Driving On Mobile

Search this Thread

Old 22 November 2011, 07:26 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Driving On Mobile

If you get the urge to do it..... don't

We've been told by a couple of insurers that a CU80 convicttion (driving when on a mobile) will next year be rated the same as a DR10 (drink driving).
ie... they'll either put a big increase on your policy, or refuse to quote at all.

You have been warned
Old 22 November 2011, 07:28 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

about time
Myles
Scooby Regular

Good! It is not taken seriously at the moment, hopefully the big sting from insurers will deter idiots.
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
If you get the urge to do it..... don't

We've been told by a couple of insurers that a CU80 convicttion (driving when on a mobile) will next year be rated the same as a DR10 (drink driving).
ie... they'll either put a big increase on your policy, or refuse to quote at all.

You have been warned
Cheers for the heads up. Seems a bit harsh!
Old 22 November 2011, 08:34 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 747 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by GlesgaKiss
Seems a bit harsh!
Old 22 November 2011, 08:38 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Don Clark
Care to explain or is that it?
Old 22 November 2011, 08:49 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

About time too, it Makes my **** boil to see people on the phone whilst driving, absolutely no need for it.
Smart phones no doubt add to the problem, checking emails etc.
Old 22 November 2011, 11:14 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 747 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by SRSport
Care to explain or is that it?
What's to explain? I'm assuming you read the quote that was posted with it and the post it came from? and the subject under discussion?

About time something was done to make people sit up and notice that using a mobile whilst driving is against the law.
Old 22 November 2011, 11:18 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Doesn't seem to me that driving while on a mobile is in the same league as drunk driving. you can just drop a phone, but you can't just sober up.

Moley, care to name the insurers? I expect that some will not follow this route and see what extra business they can pick up.
Old 22 November 2011, 11:24 PM
sonicvr6
BANNED

dont most cars and head unit's come with bluetooth any way these days so no real reason to be on it
Old 22 November 2011, 11:29 PM
Frosticles
Scooby Regular

About time. Massive pet hate of mine
Old 23 November 2011, 12:20 AM
jef
Scooby Regular

massive pet hate of mine also

how can hand held or push to talk RT's be legal to use but not mobiles.

im not overly familiar with the law - but from waht i see it assumes people using phones are distracted, and dont have full control of vehicle if an emergency occurs? like changing radio stations,pushing button for electric windows to go down, adjusting electris mirrors, smoking in a vehicle, adjusting rear veiw mirrors, eating, drinking from the cupholders manufactureres provide the list goes on.

ban them all or none imo.
Old 23 November 2011, 01:17 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

I's about ******* time that his got taken seriously

I commute on a motorbike, and young people, especially girls, playing with smart phones whilst driving cause me more scares than anything else these days

They easily outnumber mothers in tanks now
Old 23 November 2011, 02:08 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by speedking
Doesn't seem to me that driving while on a mobile is in the same league as drunk driving. you can just drop a phone, but you can't just sober up.

Moley, care to name the insurers? I expect that some will not follow this route and see what extra business they can pick up.
You mean like the lorry driver who was texting and drove straight into a car killing people inside.

Yeah, really safe!!!
Old 23 November 2011, 06:55 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
I's about ******* time that his got taken seriously

I commute on a motorbike, and young people, especially girls, playing with smart phones whilst driving cause me more scares than anything else these days

They easily outnumber mothers in tanks now
Yup, that's what I see too when on my bike. White van man (and yesterday, big delivery lorry driver at my work too ) also frequent offenders...

Boils my ****
Old 23 November 2011, 06:56 AM
Bean1984
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Hate to say it but it wont stop people doing it. Im sitting in my ambulance in the back atm on the a13. I can see about 5 people on there phones just here
Old 23 November 2011, 07:59 AM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Are there any actual statistics that show what percentage of people who use the mobile cause an accident compared to the number of people who are drunk and then cause an accident?

Its a valid point scooby bigal makes about seeing 5 people on phones. Im guessing non of the caused an accident that day. I wonder whether if there had been 5 drunk people driving past could the same could be said?

*edit* Please dont get me wrong, Im not supporting the use of mobiles at all, just questioning insurance companies comparing them to drink driving charges and hoping it is valid and not just another excuse to shove the price up, as there is too much of that already.

I feel as though this should be justified and a discussion based on stats may be of more use rather than just emotional comments such 'as try telling it to so and so whos daughter died' etc. People die everyday on the road if we take that knee jerk reaction cars will be banned full stop.

Last edited by SRSport; 23 November 2011 at 08:06 AM.
Old 23 November 2011, 08:01 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's a stupid thing to do, much like smoking in your car.

