Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Heating your home. Thermostat settings.

Search this Thread

Old 05 December 2011, 11:42 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heating your home. Thermostat settings.

May seem a daft question but here it goes.

Me and mrs Ant work in the day so we put the thermostat to the lowest setting so the boiler doesn't come on whilst at work.

Then we set the house temp to 20 for 4 o'clock.

I was told it would save us more money keeping the temp 20 throughout the day ?

Last edited by Ant; 05 December 2011 at 11:46 AM.
Old 05 December 2011, 11:46 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

That is supposed to be an urban myth.
Old 05 December 2011, 11:48 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

I get the theory but would your boiler use more gas , getting the house upti temp then just short bursts to maintain it.
Old 05 December 2011, 12:19 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Im with Dave.
Or get one of those funky thermostats that you can control with your iPhone !
Not because its better, but because you can
Old 05 December 2011, 12:23 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

http://www.nest.com/

I want one !
Old 05 December 2011, 12:53 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

I don't bother me but it does for my 1 year old, I'll give it a try and see how it goes
Old 05 December 2011, 12:57 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Set ours for 16 degrees during the day just so the house never gets to Arctic levels of coldness but it does mean that most of the time it never kicks in. Set for 19 degrees in the evening, completely off overnight, and a short burst at 19 degrees in the morning to take the edge off and so that my towel is warm / dry when I get out of the shower

Seems to do the job for us.

(Programmable thermostat BTW, very useful)

Last edited by Coffin Dodger; 05 December 2011 at 12:58 PM.
Old 05 December 2011, 12:57 PM
Ste RB5138
Scooby Regular

I would guess its false economy to keep the home at a constant temperature while it is empty. I would stick with what you currently do.
Old 05 December 2011, 12:58 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

For god sake are people still using click on click off bi-metallic thermostats?! What is this? 1950's net?

Get a digital proportional one that is programmable. Set it up, then never touch it again! Our Honeywell does winter/summer time automatically so don't need to bother with putting the hour forwards/backwards, sets itself to different temps for different times of the day for each day of the week, has a party mode, holiday mode and its wireless. Next job for me is to dual zone it, so upstairs is independant to downstairs, as there is no point in heating the bedrooms during the day (iphone thingy looks snazzy).

Anyhoo good rule of thumb - think of your house as a giant radiator....it radiates heat, the hotter it is inside and the cooler outside, the more heat it radiates. The cooler it is inside the house, the less heat it loses to its surroundings.

Now we could go into heat transfer coefficients based on the house's construction and insulation, and thermal mass, but regardless it will always lose heat to the outside.

There is a few exceptions and that being if the house has a inefficient/underrrated heating system that is unable to bring the house up to temperature (boiler/radiators too small/badly installed etc) and houses with a large thermal mass (i.e tower blocks etc).

Also if you live in a semi, terraced or flat, and your house is cooler than your neighbour's house then you'll gain free heat from them, it won't be much, but its better than giving them your heat

Last edited by ALi-B; 05 December 2011 at 01:04 PM.
Old 05 December 2011, 01:12 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

It is programmable digital one you pleb !
Old 05 December 2011, 01:12 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Have been thnking of getting a programmable thermostat for some time. One which monitors the temperature and turns the heating on to achieve a particular temperature at a particular time.

ALi-B / Ant what make / model would you recommend? Are they compatible with existing wiring, i.e. straight swap?
Old 05 December 2011, 01:17 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Don't know mine came with the house it's wireless and keep it in the bedroom as the living room gets warm from the av equipment anyways so we was going to bed and it was freezing because it was reading 20degrees in the living room so cut off.
Old 05 December 2011, 01:39 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Despite what many will tell you, I've both seen, and carried out, experiments to see which works best.

Undoubtedly, a well insulated house uses LESS energy keeping it warm all day, than one allowed to heat/cool/heat/cool.

Plus the house is much nicer to come home to.........
Old 05 December 2011, 01:46 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

we don't have a thermostat - our heating is on constantly and we just adjust each radiator.

This is moot really as i'm not precisely sure how much our fuel bills are

i would add that we are middle terrace and have at least double insulation in the loft - to put flooring down in there, they had to add 4" beams. We do have a warm and dry house
Old 05 December 2011, 01:50 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

My house is a frickin nightmare trying to keep warm, something to do with all the cracks in the walls and ill fitting doors lol.

But that said I like to keep it a nice cool 17-18 degrees. My single basic thermo seems to do the trick.
Old 05 December 2011, 01:56 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by speedking
Have been thnking of getting a programmable thermostat for some time. One which monitors the temperature and turns the heating on to achieve a particular temperature at a particular time.

ALi-B / Ant what make / model would you recommend? Are they compatible with existing wiring, i.e. straight swap?

I have a Honeywell CM927. Good unit, marred by somewhat vague instructions. Plus there's a small oddity in regards of boiler cycle rates and minimum burner firing times (default is one minute, max five). So on occasions it'll fire up the boiler for a few minutes then shut off again (this is something to do with its proportional control). Which is a little wastefull IMO, as in our system all that will do is heat the spare room (thats the first room on the pipe run), ideally the minimum 'on time' needs to be more adjustable. Despite this one minute of gas wasteage, its miles better than our previous digital non-proportional thermomostat.

