Idea

Search this Thread

Old 23 January 2012, 01:15 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Red face Idea

Just seen the bishop on the box protesting the proposed welfare cuts

- if he doesnt like it why doesnt he step forward into the breach with 'his' own money - the church isnt short after all , if not, keep his sanctimonious little snout out of it
Old 23 January 2012, 01:37 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

yeah - just heard this too! - they have a backlash about benefits being cut to *just* £26,000 per year.... FFS!!

Bet thats more than 50% of the population fecking EARN!
Old 23 January 2012, 01:41 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Coincidentally, and somewhat ironically, £26,xxx is apparently the national average salary, too!

The system is ****ed.
Old 23 January 2012, 01:55 PM
coupe_20vt
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The £26K is NET.

For someone who's working to take home £26K net, they'd have to be around £35k pa
Old 23 January 2012, 02:01 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

That makes the 26k benefits cap EVEN more of pisstake! - let alone what it is at the moment!!!

Last edited by joz8968; 23 January 2012 at 02:06 PM.
Old 23 January 2012, 02:15 PM
specialx
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"I have a dream"

"6 months and still not found a job?..... Dole stops!"

Hey I can dream!
Old 23 January 2012, 02:18 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

25k in working tax credits and cannot even speak English and now looks like she could claim an additional 20k in housing benefit - https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...-migrants.html how can this be sustainable or even fair, it certainly is not right.

Last edited by The Zohan; 23 January 2012 at 02:20 PM.
Old 23 January 2012, 02:20 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Yeah, saw that ^^^ the other day. FFS.
Old 23 January 2012, 02:38 PM
New_scooby_04

Who was it that said that the worst thing you can do within a society is dissassoicate effort from reward? I fear that's exactly what's going on!
Old 23 January 2012, 03:07 PM
Scoober-Dubs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Who was it that said that the worst thing you can do within a society is dissassoicate effort from reward? I fear that's exactly what's going on!
I'm surprised that it's taken them so long to work out that a lot of the people living off these benefits don't have the life, or employment skills to earn the amount they are receiving in benefits, if they were forced to go out to work.

So effectively kids are being rewarded for going to school and doing **** all, and then leaving school and doing **** all, having kids that they can't afford to keep. They in turn teach these kids that they too can go to school and do **** all, and then leave school and do **** all, get paid for it and receive a better income than if they went out to work!!

I have seen people on benefits buying cars on finance and getting loans for holidays and flat screen TVs (albeit they are borrowing from subprime lenders)... nevertheless, if you're on benefits you shouldn't have the spare cash to take out these financial commitments, these benefits are designed to get you back on your feet if you 'temporarily' fall on hard times as the result of you losing your job. It shouldn't be a way of life.

However, I do agree that people with genuine disabilites that prevent them from working need to be protected, and benefits associated, or allocated to disabled children should remain but be means tested. A working parent earning £18K a year gross or a loan parent who cannot work because of the severity of their childs disability is more likely to need genuine financial assistance compared to a household where there are 2 working parents with a combined income of say £150K.
Old 23 January 2012, 03:25 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

I love stuff like this, a big issue seller gets £100 pound a week for 20 hours of work. ON top she gets £491 in benefits and is now entitled to housing benefit of £50 per week, so far she has £641 per week. Now after tax she has a net earings of over 33k per year ,pro rata that for a 40 hour week and she has a net income of 66k meaning gross pay of over 100k per year.
Now bear in mind the £50 a week housing benefit could in theory go up to 20k per year as she has 4 kids that means her yearly figure goes up to 50k NET income for 20hours of work a week. Now either the figures quoted by the sun are wrong or I am going to kick the mrs out and make her become a big issue seller.
Old 23 January 2012, 08:24 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politic...314#TWEET66522
Old 23 January 2012, 09:25 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Winds me up so much. I work in a roll where I have to go to job centre plus and today I heard someone saying oh if they cut my benifits blah blah blah... HOW THE **** can someone doing NOTHING earn more then me when I work!!!!

I hope they give them less then the minimum wage (£17K ??) I don't care if their children go with out. Maybe they should get jobs.. ****ing bums!
Old 23 January 2012, 09:51 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ffs the house of lords is full of scroungers turning up for their £300 a day tax free allowance then buggaring off home. Nice to see them showing solidarity .
Old 24 January 2012, 07:36 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Without making this a party political broadcast thank god somebody is trying to sort the Welfare system out. IDS failed as a leader but seems to have really found his place here.

