Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

why is Greece so desperate to stay in the Euro?

Search this Thread

Old 21 February 2012, 10:21 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why is Greece so desperate to stay in the Euro?

As far as i can make out the Greeks would be much better off by 2020 to leave the Euro and devalue their currancy, i dont understand why the Greeks wont just vote out the Political parties that allow the these budget cuts

Also why will private companies accept such a massive loss on their Loans or is this due to pressure from Governments
Old 21 February 2012, 10:41 PM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I think the problem is that if they devalue their currency they wont be able to afford to grow. When they changed from Drachma to Euro the currency was devalued by 14% overnight.
I really feel for the people of Greece, this mess is not of their own making.

The real problem seems to be that the figures were manipulated to get in.
Old 21 February 2012, 11:01 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

As far as i can make out we are lending Greece another 130 Billon despite knowing the current loans are losing 70% isnt this criminal behaviour by the commercial companies as they have a legal requirement to act in the best interest of the company not supporting the political agenda of federal europe so should refuse to write off the debts?
Old 21 February 2012, 11:48 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Beastie
I really feel for the people of Greece, this mess is not of their own making.
.. apart from the fact their middle and upper classes would be runaway Olympic champions if tax-evasion was a competing sport, the lowliest of their public employees have benefit and retirement packages that would make our best paid bank directors blush, and some 300 occupations considered pretty darned ordinary by most people (such as hairdressing) qualify as "physically arduous" for the purposes of early retirement on 3/4 of full pay at 56, etc, etc, no, none of this mess is of their own making
Old 22 February 2012, 05:59 AM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

I think the euro zone countries are desperate to keep Greece in as well, if Greece did leave the euro it would set a precident for other struggling countries to do the same thing, which would in turn cause others to lose confidence in the currency.
Old 22 February 2012, 10:05 AM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by markjmd
.. apart from the fact their middle and upper classes would be runaway Olympic champions if tax-evasion was a competing sport, the lowliest of their public employees have benefit and retirement packages that would make our best paid bank directors blush, and some 300 occupations considered pretty darned ordinary by most people (such as hairdressing) qualify as "physically arduous" for the purposes of early retirement on 3/4 of full pay at 56, etc, etc, no, none of this mess is of their own making
+1

Other professions like doctors pay no tax at all. However worthy and occupation , it is also a highly paid one. :cuckoo

Other examples - in Greece part of your annual tax assessment is based on the assets you own e.g. if you can afford a swimming pool you pay something for it- in theory. Circa 5% of those with pools checked via satellite photos actually admit to the pool and pay tax on it.

A wealthy suburb of Athens (likened to say Notting Hill in London by a friend of mine who is there once a month helping to try and organise some of the governmental financial stuff) with 18,000 households paid an aggregate of 80,000 euros in tax for the year a year or two ago - that gives you a feel for how much they've dug their own hole.
Old 22 February 2012, 11:25 AM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Greece really should leave the Euro only the EU banks benefit by keeping them in. The Greek people of course have no say in the matter. The fear is that any Greek currency would be worthless on international markets but on the other hand that could help them to increase tourism and fund exports. The big fear for our European bosses is that the Greeks follow Icelands lead, default and then build a sucessfull debt free economy which proves to the the rest of Europe that Spain Italy and Portugal would all be better off to default and leave.
The very Idea of a democratic Europe where a nations citizens actually have a say in what happens has become a pipe dream. Now the big banks are in charge of all of us.
Old 22 February 2012, 11:57 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I believe a few Latin American countries defaulted but recovered reasonably quickly, much quicker than predictions for Greece's recovery. But all I hear about Greece is that it will take a generation to unravel and modernise the traditional rules and regulations which are like a straight jacket on growth.

I wouldn't think there is a cat in hell's chance of Greece meeting its obligations which will mean a third bail-out or exit from Euro.

dl
Old 22 February 2012, 12:08 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by David Lock
I believe a few Latin American countries defaulted but recovered reasonably quickly, much quicker than predictions for Greece's recovery. But all I hear about Greece is that it will take a generation to unravel and modernise the traditional rules and regulations which are like a straight jacket on growth.

