Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Should ambulances have to deal with drunks?

Search this Thread

Old 13 December 2011, 01:06 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should ambulances have to deal with drunks?

Some ambulance services have booze buses designed to carry and treat drunk people, is this right , or shameful?

Just looking at some of the pictures of the LAS's recent adventures in London, and it makes me quite mad.
Old 13 December 2011, 01:24 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

If they need medical attention yes, but otherwise, if he is causing triouble,its down to the cops surely.

Les
Old 13 December 2011, 01:29 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

I suppose the NHS is part funded by the tax on booze so I guess the answer should be yes!
Old 13 December 2011, 01:35 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

<can of worms>

Sane could be said about smokers and fatty's
Old 13 December 2011, 01:42 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ant
<can of worms>

lol have you just taken that reply from my facebook.

Ok, example of what I mean.
3 people go out one night, one smokes 60 ****, one eats way too much McDonalds and the third gets completely wasted.

On the night, which is most likely to require medical attention because of THEIR actions? And is that right? More importantly, is it right that some people expect such fallbacks to be there.

Im not aware of an NHS fatties ambulance or smokers ambulance.
Old 13 December 2011, 02:51 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Depends if they are abusive. If they start lashing out and mouthing off. **** 'em.
Old 13 December 2011, 02:55 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

No I've not been on Facebook all day
Old 13 December 2011, 04:23 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Only if theyre alcoholics
Old 13 December 2011, 05:11 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

You've got to think it's all getting out of hand though? I like a drink and in the old days have had a few sessions where how I got home has been a bit vague the morning after and/or I've been quite sick as a result but I never had to get medical attention for it. Back in my Uni days the group I hung around with could also put it away and enjoyed a night out but again nobody ever required an ambulance!

Just seems that now days it's the done thing to down a bottle of Vodka before even leaving the house and then expect someone else to pick up the pieces later
Old 13 December 2011, 06:09 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

We used to drink vodka before going out helped is get in the mood as going into town sober is crap and get fed up of queuing for drinks, when I was pissed I didn't care

But Never once needed medical help
Old 13 December 2011, 06:22 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ant
<can of worms>

add into that anyone injured playing sports or fooling around, how about a driver who causes an accident through stupidity!
Old 13 December 2011, 06:53 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aspiration, hypoglycaemia and subdural haemorrhage are the nightmare to miss in a binge alcohol abuser, whether you're a paramedic, doctor, police officer etc. Aside from this I would like to lock them all up and throw them in a cell overnight with a £1000 fine the next day in court.

A little time spent in A/E on a Saturday night makes you realise what a dangerous waste of space binge alcohol abusers are. When you are elderly and have a fracture or a major cardiorespiratory illness, having an idiot like this in the next cubicle throwing their 15 stone around whilst they occupy the doctor and nurses that should be treating you is plain frightening and not something any of us should have to put up with in old age. For most it isn't even an illness, just a very weak character and a very odd mainly British phenomenon.
Old 13 December 2011, 07:00 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
Aspiration, hypoglycaemia and subdural haemorrhage are the nightmare to miss in a binge alcohol abuser, whether you're a paramedic, doctor, police officer etc. Aside from this I would like to lock them all up and throw them in a cell overnight with a £1000 fine the next day in court.

A little time spent in A/E on a Saturday night makes you realise what a dangerous waste of space binge alcohol abusers are. When you are elderly and have a fracture or a major cardiorespiratory illness, having an idiot like this in the next cubicle throwing their 15 stone around whilst they occupy the doctor and nurses that should be treating you is plain frightening and not something any of us should have to put up with in old age. For most it isn't even an illness, just a very weak character and a very odd mainly British phenomenon.
Well said.
Old 13 December 2011, 09:19 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

My feelings exactly.
As for the other examples given, personally I dont think they really compare, but thats my opinion. Needing medical attention because you are too drunk to control your own bodily functions is pathetic. Then expecting a medical service to deal with you, for free..... Thats just stupid.

Take a closer look at what the booze bus deals with. Hurting yourself messing about, its silly, but is an accident, if you **** yourself doing a bungee jump you dont call an ambulance. Puke after spinning on a roundabout in play park, you dont call an ambulance to mop you up.... So why should someone who gets so drunk that they cant stand and mess themselves get any help. Learn from it, grow up and stop expecting the NHS to come and make it all better.
Old 13 December 2011, 09:28 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

London Ambulance Service NHS Trust
This young woman was found covered in vomit near Oxford Street. Luckily her friends were there to look after her until the booze bus crew arrived.
Errm, why didnt said friends deal with her!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...-bus-christmas

Make for a good read.
Old 13 December 2011, 09:46 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Joke, isn't it? Some binge drinkers justify themelves by saying that its all fun to lose control like that every now and again or once in a blue moon. Where's the fun in losing one's mind and body (+ dignity in public) with binge spiriting like that?? Freaks.
Old 13 December 2011, 11:20 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
Joke, isn't it? Some binge drinkers justify themelves by saying that its all fun to lose control like that every now and again or once in a blue moon. Where's the fun in losing one's mind and body (+ dignity in public) with binge spiriting like that?? Freaks.
100% agree. Going over the top once, fair enough, but making a habit of it and 'enjoying' it...... seriously
Old 14 December 2011, 02:03 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Can't say fairer than that, and you are in the best position to know of course.

