Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

TV Question - Which Is Better?

Search this Thread

Old 26 December 2011, 06:34 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Default TV Question - Which Is Better?

Planning to get a new TV tomorrow, only needs to last 2 years max (untill we get a bigger house and bigger TV to match), and have found these 2 available to collect tomorrow.... but which is best?

http://www.comet.co.uk/p/LED-TVs/buy...-LED-TV/777706

or...

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.212-6111.aspx

I know neither of them are the best out there, but with my wedding coming up and possible new(er) car i'm not wanting to spend a fortune.

Cheers
Old 26 December 2011, 06:37 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive been contemplating this or bigger, and im not a huge LED fan, (plasma owner)

i have to say this is an impressive bit of kit for the money

ooops

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/lg-42lw...91416-pdt.html

Mart

Last edited by mart360; 26 December 2011 at 07:24 PM.
Old 26 December 2011, 06:37 PM
max1342
Scooby Regular

my choice would be the first one for the extra £50 I would want the led over just the lcd
Old 26 December 2011, 06:40 PM
Moley
Sponsor

I'm not too clued up on TV's

All i know is 1080 is good, and LED is supposed to be good.

I have a Samsung LCD at the moment, and it's a good bit of kit, but want something newer and a bit bigger.
Old 26 December 2011, 07:09 PM
chrispy200+
Scooby Regular

Have to say I find plasma better than LCD and LED, if you don't have to pick it up tomorrow then amazon are doing some good deals on the Panasonic range of plasma nero hd, cracking units, looking at the 50" 3d one on there for £649
Old 26 December 2011, 07:11 PM
chrispy200+
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
Very good shout
Old 26 December 2011, 07:14 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i recommend the panny viera plasma over a lcd. amazing picture quality.
Old 26 December 2011, 07:52 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^ Sound on the later Pannys is leagues behind the samsung for a stand alone TV set up. They used to be awesome but now their thin and bassless. The samsung has far more features for adjustment.

Gary, you can't go wrong with either tbh both have advantages over the other, but I'd go have a look for yourself.

I bought this last year and it's truly awesome ! I paid £399 new and it was so good I bought another one a week later for upstairs

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-LE40...N9CX01N41Z4BXM
Old 26 December 2011, 08:07 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Cheers guys.

Going to go to the shops tomorrow and have a look at a couple, see what deals are around in the sales!
Old 26 December 2011, 08:42 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

I'm not 100% here but isn't the second tv better than the first as tv 1 is HD 'ready' and tv 2 is full HD?

Or is it to do with the pixel resolution?
Old 26 December 2011, 08:47 PM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

I would go for the LED backlit version....

I have had them all,Plasma's,LCD's etc etc.... All Panny's as well..

Went to a Samsung LED tv earlier this year... I will never go back to panny,quality just does not equal cash paid..
Old 26 December 2011, 09:04 PM
the hamster
BANNED

Originally Posted by fatscoobfella1
I will never go back to panny,quality just does not equal cash paid..
FINALLY, someone who agrees with me!

Samsung and LG are the best value for money TV's on the market
Old 26 December 2011, 09:19 PM
deepy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 53
^ Sound on the later Pannys is leagues behind the samsung for a stand alone TV set up. They used to be awesome but now their thin and bassless. The samsung has far more features for adjustment.

Gary, you can't go wrong with either tbh both have advantages over the other, but I'd go have a look for yourself.

I bought this last year and it's truly awesome ! I paid £399 new and it was so good I bought another one a week later for upstairs

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-LE40...N9CX01N41Z4BXM
I bought one too and am very impressed, newer model here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-LE40...dp_ob_title_ce
Old 27 December 2011, 10:53 AM
movi-star
Scooby Regular

The 1st one is the better of the 2 you've chosen, Samsung LED tv's have great pictures, bright and colourful.

Ive been looking at the Samsungs LED 3D tv's for a white, would love a UE46d7000.

This is a 40" Samsung 3D LED TV for £527 which is about the cheapest available from a high street shop.

http://www.dixons.co.uk/gbuk/samsung...FUJItAodBzEqnA
Old 27 December 2011, 10:59 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Recently bought the Sammy LCD for my daughter for £360 and got John Lewis to price match it with their 5 yr guarantee.

The pic on it is excellent through a Sky HD box.