This is wireless, so there is a reciever unit that can be sited by the boiler or wiring junction box. This allows the room unit to be situated anywhere in the house. They also do a wired version which negates the need for a reciever, but needs the correct wires in the room its installed in (switching supply/feed).

It won't do hot water though, so if the heating system also heats a hot water tank, you'll need a seperate timer (or use the existing one).

I can't reccomend any others as the only other previous 'clever' stat/programmer I've used was a AQ6000 which was a self-compensating controller (and was a master at confusing plumbers ).

But I also looked at Worcester Bosch's programmers, one of which features outside temperature compensation and also proportional burner control (i.e high demand, full flame, low demand, low flame, whereas the Honeywell CM927 does this by cycling the boiler on and off). Unfortunately it wasn't compatible with my boiler.
Old 05 December 2011, 02:22 PM
chet123
Scooby Regular

Default settings

Originally Posted by hutton_d
You would need to know how/when your boiler is at it's most efficient. Plus the levels of insulation in the house. Any draughts etc etc. Too many variables to work it out. You'd need to keep readings over several weeks and test out each method. But then you'd also need to keep track of what the outside temperature is, wind speed,etc etc.

Just man up and put on a thick jumper

Dave
I have to agree with Dave here. There are a number of reasons to consider when setting the thermostat. At the end of the day it is upto the setting you feel most comfortable with. If its too cold, turn it up a degree or two, vise versa.

To add to Daves message thermostat settings can also depend on whether you have cavity wall insulation, loft insulation, solid walls, bay windows, draft proofed doors/windows/seals, curtains (to prevent lose of any heat through windows), double glaze windows etc.

Personally, me and my wife have ours set to 22 after 4.30 but during early hours of the monring 20. This keeps the house warm and regulated thus not putting a great demand of the boiler. With a 4 month baby its even more imperative that the house stays warm in winter.

I could probably feel nice and confortable at 21.5 if the themostat had the option so therefore use 22 but on many occasions turn that down to 21 becuase sometimes that temperature keeps the house very warm indeed.

I suppose settings can vary as can conditions. We have a solild walls where alot of heat can escape. Plus our 3 bed semi has the living room facing the outside of the house, meaning heat escapes into the cold walls. If the room was adjacent to the neighbours then there would less heat lose. Anyway hope this helps..
Old 05 December 2011, 02:27 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Got a wireless Drayton programmable thermostat. Does the job nicely. They do both wired and wireless versions.
Old 05 December 2011, 02:56 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Lol my thermostat is set to 20 degrees for a couple hours in the morning and night. It's about 20 degrees round the rad but rest of the room is about 10 degrees Next year.... New boiler and already got rads and TRV's waiting!! Oober cosy and carry around thermostat from a reputable source
Old 05 December 2011, 03:36 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

we have a bi-metal one fitted to the house (new) some 13 years ago. thinking of replacing it with this - thoughts please http://www.amazon.co.uk/Salus-RT500-.../dp/B003EQCTFQ
Old 05 December 2011, 03:47 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

I'd look for one that has either proportional and integral control (TPI or PID ) or one that has an adjustable hysteresis (the temperature swing between on and off), to prevent or adjust for under/overheating and excessive temp fluctations.

Last edited by ALi-B; 05 December 2011 at 04:01 PM. Reason: hysteresis/deadband? meh, close enough!
Old 05 December 2011, 04:05 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Sod you lot. Bunch of tight *****!
Ours is set at between 22-25 degrees depending on how we feel!
I don't like being cold and with a brand new house, our combined gas and leccy bills are only £90 a month!
Old 05 December 2011, 04:14 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I have the temperature set to around 20 and use the timer to turn on the CH at set times during day. It's off after kids have gone to school and the house is empty, then back on for when the kids are back home and then off when everyone is asleep. This works well, but it was a PITA to balance the system, it can be really cold downstairs and really hot upstairs.
Old 05 December 2011, 04:57 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
I'd look for one that has either proportional and integral control (TPI or PID ) or one that has an adjustable hysteresis (the temperature swing between on and off), to prevent or adjust for under/overheating and excessive temp fluctations.
in English? - what would you reccommend
Old 05 December 2011, 05:08 PM
Saint AAI
Scooby Regular

Mine is on all the time and left at 18. The girlfriend is in most of the day and I have seven pets so never bother with the timer. She's always moaning it's too cold, but I moan when it's higher saying it's too hot. It's a pretty new boiler, but a basic one. Seven day programmable timer and a thermostat. She seems to think turning the thermostat up to 30 warms the house quicker lol.
Old 05 December 2011, 05:10 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

And here I am with the heating off sat in shorts and T shirt. The only warmth in the house is the heat from my laptop Still waiting for winter here.
Old 05 December 2011, 06:03 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Zohan
what would you reccommend
Just get a Honeywell CM 927 and be done with it.
Old 05 December 2011, 10:07 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

I use a very simple system when cold I turn the heating on full blast , then when I am hot I switch it off. I just use the timer to warm the house up in the morning.
Old 05 December 2011, 11:25 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ours is set on 19 and is 19 in every room thanks to the nu air air circulator . even the dining room and kitchen which have no rads are 19 , best thing you can buy , they cost £200 quid but you soon get your money back .

Quick Reply: Heating your home. Thermostat settings.