I wouldn't think there is a cat in hell's chance of Greece meeting its obligations which will mean a third bail-out or exit from Euro.

dl
You're no doubt right on both points, but the first... well we all know what that's about. Certain people don't want Greece either to leave the Euro, for some to have to accept defeat, or to lose out when they default. I don't think a rational, fair choice even gets a look in.
Old 22 February 2012, 12:49 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

On the other hand, it is good to see the Greeks finally getting the reparations due to them from the Germans
Old 22 February 2012, 01:09 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

And from everyone else too!

Les
Old 22 February 2012, 01:19 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamescsti
I think the euro zone countries are desperate to keep Greece in as well, if Greece did leave the euro it would set a precident for other struggling countries to do the same thing, which would in turn cause others to lose confidence in the currency.
And this would, in turn, have a detrimental effect on the value of the Euro as a currency.

At the moment it is artificially high, which helps enormously with the value of exports of which country?

Yep, our old friends the Germans.

And guess which banks have lots of Greek debt? The Germans and the French....
Old 22 February 2012, 08:47 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

The bureaucratic idolistic policiticians dreamt up the euro and now cannot let it die, they will do anything to keep it alive including fooking up a poor small country for a generation. Greece will default as Fitch and sp have basically announced it is in default now. When Greece falls it will slowly start the ball rolling.
Old 22 February 2012, 09:11 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

It's throwing good money after bad only to prolong the inevitable, what's the point!!
Old 22 February 2012, 10:23 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

so we all agree the population of Greece will be worse off by staying the Euro rather than defaulting
Old 22 February 2012, 11:41 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Luan Pra bang
Greece really should leave the Euro only the EU banks benefit by keeping them in. The Greek people of course have no say in the matter. The fear is that any Greek currency would be worthless on international markets but on the other hand that could help them to increase tourism and fund exports. The big fear for our European bosses is that the Greeks follow Icelands lead, default and then build a sucessfull debt free economy which proves to the the rest of Europe that Spain Italy and Portugal would all be better off to default and leave.
The very Idea of a democratic Europe where a nations citizens actually have a say in what happens has become a pipe dream. Now the big banks are in charge of all of us.
Huh? I thought you were making some sense there until I read the last sentence. When you say Big Banks do you mean the CEOs, CFOs, managing boards in general, supervisory boards and/or shareholders. I would like really to know what your imaginary bogey man looks like!

I always wondered why our political masters were so keen on a bigger Europe and finally the most simple answer is probably the right one.

If we assume that politicians are only interested in themselves a d filling their pockets both now and in future, then the fact that the EU is the biggest player in town when it comes to well-paid positions for played-out national politicians is the reason why ensuring the survival of the EU trumps national interests for the political elite.
Old 23 February 2012, 12:19 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock

dl
Yep that is a fair point, but the affair is framed with this narrative that 'default' will lead to some disorderly doomsday cascading default across the euro-zone.

A more cynical person might think that the interests who own all the debt have disproportionate political power/influence, which means they will never have to take the necessary haircut for the system to move again.

And so the Greeks will be chained to a kind of impoverished debt-servitude for a generation.

The only winners are the debt holders who become a kind of economic elite, everyone toils in the fields whilst they sup wine in their villas so to speak.

Last edited by tony de wonderful; 23 February 2012 at 12:20 AM.
Old 23 February 2012, 01:02 AM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Greece is just the tip of the wedge. This is a graph of what everyone owes.When we move onto Italian debt it will be interesting to see what impact that will have.

Last edited by Beastie; 23 February 2012 at 01:04 AM.
Old 23 February 2012, 08:51 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Ummm. I think you mean that the Germans NEED a low Euro to make their exports more attractive ..... which is what has happened for the past few years. It's only recently that the gloss has come off the German economy.

Dave
That would be true if their export economy wasn't so rich.

€1 trillion positive last year, no?
Old 23 February 2012, 09:40 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Beastie
Greece is just the tip of the wedge. This is a graph of what everyone owes.When we move onto Italian debt it will be interesting to see what impact that will have.

Italy has massive industry though. Makes a very big difference to their relative debt and their ability to pay it off.