Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

British Sport - why all the hype/gnashing of teeth

Search this Thread

Old 18 December 2011, 11:08 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default British Sport - why all the hype/gnashing of teeth

Maybe it's the media or maybe it's just me, but I am getting fed up of hearing all the hype about such and such a team or sportsperson only to read the day after they lose about how it wasn't really their fault, the pitch was bad, they were injured, it was just bad luck etc.

Haye, Khan. Froch, Manchester City/Utd in Europe, cricket in India, England football team, England rugby team, Murray in every tournament that matters etc. etc.

The list is endless.

Just wish the media would reel back on the hype and accept that they are not the best in the world, but pretty good nonetheless and then don't over anlyse their loss to the nth degree as it just makes it worse.
Old 18 December 2011, 11:15 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Maybe it's the media or maybe it's just me, but I am getting fed up of hearing all the hype about such and such a team or sportsperson only to read the day after they lose about how it wasn't really their fault, the pitch was bad, they were injured, it was just bad luck etc.

Haye, Khan. Froch, Manchester City/Utd in Europe, cricket in India, England football team, England rugby team, Murray in every tournament that matters etc. etc.

The list is endless.

Just wish the media would reel back on the hype and accept that they are not the best in the world, but pretty good nonetheless and then don't over anlyse their loss to the nth degree as it just makes it worse.
Sports stars/teams etc are an easy story for the media.

They (the media) can build up somebody or a team then shoot them down at will.

Pretty sad TBH.
Old 18 December 2011, 11:18 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan

The list is endless.

Its the usual thing I think,tabloid style reporting in an effort to sell more papers or get the ratings up.

I agree with what you say. It would be refreshing to see more honest and factual reporting with credit being given where it is due.

Les
Old 18 December 2011, 11:25 AM
Account deleted by request
Scooby Regular

The BBC report on the Froch fight today is a factual, honest and accurate resume of the fight and certainly not biased.

I see plenty of similar articals but if you read the tabloids then you have to understand the market they are written for and what the readership want to read.

Have a friend who works on Fleet Street and he says it is far harder to write for the Sun than the Telegraph as the writer has to "dumb" down his pieces and hold back on how he would naturally write.

Chop
Old 18 December 2011, 12:19 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

And aren't we hosting some sort of competition next year? I'm sure it was mentioned somewhere

dl
Old 18 December 2011, 12:36 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It's based in the East End somewhere!

Les
Old 18 December 2011, 12:39 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Just watch the game/match/race and DO NOT watch or read any of the pre/post/inbetween pre-post-amble/analysis bullcrap.

They have NOTHING to talk about worth listening to....its when they have nothing better to talk about they end up just hyping and bitching, moaning and criticising. Because there is nothing else worth saying.

What is important is the game itself and the end result. Nothing else matters (to me ).

Last edited by ALi-B; 18 December 2011 at 12:47 PM.
Old 18 December 2011, 01:18 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Its the usual thing I think,tabloid style reporting in an effort to sell more papers or get the ratings up.

I agree with what you say. It would be refreshing to see more honest and factual reporting with credit being given where it is due.

Les
Exactly and my comment isn't a criticism of the sportsmen/sportswomen themselves, they are doing their best and not everyone can be a WC?

I just wish we wouldn't get so much hype and analysis and it isn't just the red tops, Sky News, the BBC ... they are all at it!
Old 18 December 2011, 05:16 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

no hype equals no story, and reduction in sales of papers

dont want to read all the sh*t, stop buying the papers and contributing to there existance.
if happy to read the papers as light entertainment, with usually little or no truth then carry on.
until people take the papers for what they are, a fabricated and hyped up version of real life, and stop believing them to be true then little will change.