Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anybody got timber double glazing?

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2012, 12:02 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anybody got timber double glazing?

Need to sort my windows out this year having put it off for ages. It's a period house with the original single glazed windows.

The back is already double glazed in upvc but would really like to retain the original look for the front and sides.

Lots of people say the timber units don't last long and warp etc. On the other hand the original windows have been there for over 100 years and only some are rotten.

If maintained properly is there any reason why timber double glazed units should give me any extra headache as compared to upvc?

Thanks
Old 07 February 2012, 12:09 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. We live in a 1920 house that has always had wooden windows. A couple of years ago we needed to replace pretty much all the windows as they had either become rotten or otherwise were in a poor state of repair. Although uPVC would have been cheaper and required less maintenance, we went for double glazed timber windows again purely for the look of them. You can't really expect an old house to look good with plastic windows. Of course, they do take more looking after and I'll need to paint all ours this year, but overall they suit the house so much better, and they feel much more solid. I've certainly not had any issues with warping (so far).
Old 07 February 2012, 04:35 PM
Pjamie
Scooby Regular

We have wooden double glazed windows. Got them from a local manufacturer since every one was a slightly different size and they had to be 8-pane windows. If they will paint them during manufacture that's by far the best way. The ones we changed at the same time were all pre-painted (about 7 years ago) and have never needed re-painting in all that time and are still in perfect condition. The one window we bought later - same hardwood window, same company - wasn't painted and needs repainted every 2-3 years.

Getting them made locally also allowed us to specify the glass so the double-glazed units are made up of 2 panes of 7.5mm anti-bandit glass.
Old 07 February 2012, 04:45 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Totally down to the wood and coating quality IMO

Unfortunately my house is timber framed doube glazing with factory painted window units. They seal nice. BUT they are now almost 20 years old and they are pretty much FUBAR'd. It was past its best about eight years ago, and have had to be repainted every 2 to 3 years since, and now needs doing again. TBH it all needs binning and replacing with uPVC. But I'm at a cross roads as to if I should sell up and get rid of the place.

I'm all for low maintanence...last exterior painting bill was over £600.

Last edited by ALi-B; 07 February 2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old 07 February 2012, 04:54 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Timber frame double glazing will blow the seals on the glass units as they twist with age. Plus the cost of repainting every couple of years, then splicing new wood into replace rotten sections.

BUY UPVC

Last edited by andy97; 07 February 2012 at 05:03 PM.
Old 07 February 2012, 04:56 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

mine are all hand made african mahogany and are about 20years old . they where varnished in some special varnish from new, and the only ones that are showing any wear are the dining room and lounge bay window.(south facing) which will require revarnishing this year.looked after they last longer that the plastic crap . make sure the hinges and locks are quality and you wont replace in your lifetime

Trending Topics

Old 07 February 2012, 04:59 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys.

Ali, when you say the windows are buggered what has actually happened to them ie rotted, warped etc?

Interesting comments on the seals becoming blown on wooden units. Somebody told me they fail on upvc.units in about the same time.

Thanks

Last edited by Dingdongler; 07 February 2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old 07 February 2012, 05:13 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
Thanks guys.

Ali, when you say the windows are buggered what has actually happened to them ie rotted, warped etc?

Thanks again
Paint started pealing and beads started rotting.

Obviously repainted and beads replaced and resealed, but from that point onwards the paint on the rear windows (south facing - full sun) needs doing every 2-3 years with good quality paints. Front I probably could get 4 years out of.

Now the joints on some of the rear frames have started to rot, As the timber expands/contracts with the weather it opens up the joints and allows water ingress (and I've been too slow to catch it in time with the frame sealer ).

The quaity of the timber maybe an issue here, I don't know what wood it is or what treatment it had before being made into a window (pressure treating etc.), but it couldn't be that bad as they have never warped.

Also had sealing issues after painting where painters had painted over the seals Easily fixed, but another inconvenience non the less.

Maybe the factory coatings are better these days. I hope so.

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Depends on the wood and quality of manufacture, as mentioned above. As for the 'repainting every couple of years' did you not read my post? Not painted in 9 years and still going strong ....

Dave

Dave: mine were factory coated and needed painting and repairs after 11 years, then every 2 to 3 years thereafter

Last edited by ALi-B; 07 February 2012 at 05:20 PM.
Old 07 February 2012, 07:55 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys.

Ali are all the issues you've had with the windows due to a lack of maintenance which if done sooner would have prevented them?

I'm awful at getting around to these things but think it might be a worthwhile headache to retain the period look.

So I'm happy to pay the increased cost of timber windows and the cost of maintenance if it means they will last as long as upvc.

I have read that upvc units also have a finite life and the seals adventually fail.

Thanks for your help
Old 07 February 2012, 08:35 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

When I was an apprentice a customer had some hardwood windows made with double glazed units installed.

These were factory finished - very unusual for the time - 25 years ago...

That customer is still one of mine, and I still paint those same windows every 4 years.

That's the key to it Ding.
Quality wood, preferably hardwood, factory finished with a Sikkens product and then reprinted every 4 years at most ( maybe an interim touch up on south facings).

It'll cost at the outset, but will more than pay for itself in years to come.