It still doesn't go far enough imho, and the devil will be in the detail of the final act. However if, and its a big if, the Tories manage to reform welfare to a significant extent it will be a historical moment. It will be as monumental as what Thatcher did with the unions and privatisation.

At last somebody will have done something to reestablish a link between rights and responsibilities. Until now it seems have been all about empowering people with rights but no responsibilities.
Old 24 January 2012, 07:47 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
Without making this a party political broadcast thank god somebody is trying to sort the Welfare system out. IDS failed as a leader but seems to have really found his place here.

It still doesn't go far enough imho, and the devil will be in the detail of the final act. However if, and its a big if, the Tories manage to reform welfare to a significant extent it will be a historical moment. It will be as monumental as what Thatcher did with the unions and privatisation.

At last somebody will have done something to reestablish a link between rights and responsibilities. Until now it seems have been all about empowering people with rights but no responsibilities.
Agreed!
Old 24 January 2012, 10:51 AM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

First off - I agree with this small policy change (before anyone starts having a go at me)

This I fear is a great Daily Mail headline grab, but pretty thin in terms of efficacy.

This policy will 'save' a total of £290M out of a welfare budget of £55Bn, and affects 67,000 people, so whilst it's a lot of money it's barely a scratch on spending.

Lots of contributors on this thread have commented on how unfair it is that someone can get so much in benefits compared to those in lower paid jobs (and that is true of course), however the reality is that those in lower (and average) paid jobs recieve thousand of pounds in benefits too. So it is just plain wrong to compare the employed and the unemployed's circumstances without using all the facts.

Finally a lot of these benefits are related to housing, I think about 50% of the affected families will be within London where house prices make the issue more acute for us and them.

This is tough nasty stuff that needs doing, but don't kid yourselves that this is some sort of victory for 'the working man'

Last edited by Martin2005; 24 January 2012 at 10:54 AM.
Old 24 January 2012, 06:33 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
Lots of contributors on this thread have commented on how unfair it is that someone can get so much in benefits compared to those in lower paid jobs (and that is true of course), however the reality is that those in lower (and average) paid jobs recieve thousand of pounds in benefits too. '
Sorry but bollocks, many in lower paid jobs with any decency claim **** all in terms of working tax credits and the likes and the fact remains that if I was to kick my family out in the street and let them claim benefit we would be much better off. I never even claimed child benefit until my son was three years old as I don't believe in people claiming for what they don't need. Now I am starting to think that I should just take advantage of every fiddle there is like every other ****er does.
Old 24 January 2012, 07:41 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luan Pra bang
Sorry but bollocks, many in lower paid jobs with any decency claim **** all in terms of working tax credits and the likes and the fact remains that if I was to kick my family out in the street and let them claim benefit we would be much better off. I never even claimed child benefit until my son was three years old as I don't believe in people claiming for what they don't need. Now I am starting to think that I should just take advantage of every fiddle there is like every other ****er does.
Agreed - My mum who is now in her 90's lives in sheltered accommodation, she is on a small pension and just about gets by. The property has the heat and water included and she does not pay for this as such. She receives a winter fuel allowance of several hundred pounds from the government as most of not all pensioners do which she tried to give back but gave up due to bureaucracy. She gives it to a charity (help the aged) as she feels she neither needs or wants it or should be entitled to it as her heating is already paid. I am sure she is not alone and a lot of people from her generation who grew without having their hand out and expecting everything on a plate. I am not just saying it is the old folks either and i feel we have a problem with now generations of people who do not work and do not wasn't to work know how to play the system and get by - in some cases quite comfortably and it does make you wonder "why bother working hard" well in some cases i think it is because you where brought up to work and to contribute, not sit there doing **** all with your hand out.
Old 24 January 2012, 07:51 PM
Blue and Gold
Scooby Regular

Right I have an idea to get myself a nice payrise over my crap paid job

1) knock the mrs up 4 times
2) quit my job and go on benefits
3) buy her a people carrier to transport kids in
4) buy myself a gtr with the astronomical amounts of benefits and housing benefits I'll be getting

All this crap irritates me because the people claiming these stupid amounts of cash aren't (in most cases) looking for work at all and are just out for an easy ride. Instead of working for the things they want (like myself and most of the country) they should just be ****ing shot and done with as it would probably solve a quarter of the countries debt
Old 24 January 2012, 08:43 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luan Pra bang
How does what you posted make the facts 'bollox'??