Which hopefully will see a ban soon too.
Old 23 November 2011, 08:14 AM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

While I'm not a fan of people using a mobile when driving or people smoking when driving -& a lot of people don’t need any more distractions than they already have got.
I don’t agree with just banning things - would much prefer to see money & time put into continuous driver education - ie a driver re assessment after a set period eg 5 years. This I think would do more than simply banning things.
Yes we have seen some high profile and very tragic case where deaths have been caused while on phone / texting and driving but see an equal number through drink driving. I’m still not seen anything conclusive that say driving on a mobile is the same as drink driving. The only way I see this going apart from insurance companies using any excuse to extract even more premiums is to have all cars fitted with phone blockers?
Kids crying / arguing in the back are probably the biggest distraction going. Are we going to ban those as well?
Richard
Old 23 November 2011, 08:17 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

It's a shame car Insurance companies don't concentrate fake claims so they don't rip us off with their premiums
Old 23 November 2011, 08:19 AM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

there have been quite a few studies that have shown using a phone whilst driving is actually worse than being over the drink drive limit (no I don’t have any links; Google it)...good work insurance companies and a big f**k you to those that continue to use their phones
Old 23 November 2011, 08:57 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ant
It's a shame car Insurance companies don't concentrate fake claims so they don't rip us off with their premiums
+1.
Old 23 November 2011, 09:11 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Ant
Agreed. Although its clearly unsafe to use a mobile phone when driving, giving the conviction the same loading as a DR10 does seem to like a a good wheeze to make us pay more money for our premiums.

What happens if you want to change the CD in the car head unit whilst driving? What happens if your eating a pastie whilst driving? What happens if the kids start playing up in the back? I thought the smoking was a health issue rather than a distraction issue.

All these things distract us from driving. I think the drinking and mobile phone use are about the only ones that can be detected by the police hence the fines and the insurance loading. Next you'll be the getting a GREGG35 for eating a pastie whilst in charge of a vehicle.
Old 23 November 2011, 09:19 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

In which case i would like to see those who drive without MOT, tax and or insurance treated the same way and also those who drive with bald/illegal tyres!
Old 23 November 2011, 09:46 AM
Moley
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ant
They are

Some companies are now saying rates will level off next year, so no more big increases.
Old 23 November 2011, 09:49 AM
Moley
Sponsor

Originally Posted by EddScott
Agreed. Although its clearly unsafe to use a mobile phone when driving, giving the conviction the same loading as a DR10 does seem to like a a good wheeze to make us pay more money for our premiums.
Not really the case. If they wanted to make money they'd load extra for SP (speeding) offences, but they aren't.

Also, some companies want to refuse any quote for anyone with a CU80 conviction... so they aren't after a penny.
Old 23 November 2011, 09:59 AM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Before they can start loading the Insurance though, the Courts need to be able to convict the driver:

Avon & Somerset Police RPU wrote:Thank you for your E-mail regarding persons apparently using mobile
phones while driving. I apologise for the delay in replying but I needed to do some research before replying. Police officers who have reported persons for this offence are finding that if the motorist pleads not guilty it is increasingly difficult to prove to the satisfaction of the court that the offence under Regulation 110 of the Road Vehicles(
Construction and Use ) Regulations 1986 has been committed. The offence states that:

No person shall cause or permit any other person to drive a motor vehicle on a road while that other person is using -

(a) a hand-held mobile telephone; or
(b) a hand-held device of a kind specified in paragraph (4).

The device referred to in b above is:

A device referred to in paragraphs (1)(b), (2)(b) and (3)(b) is a device, other than a two-way radio, which performs an interactive communication function by transmitting and receiving data.

Hand-held is defined as:

a mobile telephone or other device is to be treated as hand-held if it is, or must be, held at some point during the course of making or receiving a call or performing any other interactive communication
function.

An interactive communication function includes the following -

(i) sending or receiving oral or written messages;
(ii) sending or receiving facsimile documents;
(iii) sending or receiving still or moving images; and
(iv) providing access to the internet;

In order to prove the offence to the satisfaction of the court it is necessary to show that a phone call or interactive communication was taking place at the time the action was witnessed. It is not an offence under this section to be recording dictation, or listening to music etc. The police currently have no power to seize the device. Your "evidence"
will show a driver holding a device and possibly talking, but that does not prove that a phone call or interactive communication was being made at that time. The police often receive calls from members of the public
regarding this topic, and the advice from the CPS is that, even in circumstances such as yours, where you would be willing to make a statement to prove the footage was authentic and to appear in court as a witness to that effect, it would not be possible to prove a phone call or other interactive communication was being made at that time. We are
currently liaising with the Crown Prosecution Service to try to find a solution, but, unless there is a change in the law, we will not be able to proceed on the basis of your evidence alone.
A mate got that email, which makes worrying reading.
Old 23 November 2011, 10:02 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
They are

Some companies are now saying rates will level off next year, so no more big increases.
Until the snow hits uk and then thats their get out clause for hiking them.
Old 23 November 2011, 10:07 AM
Moley
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ant
Until the snow hits uk and then thats their get out clause for hiking them.
There weren't actually that many claims caused by the snow and ice as fas as i'm aware.
Old 23 November 2011, 10:15 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
Before they can start loading the Insurance though, the Courts need to be able to convict the driver:

A mate got that email, which makes worrying reading.

It does but the police can request phone records of calls made/track said mobile between masts for call duration/handovers/interaction/access to internet, though access to internet can be tricky if you use your device as a sat nav for instance, but calls can be tracked with no issues, 2/3g etc.

Tony

Quick Reply: Driving On Mobile