Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Fixing cars from a home address

Search this Thread

Old 18 March 2012, 03:50 PM
Johnny E
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixing cars from a home address

A friend of mine lives next door to a guy who is fixing cars from home, inbetween there houses is a unadopted road not large just the length of there house's, and he's taking the **** with having atleast 4 cars there each day and night. This guy got sacked 6 months ago from work and started working out of his house.
His he allowed to do this just or are there laws in place to stop this kind of thing. ?

Its just that its getting bit out of hand now and the light night are coming in and he thinks its going to get worst......
Old 18 March 2012, 03:59 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If he's doing the double, get him shopped.

If he's just trying to provide for himself and family under these hard times then you're a complete **** for trying to get him into trouble.
Old 18 March 2012, 04:16 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Yep as above. There are laws against breathing these days so I am sure he will be breaking some of them. But give him a break and perhaps a quiet word is in order. Perhaps he could do some repairs at his customers' addresses instead of collecting them as he is?

dl
Old 18 March 2012, 04:22 PM
Johnny E
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
If he's doing the double, get him shopped.

If he's just trying to provide for himself and family under these hard times then you're a complete **** for trying to get him into trouble.
I dont give a toss about him as i dont live next to him. But my mate says the noise is getting worst of a night and keeping his kids up,

The kids used to play outside but no room now to many cars parked up waiting to be fixed.

If it was disturbing me and my family i would shop him
Old 18 March 2012, 05:23 PM
super_ted
Scooby Regular

The first thing to do would be have a chat with him. Try & agree to him keeping the noise to a min after a certain time would be a good start.
Old 18 March 2012, 05:27 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

Have a word with environmental health ask where he is getting rid of any waste oil ;-)
Old 18 March 2012, 05:31 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wish
Have a word with environmental health ask where he is getting rid of any waste oil ;-)
Neighbours, everybody loves......good neighbours.
Old 18 March 2012, 05:41 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

As was mentioned, why not just have a word with him to see if some kind of compromise can be reached in a friendly manner.

Les
Old 18 March 2012, 06:53 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say ask him to come to a comprimise, remember its not easy for everyone at the minute finding work, he might be keeping his family ticking over by doing this work, how would he feel in the same position. not a dig, just my 2p.
Old 18 March 2012, 07:04 PM
JohnSmith
Scooby Regular

I have 4 cars outside my house and sometimes I work on them, does that make it wrong

if they are taxed insured etc what law is being broken?

My local tip takes waste oil for free along with car batteries etc too

Interestingly what would you shop him for ?
Old 18 March 2012, 07:06 PM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

It`s all well and good sympathising with him, but what if there`s an accident / explosion (if he`s welding or whatever) and the neighbours property is damaged or a person is hurt? Is he insured.....ummm no! If he wants to fix cars, get a business property and do it correctly. Just my opinion.
Old 18 March 2012, 07:16 PM
addi monster
Scooby Regular

imho i would not be too impressed either, if they were his own cars fair enough but littering the street with other cars is not on, also as said if there was an accident i doubt it very much that he will be insured,.
i would tell him to get a garage or stop it.
Old 18 March 2012, 07:16 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

You can't beat 'curb side motors' outfit
Old 18 March 2012, 07:59 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamo
I would say ask him to come to a comprimise, remember its not easy for everyone at the minute finding work, he might be keeping his family ticking over by doing this work, how would he feel in the same position. not a dig, just my 2p.
+1.

Personally, if I was the guy working on cars, I would think it was quite unreasonable to simply 'shop' me. I do think that approach is unreasonable anyway. I would politely ask him to be quiter at certain times or avoid doing the particular things that are annoying you - even just lessen them.

Fair enough, if he then takes an attitude and persists or shows no sign of taking what has been said into consideration, then go to the authorities, but not before that outcome.

Some of the laws relating to what he's doing are arbitrary and ridiculous, in my opinion, and some would argue no business of the government or anyone else unless a third party is directly affected by them. If issues can be resolved without resorting to these nanny state rules and regulations, then there's no reason to go down that route unless it's for spite. In which case, a person needs to ask themselves if they'd like such treatment in return.
Old 18 March 2012, 08:06 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

We used to live opposite a mechanic and he was told he can park cars on the road temporarily during the day whilst he is working, but they must be on his own premises when not. Similar rules to lorries and JCB's and such.
Old 18 March 2012, 08:10 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
As was mentioned, why not just have a word with him to see if some kind of compromise can be reached in a friendly manner.