As ever it is down to personal responsiblity in the end, becoming drunk is no excuse for the ensuing bad behaviour. As you say-they should get charged heavily for all the trouble they cause.

les
Old 14 December 2011, 02:10 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought this was all meant to stop when labour introduced 24 hour continental style drinking. I mean the police said it would not work, the doctors said it would not work but Labour knew best.
Old 14 December 2011, 02:35 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

It works on the continent, because they aren't British. Unless its a British holiday resort, of course.....that to me says everything that is wrong with a large proportion of British people.

Plenty of us know when to stop and stagger home whilst we can still walk and get home without leaving pavement pizzas in our tracks, nor without picking fights with the first person that looks at them funny. But, I know plenty of people who can't call it a night. OK, we all did it a few times in our teens, but the novelty quickly wears off though. And I haven't been paralytic since I was 21. Even before then I never ended up in hospitals or cuasing trouble, though I did wake up in a hedge, and did get some nasty injuries from being thrown out of a nightclub (for falling asleep inside).

Maybe having an alcoholic as a dad made me see things differently or learn my limits better?

Stupid thing is, at family events people always assumed I was a tee totaller....they were shocked if they saw me necking pints and shots down the local (in moderation ). To which I quickly set them straight that for once I'm not having to carry/drive the old man back home....Whats worse than being a drunk? Being the designated driver!

Last edited by ALi-B; 14 December 2011 at 02:38 PM.
Old 14 December 2011, 02:44 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kingofturds
I thought this was all meant to stop when labour introduced 24 hour continental style drinking. I mean the police said it would not work, the doctors said it would not work but Labour knew best.
Sorry but you cannot lay this at the door of any political party. People getting drunk is down to themselves and no one else.

On the one hand people say they don't want a nanny state and then here we are blaming the government for ar5eholes that get pissed and end up needing medical help.... so which is it to be?
Old 14 December 2011, 05:04 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

I once saw a drunk person **** their pants.

How people get that drunk is beyond me! Personally I never get like that so it's easy for me to say fu*k them, but I don't think that someone in such a state should be left.
In that state anything could happen, sadly the nhs are obligated to pick up the pieces.

It is wrong that people get in such a state, it's wrong that people have to put up with it, but sadly it has to be dealt with.
Old 14 December 2011, 05:13 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Having been to Magaluf earlier this year for a few days I experienced a whole different side to alcohol abuse. I have to say I was shocked to see exactly what goes on, and how people change after a few.

Being a non drinker 99.99% of my life, I dont usually surround myself with people behaving in such a way, but to have been in the middle of it I NEVER want to drink as much as some people were doing.

Needless to say, I did experiment, but still managed to get home safely and without incident. Not to say that I was not offered a few fights along the way...

Drunken idiots !
Old 14 December 2011, 05:15 PM
scoobeenut
Scooby Regular

Why not use private companies to round them up, corral them all into the booze buses and keep them under observation for their own safety, then in the morning hit them with a massive invoice for the service. Surely this would make the service self-financing and release the burden from the NHS.
Old 14 December 2011, 05:21 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobeenut
Why not use private companies to round them up, corral them all into the booze buses and keep them under observation for their own safety, then in the morning hit them with a massive invoice for the service. Surely this would make the service self-financing and release the burden from the NHS.
Agreed, if there is a proper medical need, take them to hospital. If they are just too drunk to function, as above!

As for those comparing it to other situations, etc, try walking into a BUPA hospital and saying 'im drunk' and expecting them to treat you under your private medical insurance. I think you would end up waking in a cell, and being given a bill courtesy of a public order ticket.
Old 15 December 2011, 12:19 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Alcohol treatment centre for dealing with drunks, so they dont flood A&E... Nice to see them putting people on the floor. Shame they have to do it at all.

Old 15 December 2011, 04:06 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Sorry but you cannot lay this at the door of any political party. People getting drunk is down to themselves and no one else.

On the one hand people say they don't want a nanny state and then here we are blaming the government for ar5eholes that get pissed and end up needing medical help.... so which is it to be?

Maybe the answer is to give really heavy penalties for those who go over the top and cause trouble.

You never know, they might learn a bit of responsibility for their behaviour.

Les
Old 15 December 2011, 04:39 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Mates girlfriend is infrequently taken to hospital ( trips over something usually ) , but isnt violent at all afaik , last time was after a blood test whereupon the doctor himself called an abulance straight away ,shes about 1/2 mile or less from the general hosp.

Even so she kept em waiting 3/4 hr dithering ( and finishing off her cider )

Hearts giving out , less than 6 months left im afriad
Old 15 December 2011, 05:44 PM
need4speeduk
Scooby Regular

Yes. Its called a duty of care and is something we all sign up for regardless of how why when.
Old 15 December 2011, 05:56 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by need4speeduk
Yes. Its called a duty of care and is something we all sign up for regardless of how why when.
I dont 'sign up' to paying for people who behave like this in any way whatsoever.

We all pay for it regardless of if we like it or not, thats for sure!

So its right that people should drink until they cant function, safe in the knowledge that someone will be there to make it all better again.

Quick Reply: Should ambulances have to deal with drunks?