winning money now, I wish him much happiness and peace .
Old 20 March 2012, 08:03 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Pretty much ruined their livelihoods . Not long after the scratchcards came out there was a shopkeeper near here done for scratching off the corners and only selling the losers.
Old 20 March 2012, 08:27 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

I thought our local newsagents were bad enough charging 5p extra on postage stamps (which I don't think is allowed).
Old 20 March 2012, 08:27 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

I haven't heard anyone winning thousands or even hundreds on scratchcards. I hear that some people win maximum 2 quid or a tenner on a scartchcard and greedily invest it back into buying more scratchcards. Or, if a tenner, they'll buy a packet of **** and invest rest of the money back into buying more scratchcards. Now when they scratch these ones with their mucky looking 2p., they will win **** all. Then they see their @rse. Either scratchcards are cons, or the shopkeepers are dodgy. It could be both. I never buy lottery or a scratchcard. What's the point? I have more chance of getting scratched by my cats than winning any money by scratching a conning scratchcard.
Old 20 March 2012, 08:33 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Turbohot
Dodgy *******.
Serves them right.

Good of Mr. Badham-Davies to forgive them, but I am not sure about this bit- 'The only thing that upset me, to an extent, is it really spoiled my village life. I loved going into that village shop.'

I understand that he loved going to the village shop, and the dodgy ******* have made it sour for him. But as a £156k lottery winner, his village life wouldn't have been same as before; to an extent. Some people who didn't want to know him would have become his mates, and some of the people who knew him would have ignored him out of jealousy. So, I think winning a 6 figure lottery itself can be a barrier for someone to lead a normal life as before. As he has his winning money now, I wish him much happiness and peace .

Nah, 156 grand is not that big an amount, people earn that every year, and easy to keep quiet.
Old 20 March 2012, 08:36 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

When scratch cards first came out, a woman on the next road, won 20 grand. It was on local tv etc. She then kicked out her boyfriend. He put a brick through her front window in revenge.
Old 20 March 2012, 09:12 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

what I love about the lottery is that it really brings people and communities together

just a bit of harmless fun
Old 20 March 2012, 09:22 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Nah, 156 grand is not that big an amount, people earn that every year, and easy to keep quiet.

They may earn £156k every year, but not in one shot to the village shop. I don't think so.

LOL I meant for a poor old pensioner residing in a council bungalow, in a little village, on his handful pension etc., £156k is a big sum. As a matter of fact, a tax free £156k is big sum for the one who earns £156k a year as well, because you don't have to graft for a year for that sum on a drip. Instead, all you did was that you walked to the village shop, bought a lottery ticket from two dodgy *******, grassed them up for acting too smart with you, and got the lump sum for doing virtually nothing. Come on.

I agree that £156k or even little a bit more can be kept quiet. Its just that I was imagining this old gentleman in a really clicquy village where other villagers may even know what colour undies he wears. You know what I mean.

Last edited by Turbohot; 20 March 2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old 20 March 2012, 10:12 PM
pmcb
Scooby Regular

Lottery - Self assesed stupidity tax. Even if you win, you're still retarded. I'm surprised the old duffer knew he was being fleeced
Old 20 March 2012, 10:17 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbohot
They may earn £156k every year, but not in one shot to the village shop. I don't think so.

LOL I meant for a poor old pensioner residing in a council bungalow, in a little village, on his handful pension etc., £156k is a big sum. As a matter of fact, a tax free £156k is big sum for the one who earns £156k a year as well, because you don't have to graft for a year for that sum on a drip. Instead, all you did was that you walked to the village shop, bought a lottery ticket from two dodgy *******, grassed them up for acting too smart with you, and got the lump sum for doing virtually nothing. Come on.

I agree that £156k or even little a bit more can be kept quiet. Its just that I was imagining this old gentleman in a really clicquy village where other villagers may even know what colour undies he wears. You know what I mean.
Not such a good thing, as he will lose all his benefits and if he spends it at a rate that is faster than the amount he gets in benefit would of lasted,then when he tries to claim again they will refuse him, so he is no better off at all, in fact it's actually more hastle than it's worth, GB not as great as people think.
Old 20 March 2012, 10:53 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
I thought our local newsagents were bad enough charging 5p extra on postage stamps (which I don't think is allowed).
Ours sell multi pack crisps as single packs, ditto for canned drinks

TX.
Old 20 March 2012, 10:55 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Originally Posted by pmcb
Lottery - Self assesed stupidity tax. Even if you win, you're still retarded. I'm surprised the old duffer knew he was being fleeced
Tax on fools apparently

TX.
Old 20 March 2012, 10:57 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
Not such a good thing, as he will lose all his benefits and if he spends it at a rate that is faster than the amount he gets in benefit would of lasted,then when he tries to claim again they will refuse him, so he is no better off at all, in fact it's actually more hastle than it's worth, GB not as great as people think.

