Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Banks on the ball today!

Search this Thread

Old 11 December 2011, 10:13 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Banks on the ball today!

I've made quite a few transactions today on the internet, a few things from Amazon and a few apps from google etc. Anyway can't have come to more than £20 but it flagged something up at my bank (Natwest) and they tried to call me on both numbers I gave them, within a minute of the first call and a left message (I thought it was marketing call) they rang my other phone. I rang my bank on a number I had for them as I was unsure about the number calling. Anyway it was just the unusual amount of transactions I'd made and they had blocked my card we're just checking I still had it and it hadn't been cloned.

Now the Mrs has been trying to purchase some things online and couldn't pay, it kept saying something wrong with her card and as she's just bought weekend away for her parents couldn't think what was wrong. Anyway a quick call to her bank and the exact same thing had happened to her, which considering she banks with Lloyds TSB is quite a coincidence due to it never happening to either of us before.

Just thought I'd share that piece of boring info as it seems the banks are being careful this year and you might find your card suddenly not working.

Aaron
Old 11 December 2011, 11:25 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

It is quite common for card thieves to run through a few small internet transactions to 'test' a stolen card. Then they slam you. Hence your bank checking.

I have the reverse problem - my bank checks with me all the friggin time!
Old 12 December 2011, 01:19 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trout
It is quite common for card thieves to run through a few small internet transactions to 'test' a stolen card. Then they slam you. Hence your bank checking.

I have the reverse problem - my bank checks with me all the friggin time!
Does that surprise you?

Les
Old 12 December 2011, 01:28 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

We've had that when on a splurge in the Trafford Centre. After 10 or 11 different transactions, the card is blocked till I call them to verify it is my wife who thinks that 6 numbers have come up.

I've also had one occasion where I've spent a bit in M&S at one till, gone downstairs and spent another bit. The card company blocks the card in case someone has found your card in the shop and is trying it on.

Steve
Old 12 December 2011, 01:42 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Orange stopped me topping up my PAYG phone by £10 using my HSBC Debit Card.

Since the card and phone are both registered with the same name and address; what's the logic there? If it is me then the transaction is legit.

If someone has nicked my card and used it to top up my phone then either its OK with me, or it isn't and they can easily refund the money. No reason whatsoever to question the transaction.
Old 12 December 2011, 01:53 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Great innit.
Trying being in Australia when it happens. Then try to get the card unblocked.
Then try paying the Hotel bill.

Royal pain in the ****.

Last time it happened was over some office stationary - card blocked and a call from some foriegner of which I refused to talk to (it was legit; it was the bank, but you can never be too sure ).

Yet I buy a £750 telly from Kent online on the same card and not even hear a quibble

The same when I blew £500 in Richer sounds in the city...of which I rarely go into to shop ( once this year ).