Les
Agreed! What's all this talk of shopping him and phoning the environmental health?
Old 18 March 2012, 08:12 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Some years ago my cousin did the same thing,used to work at Ford as a mechanic then set up his own business even imported Harley motorcycles from the states.
ended up selling the garage and set up a ramp and equipment in his garage at home.Did it for years as a proper business.never had customers cars out on the road though,but in the end had to give it up because of his back.
Old 18 March 2012, 08:13 PM
Scooby Dan
Scooby Regular

I sympathise with the op's mate. I have lived next door to someone like this for the last 13 years and at times it has been hell . I get up at 4.30 am most mornings to go to work and the last thing I need when I am trying to sleep at 11 pm is this idiot hammering , grinding or welding in his shed which is about 4 metres from my bedroom window .
Sometimes we can't even watch tv in the evenings because his welder is making our lights flicker constantly. In the summer we can't open the windows due to his loud stereo .
I think your mate should nip it in the bud as quickly as possible as people like that are very rarely reasonable and will get away with as much as they can .

Last edited by Scooby Dan; 18 March 2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old 18 March 2012, 08:37 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Dan
I sympathise with the op's mate. I have lived next door to someone like this for the last 13 years and at times it has been hell . I get up at 4.30 am most mornings to go to work and the last thing I need when I am trying to sleep at 11 pm is this idiot hammering , grinding or welding in his shed which is about 4 metres from my bedroom window .
Sometimes we can't even watch tv in the evenings because his welder is making our lights flicker constantly. In the summer we can't open the windows due to his loud stereo .
I think your mate should nip it in the bud as quickly as possible as people like that are very rarely reasonable and will get away with as much as they can .
Sad, but true.
Old 18 March 2012, 08:44 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Disappointing thread fellas - 19 posts and no one has suggested going round to rough him up. NSR's hard cases (keyboard warriors) must all have defected to piston heads!!!!!
Old 18 March 2012, 08:45 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

we ain't even mentioned his missus' norks.
Old 18 March 2012, 09:11 PM
JohnSmith
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
we ain't even mentioned his missus' norks.
NOw this thread has just about become useless without pics
Old 18 March 2012, 11:13 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tarmac terror
Disappointing thread fellas - 19 posts and no one has suggested going round to rough him up. NSR's hard cases (keyboard warriors) must all have defected to piston heads!!!!!

We were just waiting for a volunteer......

Well done

d
Old 18 March 2012, 11:21 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

ill go round and kick his **** in! lol for a fee

my answer go and talk to the guy, explain your "mates" fears and go from there, if he comes back with a fck you attitude, then he is asking for trouble, but id think he would be quite likley to take comments on board and accomodate accordingly.

grassing for me just isnt an option, ever. if people being put at risk just MAKE him stop by kicking his **** in with the scoobynet massives backing
Old 19 March 2012, 01:44 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Has your mate not got a backbone? Why doesn't he just go round and talk to him, he is probably a reasonable guy just trying to keep his head above water.
Old 19 March 2012, 07:11 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
Has your mate not got a backbone? Why doesn't he just go round and talk to him, he is probably a reasonable guy just trying to keep his head above water.
It is also likely that he is on benefits, not insured and not paying any tax.
Just like the rest of us
Old 19 March 2012, 11:46 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Would you believe it was a neighbour shopping my Grandad for fixing cars in the street/alley that forced him to properly set up his business. Fast forward over fifty years and the business is still going.

But anyhoo, if it was dodgy to do that fifty years ago, its guaranteed to be an offence of some form today!
Old 19 March 2012, 12:08 PM
Kirstiestar
Scooby Regular

If they are his own cars then he is allowed to i believe, if he is running an undeclared business then its illegal!
Old 19 March 2012, 02:10 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

He needs planning permission from the council to carry out car repairs anywhere & he won't get it in a residential area. He needs to go mobile traveling to customers houses as permission is not needed for that.
Old 19 March 2012, 02:33 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RICHARD J
He needs planning permission from the council to carry out car repairs anywhere & he won't get it in a residential area. He needs to go mobile traveling to customers houses as permission is not needed for that.
Incorrect

The mechanic I have used for years works from home, registered business all above board etc

Quick Reply: Fixing cars from a home address