Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Bradley Manning

Search this Thread

Old 17 December 2011, 11:33 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bradley Manning

The USA soldier facing charges for leaking state secrets.

Since Manning's guilt is not really in question it seems fair to ask what you feel about his behaviour.

Is he a heroic whistle blower who told the world about the darker side of US war mongering which it deserved to know?

Or does he deserve to spend the rest of his days in prison for breaking the rules?

Whatever the outcome I find it staggering that such a low ranking soldier should have access to vast amounts of US secret intelligence.

dl
Old 17 December 2011, 11:50 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
The USA soldier facing charges for leaking state secrets.

Since Manning's guilt is not really in question it seems fair to ask what you feel about his behaviour.

Is he a heroic whistle blower who told the world about the darker side of US war mongering which it deserved to know?

Or does he deserve to spend the rest of his days in prison for breaking the rules?

Whatever the outcome I find it staggering that such a low ranking soldier should have access to vast amounts of US secret intelligence.

dl
What's your opinion, David?
Old 17 December 2011, 12:35 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

From any country's perspective you cannot have people with access to sensitive information going to the press. So whether I agree with it or not, he will be made an example of.

Steve
Old 17 December 2011, 02:09 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boxst
From any country's perspective you cannot have people with access to sensitive information going to the press. So whether I agree with it or not, he will be made an example of.

Steve
I quite agree. He was in a position of trust and as a member of the Service he should never divulge any significant military information especially in the way that he did.

Les
Old 17 December 2011, 03:32 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JTaylor
What's your opinion, David?
Well he is guilty as charged and he broke all the military rules and trust placed in him so I think he has to go to prison but with a little leniency say 10 years?

In mitigation his revelations seems not to have resulted in any very severe consequences for the US aside from a lot of political embarrassment.

Also the military need to get their act together re access to sensitive information which might include psychological tests on thiose holding such information as this guy seems a bit of a screwed up kid.

And bear in mind if this had been a Syrian or Libyan soldier spilling the beans on his own military the guy would be deemed a hero in the Western World.

dl
Old 17 December 2011, 06:41 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
Well he is guilty as charged and he broke all the military rules and trust placed in him so I think he has to go to prison but with a little leniency say 10 years?

In mitigation his revelations seems not to have resulted in any very severe consequences for the US aside from a lot of political embarrassment.

Also the military need to get their act together re access to sensitive information which might include psychological tests on thiose holding such information as this guy seems a bit of a screwed up kid.

And bear in mind if this had been a Syrian or Libyan soldier spilling the beans on his own military the guy would be deemed a hero in the Western World.

dl
I'd issue him with the harshest possible sentence within the realms of the law, excluding capital punishment. I agree with your last paragraph, I had a similar thought myself; it illustrates quite nicely, when inversed, why I wish him punished so severely.
Old 17 December 2011, 08:58 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

So this thread is not about eastenders?