Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Health & Safety

Search this Thread

Old 07 November 2011, 01:03 PM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Health & Safety

There is a fella in my street that is a self employed builder. A couple of years ago he re pointed the cement on the gable end of our house for us.

The job took him a couple of days working from a ladder. He did the same job a couple of weeks ago on another house in the street but this time it took him a week. Most of this time was spent erecting scaffolding due to health & safety regs he now has to follow to.

I can understand the logic behind it but today I saw a instance that took the ****.

They were setting up scaffolding so they could.....

Cut the above hedges.

If anything I think it made the job more dangerous. People tend to come down that bank quite quick and there have been a number of serious accidents. Someone could easily clip the scaffolding.

Especially when the mothers go to pick the kids up from school in their 4x4s further down the bank.

Last edited by ScoobyDriverWannabe; 07 November 2011 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07 November 2011, 01:09 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Health and Safety like most other UK laws don't seem to really have much meaning in my workplace.

Not long ago I noticed that smoke was rising from the wood floor of our storeroom. It was quite clearly an electrical fire due to the smell. When the boss was rang to explain we were evaculating and the fire service was on its way, we were ordered to stay in the building and find the location of the electrical fire. Needless to say I just walked off.
Old 07 November 2011, 01:10 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

I had my conifers cut recently and the pikey just climbed through the trees with his chainsaw like a monkey
Old 07 November 2011, 01:15 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If only everyone was armed with common sense then I feel there would not be the need for all this health and safety legislation. Unfortunately if you have ever seen some of the idiots who they let work on site....
Old 07 November 2011, 01:16 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

I feel sorry for manufacturers of stepladders as they are virtually useless now except in the domestic environment.
Old 07 November 2011, 02:05 PM
scoobeenut
Scooby Regular

There’s absolutely no reason why you can’t still use step ladders even on building sites, as long as you have done your risk assessement, method statement and they are not used for 'prolonged use'.
Old 07 November 2011, 04:14 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kingofturds
If only everyone was armed with common sense then I feel there would not be the need for all this health and safety legislation. Unfortunately if you have ever seen some of the idiots who they let work on site....
There still isn't any need for it as without it the idots will have an accident and die and hence over time the gene pool is cleansed of people of their immense stupidity. All this HSE stuff is preventing the process of natural selection
Old 07 November 2011, 04:35 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Took my boy to the supermarket this weekend so he could pick out some fireworks. They were also trying to get people to try Cabury Chocolate fingers.

He pointed them out (he's only two) and I told him to go over and ask. He was very polite, said please and pointed (not got all the language yet) and the woman handing them out - despite the fact I'm stood about 3ft away told him no!

He went to run off and she explained that due to health and safety and allegies adults had to pass them to children.

Definately a rule put in place by someone with a degree in clipboard holding.

Absolute joke.

5t.
Old 07 November 2011, 04:37 PM
scoobeenut
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
There still isn't any need for it as without it the idots will have an accident and die and hence over time the gene pool is cleansed of people of their immense stupidity. All this HSE stuff is preventing the process of natural selection
Nail on head
Old 07 November 2011, 06:34 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by f1_fan

Yep, I've had the same conversation with a pal! We decided that to cure the world's overcrowding problem the HSE guff should be abandoned, wild animals should be released in public areas to cull people too gormless to run away and anyone who fails to be selected by the judges of X Factor, BGT et al should be shot.

Old 07 November 2011, 06:49 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

its a shame, but think its because of the american sueing culture ending up here, companies have to protect them selves and as such these ridiculous things are put in place,

but originates from greedy people trying to make a fast buck in the first place
Old 07 November 2011, 06:58 PM
richiewong
Twatful

Talking

Nicked off Paul Palmer on FB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-mLX...layer_embedded
Old 07 November 2011, 07:19 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just about spat my water out all over the keyboard watching that!
Old 07 November 2011, 07:28 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Young lad near where our French house is, runs his own woodyard. they buy in trunks of various trees and saw em to length and then run them through a HUGE bandsaw to make planks.

The bandsaw is old and has almost no guards. When it's running it makes a noise like a jet running up, it fair whistles, the blade is about 20 feet long and about 8" across.

The other day thwe blade came off while he was operating it. It smashed the door off the cabinet that covers the motor part, and lashed out at him, causing injuries to his face.

he had six stiches in a head wound that JUST missed an eye, three stiches in a wound that JUST didn't sever his nose, and three more in a deep cheek wound.

Yet he will be "allowed" to continue to use that saw in exactly the same condition..........

The French, by the way, ARE subject, supposedly to the same laws we are regarding H&S.
Old 07 November 2011, 07:33 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by richiewong

At least he wasn't hurt too much..

Elf and safety gone MAD these days,Hows about common and sense.

Just to add You can **** off WHOAAAAAA

Last edited by DYK; 07 November 2011 at 07:36 PM.
Old 08 November 2011, 12:02 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

We were always brought up to develop a sense of awareness, to accept that we need to look out for our own safety, and how to find a way to be able to do things for ourselves.

Going through life expecting someone else to always tell you how to lead your own life and to keep you safe is an unnecessarily dangerous business.

Les