Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Changing from sky to cable

Search this Thread

Old 30 April 2002, 02:21 PM
Nikko2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

We currently have sky. But I want to change to cable.

Do you still get the same selection of channels on cable though?
i.e. movies sky sports sky one uk gold????
Old 30 April 2002, 02:22 PM
snowcrash
Scooby Regular

look at the cable companies website.

the only things they don't have (from memory) are:
.tv channels
sky sports extra / widecreen
sky premier widescreen
Sky Box Office (although they have an equivilent copy version)
Old 30 April 2002, 02:52 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

We're on Ntl digital cable and get all the ones you listed Nikko, we also get Sky premier widescreen and the Ntl version of box office called Front Row.

There isn't much we don't get that you get with Sky, not that's worth watching anyway

Sal

[Edited by scoobychick - 4/30/2002 2:52:58 PM]
Old 30 April 2002, 02:55 PM
carpet
Scooby Regular

the only thing you dont get with NTL is sky sports extra ( which is a pisser if youre into the cricket ! )

but you get all the movie channels and sky one e4 etc etc etc ....

and you dont have the problem of interference when it rains hard !!
Old 30 April 2002, 03:18 PM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

But you do get the NTL trait of the screen freezing for a couple of seconds.

Swings and roundabouts.
Old 30 April 2002, 03:25 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

The one thing you will get from NThell is a constant headache.

Firstly, the latest digi cable tv boxes only have SCART input (i think) so that means you cant watch another terrestrial channel whilst recording one.

Secondly, the customer service (hahaha) from NTL i received was apalling and i am not the only one. Be prepared to spend hours on hold.

Thirdly, you dont get all the Sky Sports extra stuff and box office, although you get Front Row which is the same thing for movies and events.

Since moving to Sky i have not had one reason to call them, except to add another channel to the package !!! Also talk to Scoobyjawa about his experience with digi cable TV and look at http://www.nthellworld.com

Dave
Old 30 April 2002, 03:34 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

If Sky did a broadband internet connection then we'd be with them, the only reason we're with Ntl is for the 512K cable modem connection IMHO and experience Sky is better, providing you've got a clear space between your dish and the satellite We've only had one problem in the 5 months we've been with Ntl which resulted in being without anything but the terrestrial channels for a week, (including the internet ). In our experience everything you hear about Ntl's customer service is true, unfortunately

Sal
Old 30 April 2002, 04:40 PM
Nikko2
Scooby Regular

Red face

We get NTl in our area.

I have heard lots of horror stories about them

I am after the broadband really I suppose might consider the BT ADSL instead.
Old 30 April 2002, 05:51 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
I'm with telewest and you don't get widescreen for the Sky Sports channels

getting Sky next.

Justin
Old 30 April 2002, 09:56 PM
andrewjlane
Scooby Regular

When we last moved, we switched from Sky to NTL as it seemed a sensible thing to do. It was hell - NTL are CRAP and I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole. You only have to look at their financial predicament to see how bad they are. The sooner they go bust, the better. As for customer service, well thats a contradiction of terms!
Old 30 April 2002, 10:22 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

This is mercilessly copied from another site, but illustrates the point:-
This is a genuine letter sent to NTL by a certain pissed off customer:

Dear Cretins,
I have been an NTL customer since 9th July 2001, when I signed up for your 3-in-one deal for cable TV, cable modem, and telephone. During this three month period I have encountered inadequacy of service which I had not previously considered possible, as well as ignorance and stupidity of monolithic proportions. Please allow me to provide specific details, so that you can either pursue your professional prerogative, and seek to rectify these difficulties - or more likely (I suspect) so that you can have some entertaining reading material as you while away the working day smoking B&H and drinking vendor-coffee on the bog in your office.