Where does it say he is on benefits? or even living in council accomodation for that matter.
Old 20 March 2012, 11:05 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Greedy swines. Am glad they got caught out. Robbing a pensioner
Old 20 March 2012, 11:14 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
Yeah, and that takes the matter back to what I stated before, that the winner's life couldn't have as nice as he says it could have been, whether he was conned by those dishonest shop keepers or not. I stated that winning a £156k lottery can bring him troubles in terms of social and amusement aspects of his life. Going to the shop was a bit of an amusement for him, which has been ruined. He blames the shop keepers' dishonesty for that, although he kindly forgives them, too. You demonstrate how lottery will have a negative impact upon his benefits. So, at the end, we derive the same conclusion that winning the lottery itself causes a misery; a socio-econmic encumbrance for this elderly, retired individual. Not that he should have left the money with those swindler shop keepers, or struck a crafty deal with them but let's face it, he was doomed since the moment he set his eyes on that lottery ticket. Going by what you say, I bet he doesn't know whether to laugh or cry right now.
Old 20 March 2012, 11:16 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kingofturds
............... or even living in council accomodation for that matter.
I did say I was imagining.

Ditchmyster will clarify where he got his piece of info from.
Old 20 March 2012, 11:24 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
When scratch cards first came out, a woman on the next road, won 20 grand. It was on local tv etc. She then kicked out her boyfriend. He put a brick through her front window in revenge.
Oh, right. So, someone did win 20k on a scratchcard at some point. That's good, but see, what winning money can do? Even just 20k drove the woman nuts, than the boyfriend went nuts! No good.
Old 21 March 2012, 12:37 AM
pmcb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lee247
Greedy swines. Am glad they got caught out. Robbing a pensioner
Absolutely. Did you see that shopkeeper's picture? He even LOOKS horrible.

As a side issue - If there ARE any lottery winners watching, it so happens that I have some magic beans for sale. They're probably worth a lot more, but I would be willing to sell. Offers in the region of £150,000 please
Old 21 March 2012, 01:36 AM
Bugatti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pmcb
I have some magic beans for sale.
Do they have to be surgically implanted into the sack??
Old 21 March 2012, 01:39 AM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Always thought people take a huge chance handing over their ticket for the shopkeeper to check automatically on the machine. "Sorry, you haven't won anything again " Then a couple of weeks later they are staying at their new villa in Spain
Old 21 March 2012, 04:18 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Relatives will look after the couple’s ten-year-old daughter while they serve their sentences. Mr Badham-Davies, 73, who has since received his full winnings, said after the hearing that he forgave the Jeevarajahs."

The benefits of extended families.
Old 21 March 2012, 07:40 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

So don't trust doggy Indian shopkeepers?
Old 21 March 2012, 04:50 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
Have they moved Sri Lanka then?
Old 21 March 2012, 05:03 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Bit bloody daft for 156 k

Does make you wonder how often its actually happened before undetected
Old 21 March 2012, 05:08 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cster
"Relatives will look after the couple’s ten-year-old daughter while they serve their sentences. Mr Badham-Davies, 73, who has since received his full winnings, said after the hearing that he forgave the Jeevarajahs."

The benefits of extended families.
Maybe hes a good christian , or not so poor a pensioner
Old 21 March 2012, 05:22 PM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular

A couple of times I have went into my local shop and handed tickets over saying there is £10 to claim on this. Each time the woman serving gave me a lecture saying you should never say how much there is to be claimed, and always ask to see the ticket after it has been put through the machine just incase you made a mistake and there is more than £10.

Around Christmas I went into claim a tenner, ended up getting £76 back paid for my xmas beers.
Old 21 March 2012, 05:25 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
Thats a bit catty
Old 21 March 2012, 05:27 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyDriverWannabe
A couple of times I have went into my local shop and handed tickets over saying there is £10 to claim on this. Each time the woman serving gave me a lecture saying you should never say how much there is to be claimed, and always ask to see the ticket after it has been put through the machine just incase you made a mistake and there is more than £10.

Around Christmas I went into claim a tenner, ended up getting £76 back paid for my xmas beers.
its happened to the girlfriend too , then she goes and buys more tickets with the proceeds

Quick Reply: You can't trust newsagents.