Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Stan Boardman

Search this Thread

Old 05 March 2002, 07:32 AM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Agree with Tiggs. Seems it's OK to have a pop at him for being Mickey Mouse and hurling stereotypical abuse at him All this PC ball*cks really p*sses me off [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] If you stand in the river, you get wet. Fact.

TONY

Edited as censor thing did not work!

[Edited by tonybooth - 5/3/2002 7:34:17 AM]
Old 05 March 2002, 10:55 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Exclamation

As I said, just my opinion.

There's enough racism in this world without people like him, who are in a position of power being up on the stage, verbally belittling (sp?!) people in front of everybody for the sake of comedy.

But you are correct, it was innapropriate to have booked him in the first place. Leeds - or not.

[Edited by DJ Dunk - 5/3/2002 10:57:13 AM]
Old 02 May 2002, 11:08 PM
sasman
Scooby Regular

Anyone know what he is supposed to of said?.
Old 02 May 2002, 11:47 PM
Swift Nick
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Racist comments I think about the Lee Bowyer and Jonathon Woodgate affair
Old 03 May 2002, 12:55 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

he got heckled by an asian chap, he answered back making reference to elephants, curry, etc- as you'd expect from stan boardman. if you dont like his comedy dont hire the bloke for a dinner!

Old 03 May 2002, 09:06 AM
Nick Wadeson
Scooby Regular

I think he said something along the lines of;

"I hear they went out to a club last night. When they came out, one said to the other: 'I could murder an Indian."

(refering to Jonathan Woodgate and Lee Bowyer)

The 700-strong audience were stunned into silence, and when an Asian man protested, Boardman responded with trademark light-handed subtlety: "F**king hell, I'm being heckled by Pakis now. Why don't you go back to your curry house or shop in Bradford? Your elephant's waiting outside."

Now I class myself as politcically incorrect (laughing at other's misfortune etc), but I feel Stan was a little insensitive on this one!

I also think that Leeds United were stupid for hiring this 'type' of comedian in light of what happened at the club during the last season. They must have known he would come out with this sort of material.
Old 03 May 2002, 09:19 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Angry

That is way out of line.

There's a joke and theres a joke [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 03 May 2002, 09:55 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

not stans fault- i bet his original joke has been getting laughs for months at his stand up shows. and his put down is one that he has been using since he was 12- the problem is the FC hiring a comic known to do that sort of comedy- and he aint alone.

and there is no point in saying that comedy is wrong/out of date/etc becuase guys like stan are doing very well on it and will continue to for a long while yet. hes just best left to do it in a more appropriate place.

Tiggs

ps- it aint my kind of comedy by the way, just realistic.
Old 03 May 2002, 10:22 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Leeds United have to take responsibility for booking the prat in the first place. Book a chap with a history of making racist jokes and what do you expect?

But the bloke is a fool for thinking that that was a good idea.
Old 03 May 2002, 10:26 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Smile

Okay, I see where he's coming from with the joke. But, the response to the man in the crowd seems a bit (read - very) harsh.

Lee Evans got it spot on when I saw him a couple of weeks ago. Some bloke in the crowd got up and said that he hadn't made him laugh. Lee apologised and said to the bloke he could have his money back if he didn't suceed in the second half. The man then proceeded to ask Lee to do some 'black' jokes. Lee then flew off the handle a raged at the bloke saying that he doesn't do that sort of thing and basically told the bloke to f**k off. The crowd supported him.

IMO we live in a multi-cultural community and nomatter who you are, you have to respect that. Stan is one of the old-school and doesn't seem to understand this principle and I think is in the minority. Just my opinion, but maybe he should call it a day ?
Old 03 May 2002, 10:49 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

"he should call it a day" errr.... why would he do that, he still works and still has a lot of people come to his shows who thinks he is very funny- i expect when hes in a club surrounded by a crowd all laughing at his gags he feels his comedy is not in the minority at all.

he does what he does and earns a living from it- he wasnt invite to leeds for nothing- he was booked to come and do his "thing"- he did it and leeds didnt like it- understandably so, they made the mistake booking him, not him for doing what he does.

