Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Private plate advice ??

Search this Thread

Old 18 December 2011, 12:34 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Private plate advice ??

Guys having just changed the plate on my car and put my own plate on retention just wonder if someone could clarify a few things ??

Old number that was previously on my car has been put on retention certificate until it eventually sells which is fine.

2/ New number that is now on the car - should I as a nominee have a certificate for my new plate ?? at time off purchase was sent the V778 to have my own name added, sent this away with the £25 fee and received this back a few weeks later and then had the number transfered to my own car at my local DVLA office, a week later received a new tax disc / mot certificate and V5C certificate all showing the new number. is all that I should now have ie. there is not an actual certificate for the registration itself now ??

3/ Now that I have this plate assigned on my own car does this plate now become mine and I am the Nominee and could sell the plate if I wished at a later date ?? what papwerwork would I require to transfer the plate if it is already on my car as opposed to on a retention certificate ??

4/ if I am not the new grantee and still remain the nominee off this new plate should the previous keeper off the plate have any certificate indicating he is still the grantee himself ??

if anyone is still with me please do advise ??!!
Old 18 December 2011, 01:17 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jono300
Guys having just changed the plate on my car and put my own plate on retention just wonder if someone could clarify a few things ??

Old number that was previously on my car has been put on retention certificate until it eventually sells which is fine.

2/ New number that is now on the car - should I as a nominee have a certificate for my new plate ?? at time off purchase was sent the V778 to have my own name added, sent this away with the £25 fee and received this back a few weeks later and then had the number transfered to my own car at my local DVLA office, a week later received a new tax disc / mot certificate and V5C certificate all showing the new number. is all that I should now have ie. there is not an actual certificate for the registration itself now ??
If the plate is now on your car you are the Grantee not the nominee. You won't have a certificate because the plate is on your car and not on retention.

3/ Now that I have this plate assigned on my own car does this plate now become mine and I am the Nominee and could sell the plate if I wished at a later date ?? what papwerwork would I require to transfer the plate if it is already on my car as opposed to on a retention certificate ??
No, you are now the Grantee, is is your plate. You can sell it as you wish. Transferring it should really be done through a car dealer if you're changing cars, otherwise put it back on retention for an extra £25 if a car change is private.

4/ if I am not the new grantee and still remain the nominee off this new plate should the previous keeper off the plate have any certificate indicating he is still the grantee himself ??

if anyone is still with me please do advise ??!!
You no longer need to be a nominee, you've bought the plate and are now the Grantee (owner). The previous keeper has no more rights to the plate whatsoever.

Last edited by Spoon; 18 December 2011 at 01:18 PM.
Old 18 December 2011, 01:26 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Okay perfect mate really do appreciatte that as to be honest the whole thing is all a bit confusing ??!!

so from what you are saying if I had just been added as a nominee and the plate was still on retention certificate then the previous owner as grantee still had full rights to the plate and its only because I have now transfered the plate to my own car that I become the new grantee - yep ??
Old 18 December 2011, 01:31 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Okay perfect mate really do appreciatte that as to be honest the whole thing is all a bit confusing ??!!

so from what you are saying if I had just been added as a nominee and the plate was still on retention certificate then the previous owner as grantee still had full rights to the plate and its only because I have now transfered the plate to my own car that I become the new grantee - yep ??
Yes, a Nominee is just someone allowed to assign the plate to their car because the Grantee said so. It remains like that until a nominee assigns it to their car and consequently becomes the Grantee.
Old 18 December 2011, 01:50 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Okay thanks again appreciatte that.