Chip
Old 27 December 2011, 11:11 AM
Fulmentaljack3t
Scooby Regular

Samsung are the best, their screens are the best by far. They supply Apple with the screens for their products and Sony for their tvs.
Old 27 December 2011, 01:02 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Fulmentaljack3t
Samsung are the best, their screens are the best by far. They supply Apple with the screens for their products and Sony for their tvs.

I would disagree. Samsung have been known to user other maker's panels in THEIR OWN TVs and monitors!

Because it says Samsung on the bezel doesn't not mean it is Samsung inside...this means it cannot be compared to Apple. Samsung are just an OEM supplier based on Apples spec and criteria...Apple can quite easily switch to a different OEM manufacturer....just like Samsung do with thier own products!

So it would be unwise to buy Samsung because they make panels, or so and so uses them as an OEM supplier.

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
Planning to get a new TV tomorrow, only needs to last 2 years max (untill we get a bigger house and bigger TV to match), and have found these 2 available to collect tomorrow.... but which is best?

http://www.comet.co.uk/p/LED-TVs/buy...-LED-TV/777706

or...

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.212-6111.aspx

I know neither of them are the best out there, but with my wedding coming up and possible new(er) car i'm not wanting to spend a fortune.

Cheers

Anyhoo, back to the OP, go to a shop with them on display and have a play..adjust the settings (don't be scared to mess...you ARE a customer!) to see if you can get a picture/sound you like (as often the settings are all to pot), you'll also get to grips with the remote and assess how easy the TV is to use and adjust:

You then buy what works well, has a good remote layout (low end TVs often have horrible remote controls). Good sound (unless you use a AV system), Good menu system, fast response to commands, good consumer reviews with customer service and reliabilty and last but not least; a good picture (including picture motion/fluidity...a big LCD/LED shortcomming...the LED from Comet you list does have some motion compensation, unlike the Tesco LCD which is just a 50hz TV so will judder on panning shots, urgh ).

But back to original two choices: out of the two, Go LED backlight. It'll still be an edge-lit jobby like the LCD so still has many of the same shortcommings, but it will still be better and thinner to boot.

If you do happen to consider a Panasonic (and some other makers)...best wait to mid February...and check google shopping on the model numbers, as by then they'll start rolling out the 2012 models, so you can get a 2011 model for ALOT cheaper! (Says me with a £1400 panny...who paid under £750 for it ).

Its not where you dip your bread...its when you dip it. ...January alleged 'sales' isn't always the best time.

Last edited by ALi-B; 27 December 2011 at 01:17 PM.
Old 27 December 2011, 01:37 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Panel arguements can go on for days lol but the Samsung LCD panels originating from Slovenia were considered excellent when I bought a year ago. The origin is labelled on the TV.
Old 27 December 2011, 01:50 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Samsung and Sony both own a major share in a panel manufacturer, infact Samsung are trying to buy Sony's share. Personally I'd never touch a Sony or Samsung as I think the picture on both is extremely poor on all but the very best of HD sources...and the sound on every Samsung TV I've ever demo'd has been awful.

Last edited by Jamz3k; 27 December 2011 at 01:53 PM.
Old 27 December 2011, 02:15 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Bit out of date; but this review sums up what I mean in post #18: A Samsung TV, all the same model, but some have a CMO (Chi-Mei Optics) panel fitted, and others are fitted with AU Optronics panel, with some using a S-LCD (Sony/Samsung) panel. The one they tested has a CMO panel.

Even though its an identical model TV, the reviewer found this TV is fitted with with three panels from different manufacturers: Two of which using two different technologies (MVA and PVA, well at least its not a TN )

http://www.digitalversus.com/tv-tele...0189/test.html

OK on a £300 TV it might not be that important, but on a more expensive one it is. Also it undermines the faith in a brand or its reviews if they keep swapping parts on the same model line to parts that do give differeing performance (especialy the panel...the bit you watch!). Other manufacturers do it as well, but Samsung have been caught with their pants down on a few occasions now.

Further info on 'panel switching' here:
http://www.digitalversus.com/samsung...ga-n15168.html and here:http://www.digitalversus.com/panel-s...ar-n15170.html

Last edited by ALi-B; 27 December 2011 at 02:17 PM.
Old 27 December 2011, 02:16 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
This would be my choice.

Originally Posted by fatscoobfella1
I will never go back to panny,quality just does not equal cash paid..
What didn't you like about Panny?