My initial installation was cancelled without warning or notice,resulting in my spending an entire Saturday sitting on my fat arsewaiting for your technician to arrive. When he did not arrive at all, I spent a further 57 minutes listening to your infuriating hold music, and the even more annoying Scottish robot woman telling me to look at your helpful website.... how? I alleviated the boredom to some small degree by playing with my ********* for a few minutes - an activity at which you are no-doubt both familiar and highly adept. The rescheduled installation then took place some two weeks later, although the technician did forget to bring a number of vital tools - such as a drill-bit, and his cerebrum. Two weeks later, my cable modem had still not arrived. After several further telephone calls (actually 15 telephone calls over 4 weeks) my modem arrived ... a total of six weeks after I had requested it, and begun to pay for it. I estimate that the downtime of your internet servers is roughly 35%... these are usually the hours between about 6pm and midnight, Monday to Friday, and most of the useful periods over the weekend. I am still waiting for my telephone connection. I have made 9 telephone calls on my mobile to your no-help line this week, and have been unhelpfully transferred to a variety of disinterested individuals, who are it seems also highly skilled bollock jugglers. I have been informed that a telephone line is available (and someone will call me back), that no telephone line is available (and someone will call me back), that I will be transferred to someone who knows whether or not a telephone line is available (and then been cut off), that I will be transferred to someone who knows whether or not a telephone line is available (and then been redirected to an answer machine informing me that your office is closed), that I will be transferred to someone who knows whether or not a telephone line is available (and then been redirected to the irritating Scottish robot woman.... and several other variations on this theme.

Doubtless you are no-longer reading this letter, as you have at least a thousand other dissatisfied customers to ignore, and also another one of those crucially important ********-moments to attend to. Frankly I don't care, it's far more satisfying as a customer to voice my frustrations in print than to shout them at your unending hold music. Forgive me, therefore, if I continue. I thought BT were ****, that they had attained the holy ****-pot of god-awful customer relations, that no-one, anywhere, ever, could be more disinterested, less helpful or more obstructive to delivering service to their customers. That's why I chose NTL, and because, well, there isn't anyone else is there? How surprised I therefore was, when I discovered to my considerable dissatisfaction and disappointment what a useless shower of *******s you truly are. You are sputum-filled pieces of distended rectum - incompetents of the highest order. British Telecom - ******* though they are - shine like brilliant beacons of success, in the filthy puss-filled mire of your seemingly limitless inadequacy.

Suffice to say that I have now given up on my futile and foolhardy quest to receive any kind of service from you. I suggest that you do likewise, and cease any potential future attempts to extort payment from me for the services which you have so pointedly and catastrophically failed to deliver - any such activity will be greeted initially with hilarity and disbelief - although these feelings will quickly be replaced by derision, and even perhaps a small measure of bemused rage. I enclose two small deposits, selected with great care from my cats litter tray, as an expression of my utter and complete contempt for both you, and your pointless company. I sincerely hope that they have not become dessicated during transit - they were satisfyingly moist at the time of posting, and I would feel considerable disappointment if you did not experience both their rich aroma and delicate texture. Consider them the very embodiment of my feelings towards NTL, and it's > > > worthless employees.

Have a nice day - may it be the last in you miserable short life, you irritatingly incompetent and infuriatingly unhelpful bunch of *****,

Yours psychotically,

Xxxx Xxxxxxx

Old 30 April 2002, 10:53 PM
HGV1 Driver
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I think NTL is excellent, i have my phoneline, my internet (broadband), my t.v. package, including all sports, and classic (for the misses) package, would NEVER go back to B.T.

Jon.

p.s. All the bills are Direct Debit, never had a problem touch wood !!!!!!!!!!
Old 30 April 2002, 10:53 PM
stephen30
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I've got ITV Digital and half my channels are being turned off tonight at midnight! Don't go down that route!

Steve
Old 30 April 2002, 11:39 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Just a note to say that although what I said above about ntl digi cable tv and their customer service is imho 101% true, i have used the broadband cable modem for 18 months now and after they sorted out the bodged install, i have not had a problem with it.

Dave