Tiggs

ps- i saw Lee Evans at the hexagon in Reading, he got heckled and acted like a muppet- saying sorry to the bloke and asking if he could do better he was welcome to have a go...pathetic- now, i've seen some comedians say things to hecklers that if put on here would start a 100 page debate on offensive/non-offensive but they were funny!
Old 03 May 2002, 11:25 AM
MarkJackon
Scooby Regular

I would be quite happy for a comedian of another race to have a laugh at my expense, Im white and not bothered as long as it makes me laugh, theres a fine line to be trodden that Mr Boardman overstepped. I enjoy Goodness Gracious Me and they have done some superb sketches that parody the English and some of our ways but I suspect that nowadays no tv company in their right mind would allow the opposite to happen, however gentle the comedy may be. I think we are now paying the price for those that have gone before who included real racial hatred in their comedy.
Old 03 May 2002, 01:01 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Lets be honest about it. All comedy is made at the expense of someone/somebody else. I hear plenty of jokes about the Scots but could'nt give a sh*t. If you don't like it then don't go or leave.
If some body insults me personnally, I'll deck them. If they tell a joke about my race, religion etc I'll probably laugh.
Bit stupid of Leeds to book him as all these types of comedians do the same act. Trying to think ok a joke that is'nt sexist, racist, ageist, bigoted, fattist etc etc. Can't do it.
JMO
Alasdair
Old 03 May 2002, 08:52 PM
sasman
Scooby Regular

Nick, you say you think this is what was said, the joke is ok to my mind but the put down is to strong, wonder if this is the actual comments. Oh just watched a program called Honky Panky about white men liking Asians, I don't mind the title but you can feel the brain washing PC,that makes you wonder if it is bad taste.
Old 04 May 2002, 06:51 AM
neilb
Scooby Regular

Angry

stan boardman is a tw*t.

It's attitudes like that which create these problems
Old 05 May 2002, 02:49 PM
dba
Scooby Regular

He should be critcised for being a second rate shyte comedian,nevermind racist.

However,if racism means to hate someone simply because they have different coloured skin,I fail to see how Boardmans unfunny shyte is racist.Its unfuny shyte definately,and unpalatable to boot,but is it racist? The mark he is supposedly to have overstepped re the "murder the Indian gag" is where exactly? who sets these marks? Middle class England or the 1000's of fans he has keeping him in a good living.

Fact is these comedians make a good living day in day out using racist/sexist/homophobic material.It exists,yet when its thrust into the public eye there is this furore!!?? Its like "its ok as long as middle class England doesn't get exposed to it".

Hypocrsy in my book,and as much as I dislike these comedians,I find it difficult to defend middle class sensibilities in this case.

Old 05 May 2002, 02:58 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

The mark he is supposedly to have overstepped re the "murder the Indian gag" is where exactly?
So making fun of the fact that a lad had the **** beaten out of him and was left for dead, In his home town is not overstepping the mark ?! I pity the people that live near you.
Old 05 May 2002, 02:59 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Its noting to do necessarily with racism or what is/isn't funny but a matter of what is decent.

Sick [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 05 May 2002, 03:56 PM
sebastian
Scooby Regular

ANN WINTERTON

To those above defending Mr. Boardman, does the same apply to her too then?
Old 05 May 2002, 04:46 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
700 people in the audience?? are u sure, last time I saw Mr Boardman performing we were walking past an old peoples home on blackpool pleasure beach and it was advertised with a cheap luminous yellow and black poster in the window, obviously he's made a comeback. He's sh*t anyway

my 2p's worth
Old 05 May 2002, 05:35 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Two sides to every story?

I have heard the heckler referred to Mr Boardman's home town, along the lines of someone's knicked me shoelaces, oh the scouser on the stage. Don't give if you are not prepared to take.

Born in Liverpool, I have been told (and told) jokes about scousers all being thieves and layabouts. Even heard "Jokes" about Heysel and Hillsbrough from people in Leeds.

I have not taken time off work because of the stress and anguish this causes me!

Look, there are "jokes" knocking around about the ex Queen Mother. The day after Diana died, there were sick/black jokes made about it/her.

Had the heckler been a cockney and Mr B's retort had referred to his jam jar being outside, gaw luvaduck get back on yer barrer. Is that OK?

Yes Britain is a multicultural society, everyone in it should learn to laugh along. It's part of being British, as our Jocko friend pointed out earlier. And I hope he won't deck me for saying so.

P.S.

What do you call a scouser in a white shellsuit?

