Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Cat advice please.. Two cats being introduced inew environment..

Search this Thread

Old 19 December 2011, 09:27 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cat advice please.. Two cats being introduced inew environment..

My mum and step dad are moving house soon after christmas, they are going to buy a big house and have my grandmother move in with them. The problem is they both have cats, and we were all wondering what the best way to deal with this would be.

one suggestion was to just place them in a room and let them sort it out between themselves, but I'm not too keen on this, not even sure if it was a serious suggestion.

So, can anyone that has dealt with a similar situation give me some tips to pass across, as my nan is quite elderly and has had this cat for 13 years so is obviously very worried about her.

Both cats are female, both around 13 years old and are actually sisters, but from a different litter.

Thanks
Old 19 December 2011, 09:38 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Hi cookstar,

If they are both speyed then I doubt you'll have an issue. The problem between cats usually occurs when you have different sexes or an unspeyed/unneutered cat with a speyed/neutered cat.

As they are probably both speyed females and especially from the same bloodline you will probably not have any issues.

Give them both some territory initially - food placement/bed placement/separate litter trays and slowly bring the food/litter trays together over a few weeks.

Should work out just fine.
Old 20 December 2011, 09:07 AM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

If possible, keep them in separate rooms, with their beds etc, so they have their own space to start with. Over the next few days, put them in their carriers and place them in a neutral room for a while, so they get used to each other being around, but are safe in their baskets. Let each one out in turn so they can have a prowl around, and a sniff, whilst the other is still in her carrier. Use a towel or similar and rub it all over one of them, then rub the other with it so they get used to each other's smell.

Hope they'll be ok.
Old 20 December 2011, 09:24 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Tread carefully here,Cat's are quite solitary creatures, My mother has two Marbled Bengals in the house my sister moved back in with her cat and one of the Bengals fcuked off and hasn't slept in the house since, this was four months ago.

He comes back every few days for some food and attention and to growl at the new one but leaves straight away again.
Old 20 December 2011, 11:20 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cookstar
My mum and step dad are moving house soon after christmas, they are going to buy a big house and have my grandmother move in with them. The problem is they both have cats, and we were all wondering what the best way to deal with this would be.
I have a shotgun. I can resolve your problem without much fuss.

Just PM me your details.
Old 20 December 2011, 11:21 AM
Freelance Badger
Scooby Regular

Advice above is all good. My sister recently moved her boyfriend/ 2 dogs and his cat into her house to be with her cat. Her cat is a right nutter - even the vet is scared of him !!!! He was fine with the dogs (even slept with them) - had a few fights with the cat - but now both Ok - albeit at different ends of the sofa.
Old 20 December 2011, 12:27 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

We have got a new kitten which was dumped by some fellow under our hedge.

Our first cat Fearless Freddie was not too sure at first but he has got used to the idea now and they now share the same big pillow at night and are quite friendly.

In this case both of the cats will be moving into a new house so one of them won't have had time to establish residence before the other one. This may well be helpful.

Always hard to say what will actually happen so you can only try it.

Les
Old 20 December 2011, 12:43 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

As Les said, with the house being new to both of them it will all be neutral territory. Just let them both in, separate room, and leave them to sort it out between themselves

There will be the odd exchange of blows, but they'll soon sort themselves out

We got a new kitten last year, and the heirarchy soon sorted itself out. He still occasionally goes for the odd shot at the older cat's title though, it's hilarious watching him get put back in his place
Old 20 December 2011, 03:23 PM
andys
Scooby Regular

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VLcL...3&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3JC2...2&feature=plcp
Old 20 December 2011, 05:47 PM
Andy RB5
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stilover
I have a shotgun. I can resolve your problem without much fuss.

Just PM me your details.

... De-cat (sorry couldn't resist)
Old 20 December 2011, 06:15 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

You need a big selection of hammers
Old 20 December 2011, 06:33 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Thanks for (most of) your suggestions, I'll pass them on.
Old 20 December 2011, 07:32 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

A bit late, but I will add my two pences.

My two cats never got on, and they never will. But they have to live under the same roof as they have no choice. Younger one is the biggest and the fattest cat going in the colony, but he gets badly hissed by our older and thin cat, and starts to act like a drowned rat. He does chase the older one about sometimes, just to wind her up. But in all, one wind-up chase a day on the average is manageable. You just have to shout: "OYE! STOP IT, YOU IDIOTS!", and they calm down. The younger one never fights, he just wants to be friends with the older one. But she just goes nuts! No bloodshed etc, so all good. Your mums' and gran's cats should be able to live under the same roof somehow. I wouldn't put them in the same room with any or all good intentions. Let them develop their own intentions as cats are far too independent to be pressurised. They are both ancient, same age, they come from the same mum, so they should be all right living under the same roof, even if they refuse to gel. Tell their owners (or, should I say slaves!) to continue to feed them, and love them as always. None of them should do one if they are being attended with the equality of love. in our case, the little one took shelter under my wings, and my daughter ensured the psychological well-being of the older one by letting the cat sleep on her bed. Tell your mum and nan not to worry too much.

Last edited by Turbohot; 20 December 2011 at 07:34 PM.