Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Can someone recommend a good weights program for begginers at the gym

Search this Thread

Old 26 February 2012, 10:25 AM
vallumlj
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can someone recommend a good weights program for begginers at the gym

I have joined a gym again and want to try and build up and lose weight but the program they gave me is crap. Can someone recommend me a good one to start out with.

I need to try and get fit for my wedding in june.

Is stronglifts any good?

Thanks for the help
Old 26 February 2012, 10:37 AM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

just started myself heres what trainer gave me
15min warm up on bike level 10 95 rpm
15reps on 80pound repfly
15reps on 80pound reppush
repeat 4times swapping over
10mins on balance ball
10 mins on floor exercises
then back on bike
level 8 90rpm for 5 mins then level 10 90 rpm for 5mins
for a good workout 70% of heart rate is needed
220-age is maxium now 70% of that figure
Old 26 February 2012, 10:42 AM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would lose weight and get fit first, then look to put on muscle with a good diet.
Old 26 February 2012, 11:24 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No good starting a program you're not happy with,tell your trainer what you want to change/not happy about.

Myself i use a medicine ball warming up,lots of exercises you can do with these things,and they are good for cardio too.
Then i lift weights using 10,8,6 method.each set you're adding weight,it takes a bit of tinkering about when you first start though.

Last edited by DYK; 26 February 2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old 26 February 2012, 11:27 AM
dirtybarry
BANNED

cut out alcohol full stop eat tuna, chicken, and plenty of eggs fresh veg and fruit i take a protein drink but warn you they are not cheap
Old 26 February 2012, 12:05 PM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

http://www.beachbody.co.uk/product/f...|b|20804670100
Old 26 February 2012, 12:23 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by GlesgaKiss
I would lose weight and get fit first, then look to put on muscle with a good diet.
This is my plan atm. I went swimmimg with my daughter and left her with friends while I did a few lengths. My technique is fairly awful compared to another guy there so I tried to match him one for every two he did. I managed 6 and had to stop.

My fitness is my big issue. I'm not fat as such but have put on a bit of belly since in my 30s. My diet isnt too bad but my lack of exercise is seeing the weight come on.

Going to spin classes with the wife next week. Fitness freak mate of mine said its a good starting point.
Old 26 February 2012, 12:41 PM
richie001
Scooby Regular

If your looking to lose weight,I'd do Circuit Training and High Intensity Interval Training(HIIT Training).I did both a few years back and got great results but it really hard.

The internet got some really got programs for you to follow.

Diet is key,has already posted it's no alcohol etc,No carb's after 6pm and lots of Chicken,Turkey,Fish and Veg.
Old 26 February 2012, 04:53 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

You should be a seasoned pro by now! I've seen you asking this same question for more than six years. I am not going suggest anything as I'm sure you've been given more than enough advice over the years.
Old 26 February 2012, 05:08 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

LOL^^^@maz

Forget the gym if you want to lose weight, the places are full of them.

Eat less do more, walk 5 miles a day at a good pace, you will burn ish 700 calories, and be a lot fitter, sustained medium cardio workout is the biggest fat burner.

No carbs, bread or root vegetables.

3 squares a day and lots of water.

I did it with lots of salads and protein, ie chicken, tuna mackrell but i like salads so it was easy for me.

Good luck.
Old 26 February 2012, 05:10 PM
vallumlj
Scooby Regular

Ha ha I have been and still putting weight on something needs to change I might try some spin classes diet is gettIng better through
Old 26 February 2012, 05:28 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

I can tell you that in my experience 99% of what people say about the gym and training is pointless for you as people vary alot and respond to different things. If you want to actually lose weight you have to first establsih why you are fat, is it bad diet , have you always been fat how much exercise do you do now and how much did you do in the past ?
Old 26 February 2012, 05:33 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh and your two aims are contradictory, as it's not possible to lose weight and build muscle, because muscle weighs more than fat, so its not going to happen.

And by the sounds of it your a greedy ****** and you eat too much.
Old 26 February 2012, 05:38 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Stronglifts is well regarded by many but you will not know wether it works for you untill you try it, what I can say though is the traditional 4/5 day splits that people swear by is **** for me and the majority of people I know who are not genetically gifted or on juice, it has taken 2 years of wasting time in the gym and trying to micro manage my diet to find this out. You can get some gains this way but they tail off very quickly and plateaus tend to stick untill you eat huge amounts but then you get even fatter than you were at the start.
I had more muscle and less fat after six months of a full body work out and 40 minutes of carbio 3 days a week than after 2 years of 4-5 day splits and smashing it.
Old 26 February 2012, 05:43 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by vallumlj
Ha ha I have been and still putting weight on something needs to change I might try some spin classes diet is gettIng better through
Sorry for my bluntness but even you're seeing the funny side

Mate there is no magic diet/exercise. The whole industry exists to make money. having said that gyms do have their place for easy access to equipment and an environment where you can exercise. Ultimately it's a change of lifestyle that will yield results that last. The best form of cardiovascular exercise is as mentioned HIIT, this elevates the metabolism so you're burning calories even when you're resting. Couple this with a sensible balanced diet and you will lose weight.
You will NOT lose weight if you exercise haphazardly and occasionally and have one day where you eat sensibly and three where you don't. Consistency is the key.
Old 26 February 2012, 05:49 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
Oh and your two aims are contradictory, as it's not possible to lose weight and build muscle, because muscle weighs more than fat, so its not going to happen.

