Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Question about pay.

Search this Thread

Old 21 November 2011, 09:18 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about pay.

I left my last job without notice as some are aware on my other thread.

Well I've had my final pay and seem to be missing some .ive queried this and was told you left no notice and it's costs to cover your work.

Well this was stated in my first contract but when my probation came I didn't get offered a permanent contract or written letter offering so.

In my eyes I was not bound to contract as I didn't sign the permanent one as it was not offered.

Where do I stand guys and girls?
Old 21 November 2011, 09:28 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much pay are you short?
Old 21 November 2011, 09:38 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Week and half
Old 21 November 2011, 10:06 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As I understand it, you are required to give notice to get Holiday pay and such, but not to cover work missed when you leave ..

I would get down the CA
Old 21 November 2011, 12:55 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Although you haven't got a physical contract, on the basis that you turned up for work etc there is an implied contract and as such they have duties of care, obligations etc and so do you. One of those would be notice, so if you just leave without giving notice, then they are entitled to withold a certain amount equivalent to the notice period as it is a breach of (implied) contract. In effect, you are after 1/2 week's pay. As said, CAB is the way to go.
Old 21 November 2011, 01:03 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

I would say I dont think you will be seeing that
Old 21 November 2011, 01:39 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

You left without notice man up and accept you left them in the lurch, most people unless it was a situation where it was totally unbearable or life threatening would have given notice and sucked it up while working said notice.
Old 21 November 2011, 02:29 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PaulC72
You left without notice man up and accept you left them in the lurch, most people unless it was a situation where it was totally unbearable or life threatening would have given notice and sucked it up while working said notice.
I'm sorry Ant but I agree with this comment to a degree. I've had a couple of employees do similar over the years and left me in all sorts of short term difficulties and then even expect a glowing reference. I've always paid any outstanding monies but I've drawn a line at the reference. I'm really not sure what the legal stance is with this but I've no doubt the company could demonstrate a financial loss, as a direct result of your actions, equivalent to what they've withheld. I'd suck it up if I was you.
Old 21 November 2011, 02:42 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

In what circumstances can you leave without working your notice? That immigration chap left recently & resigned on the spot didn't he?

TX.
Old 21 November 2011, 03:26 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Terminator X
In what circumstances can you leave without working your notice? That immigration chap left recently & resigned on the spot didn't he?

TX.
But he's aledging contsructive dismissal so thinks he has a point. I left on a simillar tack and as part of the counter-claim the company alledged my breach of contract for not giving/working notice. It was a risk that I took. As it happens, I won so it wasn't an issue.
Old 21 November 2011, 03:33 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PaulC72
I see where you're coming from but due to their lying it left me in financial difficulties so I had no other option but start the new jOb straight away to earn almost double what I was on.

So if I have left them with problems ,good!
Old 21 November 2011, 03:44 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Mission accomplished Ant
Old 21 November 2011, 03:45 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

on the flip side

ive resigned, before and worked my notice.

but the company paid employees 2 days before end of month, sometime you were effecetivley paid in advance.

well i wasnt paid atall, but had all my d.d and standing orders set up - the company thought id take the money and then not come in. so i got a fcking cheque as i was stepping out the door for last time, minus the bonus id been due - as they told me because i was leaving i wasnt entitled to?

a*seholes!!

can see both points, if your employeers treats you like sh*t then what do they expect, but if decent employer do the right thing and work your notice to help them.
Old 21 November 2011, 03:55 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Ive always worked my notice because they've been alright with me. The last place was that good they said I can finish that day and they'll still pay me for my notice period.

This last lot have been nothing but tw@ts and regretted it, it's put me back financially 6months if things didn't change bankruptcy was arOund the corner
Old 21 November 2011, 05:58 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ant
Ive always worked my notice because they've been alright with me. The last place was that good they said I can finish that day and they'll still pay me for my notice period.

This last lot have been nothing but tw@ts and regretted it, it's put me back financially 6months if things didn't change bankruptcy was arOund the corner
If they lied to you so you took the job under false pretences then leaving to goto another job would have been the right thing to do so I will amend in this post my inital comment as it has underlying circumstances.

In relation to being entitled to the pay now, if you feel it was constructive dismissal then seek advise via CAB as they will help you start a preceeding or at least tell you what you need to know.

It also just shows the grass is not necessarily greener on the other side.

I hope you get it sorted out.
Old 21 November 2011, 06:19 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Ant

Gotta love gardeners leave! Wife has to give 6 months notice!
Old 21 November 2011, 07:23 PM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

Ah I love working for me......I can tell myself to fk off on a Friday , then on a Monday I give myself a pay rise and start again
Old 21 November 2011, 07:47 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by jef
on the flip side

ive resigned, before and worked my notice.

but the company paid employees 2 days before end of month, sometime you were effecetivley paid in advance.

well i wasnt paid atall, but had all my d.d and standing orders set up - the company thought id take the money and then not come in. so i got a fcking cheque as i was stepping out the door for last time, minus the bonus id been due - as they told me because i was leaving i wasnt entitled to?

a*seholes!!

can see both points, if your employeers treats you like sh*t then what do they expect, but if decent employer do the right thing and work your notice to help them.

This is why I handed my notice in on the day after pay day. I was paid monthly and the company I worked for had a habit of diddling the wages (overtime, bonuses etc). Once I had my months keep safe in the bank I handed in the notice.

I could handle being a week short on pay...but not a month.

And yes they 'forgot' to pay me at the end of the next month, but after badgering I did get paid for my last week.

I was still short on the previous few month's overtime - I had to write that off as down to experience
Old 21 November 2011, 08:00 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by donny andi
Ah I love working for me......I can tell myself to fk off on a Friday , then on a Monday I give myself a pay rise and start again
how many paid holidays you get? back in ya box
Old 22 November 2011, 06:36 AM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ant
how many paid holidays you get? back in ya box
.....touché
Old 22 November 2011, 01:21 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ant
I left my last job without notice as some are aware on my other thread.

Well I've had my final pay and seem to be missing some .ive queried this and was told you left no notice and it's costs to cover your work.

Well this was stated in my first contract but when my probation came I didn't get offered a permanent contract or written letter offering so.

In my eyes I was not bound to contract as I didn't sign the permanent one as it was not offered.

Where do I stand guys and girls?
Looks like you put yourself in a poor position by not giving notice.

Les