My windows at home are timber double glazed, but are softwood.
Been in 8 years and I've painted them once so far ( typical of a tradesman!), however, I use what I feel is the best exterior paint and it lasts.
Zero rot anywhere, they'll get painted again this year and I expect them to last at least another 10-15 years.

The problem with most people is that they see a bit of paint peeling and think it'll be ok till ' next year'....
Old 07 February 2012, 09:02 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Thanks Dave, hadn't considered wood clad aluminium and will look into it.

Zip thanks. I'm happy to be vigilant about maintenance. According to your post if I do this timber dg should last as long as upvc?

Now the issue will be to find a company that produce high quality items and fit them properly!
Old 07 February 2012, 09:19 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Good quality timber will outlast UPVC
And it will always look infinitely better.

I still do renovations on 50,60,70 year old houses with the original timber windows that have been looked after from day one.

Last year I lime washed the exterior of a 16th century house that still had 90% of its original windows still intact - so old that the window glass had slumped to the bottom of each pane of those years.

The worst windows are manufactured ones - those whacked together on a production line like John Carr ones.

Find yourself a cabinet maker who'll make you some windows - you'll pay through the nose for them but they'll be the best you can get.

There's an absolute brilliant company in Notts that make them, but I guess that's too far away for you ( or them).
Old 07 February 2012, 09:35 PM
DEATHLYREAPER
Scooby Regular

Hardwood will last a preserve your sealed units for longer & will also last a lifetime if looked after, i sell around 250 upvc windows a week. then main decision is your budget timber composite (ali out wood in)is a architects wet dream but is top end price, good quality hardwood will cost you 3x upvc but worth the money
Old 08 February 2012, 09:10 AM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zip106
Good quality timber will outlast UPVC
And it will always look infinitely better.

I still do renovations on 50,60,70 year old houses with the original timber windows that have been looked after from day one.

Last year I lime washed the exterior of a 16th century house that still had 90% of its original windows still intact - so old that the window glass had slumped to the bottom of each pane of those years.

The worst windows are manufactured ones - those whacked together on a production line like John Carr ones.

Find yourself a cabinet maker who'll make you some windows - you'll pay through the nose for them but they'll be the best you can get.

There's an absolute brilliant company in Notts that make them, but I guess that's too far away for you ( or them).

What he said^^^

Our front bay window is the original single-glazed timber frame and over 100 years old. I hate UPVC with a passion. Horrible, and ruin the look of a period house.
Old 08 February 2012, 09:43 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Thanks. Timber it is then.

Just out of interest what do people think of Everest, Anglian etc? Probably wouldn't suit me as I want some of the windows to be triple glazed with my original stained glass and they don't do that.

Thanks
Old 08 February 2012, 12:14 PM
DEATHLYREAPER
Scooby Regular

both will charge you to much, using existing Staines are not recommended as they will not guarantee the seal. where are you based
Old 04 April 2012, 09:00 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

The time to make a decision on this is getting nearer.

I've found this company who have been aroound for about 50 odd years (family run)

http://www.stainedglasslondon.com/

He has been around to have a look. On some windows he has adviced to keep the original casements and then rout them to take double glazing.

On the majority he has adviced 'future units'. His company holds the patent for these. Basically new casements are made from wood (to match existing). Then the original stained glass is taken apart and stuck to a plane of glass with new leading.

Then somehow two further panes of glass are added to form a double glazed unit. This is different to 'encapsulation' where the original stained glass is just sandwiched between the new glass.

I'd welcome any comments.

Btw, I do not want UPVC so that is NOT an option, it would ruin my house and devalue it.
Old 04 April 2012, 09:14 AM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

The time to make a decision on this is getting nearer.

I've found this company who have been aroound for about 50 odd years (family run)

http://www.stainedglasslondon.com/

He has been around to have a look. On some windows he has adviced to keep the original casements and then rout them to take double glazing.

On the majority he has adviced 'future units'. His company holds the patent for these. Basically new casements are made from wood (to match existing). Then the original stained glass is taken apart and stuck to a plane of glass with new leading.

Then somehow two further panes of glass are added to form a double glazed unit. This is different to 'encapsulation' where the original stained glass is just sandwiched between the new glass.

I'd welcome any comments.

Btw, I do not want UPVC so that is NOT an option, it would ruin my house and devalue it.

Did you want my brother-in-law's number again? No worries if you'd prefer to use someone else.
Old 04 April 2012, 09:40 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Hiya.

Thanks for your previous pm OS. This company is closer to me and they have also done work for some other people on my road.

So on balance I'd like to go with them. Sorry about that, thanks for trying to help though
Old 04 April 2012, 11:52 AM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

You're welcome hun, no probs!

Just means his family won't be able to have joined-up meat for a while........

Old 04 April 2012, 02:29 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by oldsplice
You're welcome hun, no probs!

Just means his family won't be able to have joined-up meat for a while........

Joined up meat? I've never heard that phrase before
Old 04 April 2012, 02:50 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

Joined up meat? I've never heard that phrase before
Old 04 April 2012, 04:16 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Many of my customers have had the original stained/leaded glass sandwiched into DG units - no problems from what I've seen.
Old 05 April 2012, 11:37 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Thanks Zip