And by the sounds of it your a greedy ****** and you eat too much.
Hallo mate

The reason you cannot gain muscle and lose fat at the same time is because in order to gain muscle you need to eat more calories than you burn, to lose fat you need to burn more calories than you eat.
Muscle burns calories just by being there so you can eat more if you're carrying muscle.
Old 26 February 2012, 06:51 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

ditto some of above posts

eat well, train well, rest well and be consistant with all and you will yeild results over time.

effort in = results

haphazard training/eating = disappointment.

diet is the most important thing to get right, whatever your goals maybe
Old 26 February 2012, 07:45 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtybarry
cut out alcohol full stop eat tuna, chicken, and plenty of eggs fresh veg and fruit i take a protein drink but warn you they are not cheap

So just stop having nice stuff
Old 26 February 2012, 08:31 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
This can be answered without knowing the person. They eat too much! Admittedly they may not eat as much as you, or they may eat twice as much as you. Whatever, they eat too much for their metabolism. End of ....

Dave
This is complete and utter bull****. Countless studies have shown that most people keep the same number of fat cells their whole lives, they are pre detrmined to have a certain number and if those cells are shrunk then they will try harder to grow. In effect this means that many people find their metabolism drops as soon as they operate a calorie defecit, extreme calorie defecits have been shown to cause people to store more fat and Catabolise Muscle for energy . While excessive eating can grow your fat cells too much and then create new ones, to destroy a significant number of fat cells can only be done with either extreme and unhealthy dieting or steriod/drugs.
Old 26 February 2012, 08:35 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luan Pra bang
This is complete and utter bull****. Countless studies have shown that most people keep the same number of fat cells their whole lives, they are pre detrmined to have a certain number and if those cells are shrunk then they will try harder to grow. In effect this means that many people find their metabolism drops as soon as they operate a calorie defecit, extreme calorie defecits have been shown to cause people to store more fat and Catabolise Muscle for energy . While excessive eating can grow your fat cells too much and then create new ones, to destroy a significant number of fat cells can only be done with either extreme and unhealthy dieting or steriod/drugs.
really not true at all.
i understand what your getting at, but, "to destroy a significant number of fat cells can only be done with either extreme and unhealthy dieting or steriod/drugs", is complete and utter sh*t. without question.
studies mean sh*t, real life means everything. and real life countlessly disproves your hypothisis
Old 26 February 2012, 08:54 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Adipose cells range in size from 25-200 microns, to gain more cells you have to be generating so much fat that so many of your adipose cells exceed their maximum size that they split, however the mechanism to get rid of those cells is much more complex and much harder to do. If you have any evidence about how people actually destroy adipose rather than just shrink it I would like to know. Every thing I have ever read on the subject indicates that people keep the same number of fat cells from birth and as yet there is even a school of thought that after lipp suction the body will attemot to adjust its metabolism to re grow the lost cells.
Old 26 February 2012, 08:59 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

id just like to see the evidence that fat cells are reduced by extreme unhealthy dieting or steroids?
not partial cut and pastes from biased medical journals.

real life studies on how steroids reduce fat cells....

by there very nature, AAS are anabolic/androgenic, not catabolic. so how do they result in cell removal?
Old 26 February 2012, 09:08 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

Buy The Four Hour Body by Tim Ferris. Controversial but very easy to follow. A few chapters are a waste of time but this book is fantastic,I went from a 14 stone lard **** to
11stone ripped with visible abs
in 18 months, Best tenner I ever spent.
Old 26 February 2012, 09:09 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

there is a thought process of peptide bonded hormones like igf1-lr3 leading to hyperplasia

but its sceptical at best, with research in humans on such compounds unethical and mostly unecissary.
still yet to see any marketed product claiming with any evidence to catabolism in numbers of fat cells, or as a result from any form of dieting.
Old 26 February 2012, 09:13 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Jef do you really not believe that a combining with Tren/GH and T3 will burn fat ? I was actually talking to a friend today who found Tren Test and GH ripped him so much he stopped all cardio for a while. Endocrine changes will always be one of the most important factors in making significant changes to the body shape your genetics want you to have.
Old 26 February 2012, 09:23 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jef
there is a thought process of peptide bonded hormones like igf1-lr3 leading to hyperplasia

but its sceptical at best, with research in humans on such compounds unethical and mostly unecissary.
still yet to see any marketed product claiming with any evidence to catabolism in numbers of fat cells, or as a result from any form of dieting.
If you want a kind of answer to that look up Phosphatidylcholine injections I don't know alot about them other than many poeple claiming it works.
Old 26 February 2012, 09:31 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

Jef do you really not believe that a combining with Tren/GH and T3 will burn fat ? I was actually talking to a friend today who found Tren Test and GH ripped him so much he stopped all cardio for a while. Endocrine changes will always be one of the most important factors in making significant changes to the body shape your genetics want you to have.
possibly getting sidetracked abit here lol

yes i agree a combination CAN reslut in b/f reduction but 1million% sure its not down to cell destruction, but like you say a reduction in cell size.

ask any top nutrition/endo coach for athletes and im sure theyll agree. i coach a few atheltes and never ever is burning fat put down to drug use. there are aids, yes. but stand alone alone for the vast majority, drugs will only equal results pending nutrition underatanding and manipulation.

its really only your emphasis on fat cell loss coming from drug use i disagree with mate.
Old 26 February 2012, 09:36 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

If you want a kind of answer to that look up Phosphatidylcholine injections I don't know alot about them other than many poeple claiming it works.
i defiantley stay away from any internet productions, there 99.99999% of the time biased towards the publishers interests. usually for income generation and to sucker those looking for a quick fix, same as things like DNP ect

Quick Reply: Can someone recommend a good weights program for begginers at the gym