We are on out 2nd Panny for the front room and they've been perfect. As for price I've bought when the the current models are just being changed so get a good deal. The 50G10 we have was bought with a free bluray recorder - didn't want the recorder so sold it on ebay which brought the TV down to below online prices (was bought from local shop) yet got the full kosher 5 year guarantee. Our first Panny was from empire direct (the one that went under) and it turned out that the 5 year guarantee was with them not Panasonic - bit miffed but never needed to use it.
Old 27 December 2011, 02:48 PM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

TBH is still have a Panny 40" LCD in the bedroom...And it wont be replaced until it goes bang..

The main Tv in the living room was the one that really finished off my "Pannylove".. I had a Philips Plasma for a while,then 2 panny plasma's over a 3 yr period..Both went faulty but with different symptoms..Luckily they were under warranty though..

So after spending nearly £5000 on tv's over 6 years or so i had a real fight with John Lewis to get another TV from them under warranty..The last panny had been in 2 repair companies that were JL certified and they couldnt find the fault(over a month away from my home)...

I finally pushed them into giving me a Samsung,although i did have to give £100 but my 5 yr warranty was renewed..

Here was the fault with my 2nd Panny,it developed over a period of months..Think it was a PZ70B IIRC..

Old 27 December 2011, 02:55 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Aha, now I remember why I took a picture of the folk's LG TV:

Sky+ box with a LG TV

I personally think its a resonance/inductance issue due to the RGB Scart picking up feedback from a earth/sheilding or composite signal wire.......not the best of pics (camera phone) but you can see the lines on the left of the menu, its alot more apparant in the flesh. Stick it through the AV input on the DVD recorder and its ten times worse!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo102.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	7367  

Last edited by ALi-B; 27 December 2011 at 03:05 PM. Reason: upload failed
Old 27 December 2011, 02:57 PM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

Some people talk b0llox. Just because someone has a problem with a particular make, doesn`t make it the worst! I`ve had my Panasonic plasma for 5 years now and it`s been faultless. My sister has a Samsung and luckily I went to her house to view it before deciding which to buy....the picture was diabolical, luckily I went for the Panny and never looked back. Next tv will be Panasonic too.....like my sound bar and my blu ray. You get what you pay for.
Old 27 December 2011, 03:16 PM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Aha, now I remember why I took a picture of the folk's LG TV:

Sky+ box with a LG TV

I personally think its a resonance/inductance issue due to the RGB Scart picking up feedback from a earth/sheilding or composite signal wire.......not the best of pics (camera phone) but you can see the lines on the left of the menu, its alot more apparant in the flesh. Stick it through the AV input on the DVD recorder and its ten times worse!
Fair enough Ali...

We thought this as well...But got the problem to some internal problem with shielding within the TV..Maybe....lol...

But no problem with Sony Bravia,Tosh Regza,The 40" Panny LCD from upstairs or the current Sammy LED..

Both TV repair companies brought "slave" TV's to make sure it wasnt a component or interconnect problem.. All my cabling in Monster BTW..

Steve.... I only speak through experience,if they had been great i would say so as well..
You cant expect me to say they how good Panny are when 66% of the products i have bought off them have gone faulty

Did you try and adjust the picture on the Sammy ??? To say any modern Sammy picture is diabolical is just stoopid..

Last edited by fatscoobfella1; 27 December 2011 at 03:17 PM.
Old 27 December 2011, 03:16 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a Panasonic Plasma and in bright sunlight I have to close the curtains......I've tried adjusting it but can't get it as "bright" as an LED.

Having said that the picture is very lifelike

Shaun
Old 27 December 2011, 03:41 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Which model do you have?

It sounds counter-intuitive, but try putting it in Photo mode and see how you get on... you might be surprised at how well it works for movies. It's certainly brighter than THX or the default Professional settings.
Old 27 December 2011, 03:44 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll have a look later.....the boy is on it ...Assassins Creed Revelations...then Skyrim.... LOL

Shaun
Old 27 December 2011, 05:28 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Does it have a light sensor? Some models have this so that the contrast/brightness automatically adapts to the room brightness. Some models call this "C.A.T.S" in the menus.

Its not as good as Philip's automatic room light correction as its a bit slow to react and it can overdrive the panel in a bright room. But its better than nothing.

Also 'eco' (or energy saving) mode will typically make the picture as dull as dishwater.
Old 27 December 2011, 05:50 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Ended up getting the LED model.

Am very impressed with the TV picture, but the built-in speakers aren't great at all, so had to get some speakers to go with it.

Picture and sound are fantastic now.

Quick Reply: TV Question - Which Is Better?