I already said I agreed with the gov. on this, I just injected some balance into a typically lop-sided debate
Old 24 January 2012, 08:51 PM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by Martin2005
Lots of contributors on this thread have commented on how unfair it is that someone can get so much in benefits compared to those in lower paid jobs (and that is true of course), however the reality is that those in lower (and average) paid jobs recieve thousand of pounds in benefits too. So it is just plain wrong to compare the employed and the unemployed's circumstances without using all the facts.
Is that right???

My partner and I earn (combined) little over what these people on benefits would get if the cap went ahead, and we don't claim one penny in benefits. So far as I'm aware, we wouldn't be entitled to any benefits anyway, which is the case for many low paid workers.

Unless those people have children, the reality is that there is little to no help out there for low/average earners.
Old 24 January 2012, 08:56 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lisawrx
Is that right???

My partner and I earn (combined) little over what these people on benefits would get if the cap went ahead, and we don't claim one penny in benefits. So far as I'm aware, we wouldn't be entitled to any benefits anyway, which is the case for many low paid workers.

Unless those people have children, the reality is that there is little to no help out there for low/average earners.
Well, get your finger out of your @rse and get some benefits claimed. If you earn so little you must be due them.
Old 24 January 2012, 09:02 PM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by Myles
Well, get your finger out of your @rse and get some benefits claimed. If you earn so little you must be due them.
Not as a childless couple, we're not.
Old 24 January 2012, 09:21 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lisawrx
Not as a childless couple, we're not.
Sorry, my mistake. There is a big hole in the benefits system where childless, working couples are concerned.
Old 24 January 2012, 09:26 PM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

Agree with above tax credits are usually awarded to people with children so someone who doesn't understand contraception can have 4 or 5 kids and be much better off than someone else who maybe on a higher paid job but decides to just have a family they can afford. But not an easy thing for any government to sort out.
Old 24 January 2012, 09:29 PM
scoobywrxwagon
Scooby Regular

I have to agree in most parts with what most people have said. One thing that grinds me is that people on benefits can afford to have 3/4/5+ kids becuase the more kids they have the more benefits they get i.e child tax goes up,child benefit up and it also means they can then claim more LHA (local housing allowance) due to the house not been big enough to house the million kids they have shelled out to get more bens. But your working family cant afford to have this many children due to cost.

As someone said the problem with the current system is that we now have (career claimants) that do all they can to claim every last penny from the system, reading medical journals so they can claim ESA (employment support allowance) the old incapacity benefit so they dont have to sign on meaning they dont have to go and sign on every 2 weeks or look for a job as they are too "sick" to work. This is then passed on to other family members and people with in communities so they can also fck the system.

Putting a £26k cap on the benefits will effect most people living down south where rents for private properties are so high due to the current LHA rates paid. In all if you lower the the benefits the landlords will have to lower the rents because people that can afford the rents they charge are generally working and would buy rather than rent, so rents will have to go down so the scroungers can afford to live in them and so the landlords can pay there mortgages. The problem lays where landlords have bought properties expecting a curtain level of LHA to pay the mortgage and if they then lower the benefits to a point where the landlord cant pay his "buy to let" mortgage they loose the house to the bank this could make that person/family homeless. If mortgages arent paid that then causes issues with the banks and the problem starts again with the banks and the goverment having to lend them the money they have saved lowering in benenfits.

Im sure you can tell it really grinds me but it needs more then just the benefits to be lowered the whole system needs to change and they way peolple look at claiming benefits. I moved out when I was 15 and am only 32 now, I have never claimed anything and have worked for everything I now have. Misses 2 kids 2 bed house and 2 cars. If you want something in life I was always told you have to work hard for it and I have and people that claim benefits that have no intention of ever working have to change their attitudes. I would introduce working for the benefits they receive giving them a work ethic and hopefully wanting to get out there and find a job that pays more than the benefits they receive.

Rant over.

p.s sorry about the bad spelling and grammer wrote this in anger lol
Old 24 January 2012, 10:31 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

It's spin.
Pure and simple.

It's been announced on the same day as the new "rules" on FatCat salaries and bonuses come in.

Does anyone else find it sickening that LEGISLATION has been used to keep benefits down, while EXHORTATION is being used to keep the bankers and their buddies in check?
Old 24 January 2012, 10:35 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

I think they should sew single mothers' fannies up.

Quick Reply: Idea