Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Asthma and chest infections

Search this Thread

Old 25 January 2012, 10:44 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Asthma and chest infections

Hi guys, I assume others on here suffer from asthma. For those that do, do you find when you get a cold/cough it goes straight to your chest and you end up with a chest infection? I've been quite good as this is the first in about 18 months but this time there's not stuffy head or cold like symptoms, I literally got a cough yesterday, went to docs this AM and it's gone straight into a chest infection

Any home remedies or tricks to make it pass? I'm on anti biotics.

SN massive ?

Andy

Last edited by chocolate_o_brian; 25 January 2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old 25 January 2012, 11:03 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Honey Lemon Ginger (chopped not powder) Turmeric Garlic (chopped not powdered) and Cumin in hot water.

Tastes vile but does speed up the recovery process, my wife is asthmatic and suffers the same issues you describe, always goes to her chest and she swears by her concoction, although my suggestions of alternative therapies have been rejected

I've had it a couple of times when I've had a cold and it seemed to do the job.

I'd strongly suggest letting it cool down and then necking it in one and you have to eat the garlic and ginger !
Old 25 January 2012, 11:06 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Funkii Munkii
Honey Lemon Ginger (chopped not powder) Turmeric Garlic (chopped not powdered) and Cumin in hot water.

Tastes vile but does speed up the recovery process, my wife is asthmatic and suffers the same issues you describe, always goes to her chest and she swears by her concoction, although my suggestions of alternative therapies have been rejected

I've had it a couple of times when I've had a cold and it seemed to do the job.

I'd strongly suggest letting it cool down and then necking it in one and you have to eat the garlic and ginger !
Thanks, I'll try that when her indoors comes home. She hides everything in cupboards you see and can be nursey today
Old 25 January 2012, 12:45 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Sorry, Andy, but: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/asthma-diet/AN01998
Old 25 January 2012, 12:53 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar

I'm screwed.
Old 25 January 2012, 12:58 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I am lucky enough not to have that problem COB, but if you do I reckon it is important to get it sorted quickly. That sort of thing can turn nasty.

Les
Old 25 January 2012, 01:08 PM
Fleetster
Scooby Regular

TCP sore throat lozengers! only 99p from Home Bargain's
As soon as i think im getting an infection i bang in a few of these a day and it doesnt materialize been doing this now for about 2 years now
Old 25 January 2012, 02:55 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Yup

Every time I get a cold I ended up going straight to the chest and as breathless as a wheezing old fart with a 200 a day smoking habit. Inhalers did diddly squat to help.

Now, I don't recommend you try this, but I did something very naughty. Realising the inhalers weren't working when I needed them most and GP being as useless as ever (i.e never referring me and fobbing me off from having any proper full allergy testing despite a number of requests in both child and adulthood), I stopped taking them.

Now knowing I haven't had any real attack since my early teens and having an attack without inhalers (left them at home), I know half the issue is not panicking, controlled breathing and getting out of the environment that is the causing irritation ASAP. So when I was better, I just thought f**k it and stopped taking them - just to see what happens.

Guess what....because they no longer masked and prevented my immune system from responding, I found out some of the things I was allergic too (basically eggs, some sort of tree pollen and filthy houses, amongst other things)! Not only that, I stopped getting colds!!! I used to get them 4-5 times a year. Now I get it once a year at worst, and when I do its not the 2weeks of sneezing, runny nose, blocked sinuses, phlegm-fest followed by another two weeks of coughing and breathless wheezing. Now it one week for the head cold and then one week of a coughing and wheezing afterwards and not as bad as before.

To me it suggest that throughout the majority of my life taking various inhalers (Intal, Bricanyl, Pulmicort, Seretide, Ventolin etc) was depressing my immune system making me more prone and lengthening the suffering of the common cold and cough. To me I've come to the conclusion that the benefit they gave wasn't worthwhile for the suffering they seemed to cause...I found I was better off avoiding the asthma triggers instead of relying on the inhalers all the time. Of course the GP doesn't approve, but his concern is more focused on getting me out out the door so he can fob off his next patient.

Now of course, I don't condone this to anyone....but I think it is worth mentioning and is food for thought. Its your body so you work out what's right for it, as how yours reacts and the dependancy on the drugs maybe higher.

Last edited by ALi-B; 25 January 2012 at 03:13 PM.
Old 25 January 2012, 04:02 PM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

I have asthma. During the winter I find I struggle to breath in certain conditions. I rarely get chest infections though. In fact I can't remember the last time I had one.