The bride.
Old 05 May 2002, 08:07 PM
dba
Scooby Regular

DJ Dunk,

I didn't find his attempt at humour funny in the slightest,so lay off the guesswork.I didn't say i agreed with him or find the joke tasteful,in fact the only opinion I passed was to accuse the Britsih media and some sections of middle England hypocritical.The same people that are raging about Boardman now probably find Anne Widdecombe electable,i don't and you guessed my opinion,wrongly as it happens.I can ignore with Boardman cus he is a racist nobody,hypocritical middle class yuppies who pretend to find Goodness Gracious me funny just so they can pretend they are well rounded indiviuals when in fact they really like to laugh at racists like Boardman.....wind me up even more.

Like I said,you have read something into my post that wasn't intended,i apologise for that.Hopefully you now know my true feelings,i can't bloody stand Daily Mail Readers!! can we move on? I don't like this thread.
Old 05 May 2002, 09:11 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Oh yeah here we go. The usual PC brigade are out.

Thats the trouble with this country these days. People have to realise that things will sometimes be said that offend others. I have said many things in the past I'm not proud of but not ashamed of either.

A lot of people are really fed up with all the things that have to be done to appease minority groups. Can you imagine if we had things like the White police officers federation or the white fire brigades union. There would be bloody uproar. Ok to have black ones though.

We also see councils, political parties etc saying they have to employ so many that are ethnic minorities or gay or disabled etc.

Ask yourself, if your house was on fire would you want to be rescued by a big strapping fireman or a lesbian in a wheelchair.
Cynical maybe, but its happening.

Dont get me wrong I am not racist. My next door neighbours are from India and are great friends. my sister in law is from Africa.

Both take the mick out of us Welsh all the time but no offence is taken as we all see the funny side of things. Pity a few more cant I say.

Chip.

Old 06 May 2002, 12:56 AM
andym172
Scooby Regular

For what it's worth I thought his comments were pretty funny, although I may be biased - he's a good friend of my dad. At the end of the day a joke is a joke and the best way to deal with one if it's thrown in your direction is to laugh.

I too am a scouser and am met with the "oh I better hide my jewellery/wallet" comments near enough every time I meet somebody and they find out I'm from Liverpool.
Am I hurt by these comments? No - just bored!

Andy.
Old 06 May 2002, 01:04 AM
stephen emery
Scooby Regular

the jokes not funny , boardman well named!
has been ( never was for me) who new i suspect he would get a bit of publicity, thought he had given up or died !

Old 06 May 2002, 03:02 AM
Terzo 333
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Barry K, well said.
Old 06 May 2002, 05:34 PM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

Red face

There's a line that shouldn't be crossed in comedy. Unfortunately everyone's line is in a different place. It simply sounds like someone in Leeds who booked Stan needs a lesson in common sense.

PC=Pure Cr4p. I must admit to being slightly concerned about lesbian wheelchair-bound 'fire-persons' however.

Joolz
Old 06 May 2002, 06:37 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

The Mirror story was funny, after calling Stan Sick and Pathetic they went on to say how by most accounts he had them all in stitches with plenty of people saying "well done stan" after the diner.

and he got £4,000 for the night so if thats what they pay washed up old has-been losers then Stan has VERY good managment!

looking wider afield than just the Stan thing is it not the case that most comedy will offend or upset someone? i remember seeing some Dennis leary stuff years ago when someone in my family had cancer- i found his "cancer jokes" pretty grim so i turned off.

recently i saw the same stuff and have to admit that his gag about the guy with the voice box arguing with the drive through machine at mcdonalds was pretty funny!

have some of the people here been to comedy clubs? (and i dont mean lee evans at the appollo!) if not then dont go- it sounds like you'd not have much fun! i went to the one in Bracknell (recommended) just after sep 11th- a yank comic was on doing stuff that would have got him lynched in NY but had lots of people laughing- were they all bad people? i dont think so

Tiggs
Tiggs

Old 06 May 2002, 08:29 PM
scooby555
Scooby Regular

All this political correctness really pi$$es me off !!!!!

Hey you lot shut the **** up and become a politician in BNP Burnley

And damn good joke Mr Boardman ROTFLMFAO
Old 07 May 2002, 06:58 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
"Dont get me wrong I am not racist. My next door neighbours are from India and are great friends. my sister in law is from Africa."

The old classic My neighbours are from India, Africa is a continent

No im not casting aspersions on you, just a bit of fun as I think weve covered the heavy stuff oh and i'm bored

FM

Quick Reply: Stan Boardman