Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Another cat thread - fleas!

Search this Thread

Old 07 November 2011, 09:29 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Another cat thread - fleas!

I am at my wits end with my cats and fleas.

I've got a a boy and a girl about 2 years old (twins we call them) and we have had a terrible time with fleas.

We just can't get rid of them and the vets have given us Frontline which I don't think is working. We've also got a big can of spray which we spray round the house once a week and nothing is working.

I'm putting the frontline on them every month - no early so I don't poison them. And spray once a week just before we all go out for the day to work and school.

We do all this to the cats and the house and within 24 hours we find them. Either on the cats or on us. My daughter is regularly covered in bites. Every morning she has fresh ones.

We've stopped them going into the bedrooms and if we are out all the doors are shut save the hallway and kitchen (if they are in)

I've had cats since I was a teenager and have never had a problem with fleas like I have with these. I'm at the stage where I'm seriously considering giving them both up.

Anyone have any advice?
Old 07 November 2011, 09:46 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

get a flea comb and enjoy killing them, they pop nicely when they die,
Frontline does work, you may find they eggs are hatching and then the frontline will work, it doesnt kill the eggs until they hatch and become proper fleas,
Mr Pets is cheaper then your vets also, I get 6 for less then most pay for 3 from their Vets,
Make sure your cleaning any beds where they sleep in as fleas can lay dormant for a long time.
Old 07 November 2011, 10:02 AM
BurgerKing
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My vets have moved on to Advocate drops these days for flea treatment, they seem to think it's more effective than Frontline. It's probably the opposition spreading false rumours but they were talking about Frontline resistant super-fleas!
Old 07 November 2011, 10:02 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Fleas get into sofas, mattresses, bedding and even under laminate flooring, etc and lay eggs, you need to find where they have dug in and treat that properly. There are likely to be dug into more than one place. look for a concentration of flea dirts as a clue.

Airing cupboards and wardrobes are another fave haunt of the little *******!

we found a 'nest' in the blanket box in our room and they had got under the laminate flooring underneath the box. Treated that, hoovered the area several times with a spray and treated the cat too. This finally did the job.

Good luck

Last edited by The Zohan; 07 November 2011 at 10:41 AM.
Old 07 November 2011, 10:24 AM
Freelance Badger
Scooby Regular

Fleas LOVE biting me ! But my cat wears a glow-in-the dark flea collar (changed on a regular basis) and I have never had problems at at all with them and my cat is in and out the house all the time...
Old 07 November 2011, 10:27 AM
DonNedly
Scooby Regular

I have had a similar problem in the past when we had 4 cats.
Get the professionals in mate. Everybody out the house including cats, vacuum everything, they come spray the whole house down, you frontline the cats and go back 4 hours later. Worked for me.
Another option is to not let the cats outside as that is where they are getting them from.
Old 07 November 2011, 10:37 AM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

You need Frontline to kill the adults, and Program which makes the eggs sterile (active for 6 months). It's like putting fleas on the pill. :thumb

http://www.program.novartis.us/cats/inject-about.htm
Old 07 November 2011, 10:51 AM
oobyJu
Scooby Regular

you're all mad and soft don't let them anywhere near your bedrooms or soft furniture they walk in and lick pi*s and sh*t !! better still drown them all as they're the reason there are no birds anymore, non indigenous useless parasites but according to the police i can't shoot them

Last edited by oobyJu; 07 November 2011 at 10:53 AM.
Old 07 November 2011, 11:02 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by oobyJu
you're all mad and soft don't let them anywhere near your bedrooms or soft furniture they walk in and lick pi*s and sh*t !! better still drown them all as they're the reason there are no birds anymore, non indigenous useless parasites but according to the police i can't shoot them
Prat!

Les
Old 07 November 2011, 11:09 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Family out the house, and the cat. Spray the cat like mad, and use tablet form too, flea bomb the rooms of the house, and if it doesnt kill every single one I will be surprised.

We had an outbreak with the dogs a couple of years back. Bombed the house, gave them tablets, and sprayed them (hard with thick coats), and then maintained with aerosol flea spray daily for a week or so. Went from horrific to terrific in a week.
Old 07 November 2011, 11:10 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice guys. oldspice - I'll check out program.

I've got one more round of Frontline to use and will spray after hoover tomorrow morning - been told hoovering agitates the eggs and causes them to open so hopefully spraying soon after should help.

Will get Advocate too. I've heard others say fleas have become immune to Fronline.

Trolling
Reported post for trolling. Grow up or get out
Old 07 November 2011, 11:11 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Prat!

Les
Old 07 November 2011, 11:14 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-x-Johnso...item58903cde7b

My suggestion

Will also get rid of all the spiders that are coming in too lol, in fact, anything small, that breathes in some way.

Last edited by Snazy; 07 November 2011 at 11:18 AM.
Old 07 November 2011, 11:15 AM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

You really are a complete ****. Now **** off.
Old 07 November 2011, 12:00 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by oldsplice
You really are a complete ****. Now **** off.

Well - I would get rid of the idiot post but you're all having fun slating him (plus I'd lose half the thread removing quotes)

Suffice to say: Nuggin noted
Old 07 November 2011, 12:05 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Maybe you could teach your cats to do what foxes do in the wild...

The fox gathers up a ball of sheep's wool found around the sheep's regular scratching areas, on barbed wire fences, etc. It then heads off to the nearest pond, lake, river or stream and then while holding the ball of wool in its mouth slowly reverses into the water.

As he is doing this the fleas move along the fox to save themselves from drowning and as they get to the snout jump onto the wool that the fox is holding in his mouth. Once the fox is almost completely submerged he tosses the wool ball away into the water thus getting rid of all the fleas that were there. The fox is now free of most if not all of his fleas for another month or two

Either that or just get shot of the cats.
Old 07 November 2011, 12:22 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Well I have to say that those foxes are pretty clever at working things out then.

I have always found that trick works really well when I get into my bath!

Les
Old 07 November 2011, 12:29 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger
Maybe you could teach your cats to do what foxes do in the wild...

The fox gathers up a ball of sheep's wool found around the sheep's regular scratching areas, on barbed wire fences, etc. It then heads off to the nearest pond, lake, river or stream and then while holding the ball of wool in its mouth slowly reverses into the water.

As he is doing this the fleas move along the fox to save themselves from drowning and as they get to the snout jump onto the wool that the fox is holding in his mouth. Once the fox is almost completely submerged he tosses the wool ball away into the water thus getting rid of all the fleas that were there. The fox is now free of most if not all of his fleas for another month or two

Either that or just get shot of the cats.
Really? That is impressive. Alas my male cat appears to only have enough going on upstairs to remember to eat and breath (in that order)
Old 07 November 2011, 12:29 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
Well - I would get rid of the idiot post but you're all having fun slating him (plus I'd lose half the thread removing quotes)

Suffice to say: Nuggin noted

Well, quite honestly it gets on my wick. Same with Lee's thread. Why post nasty comments? It just shocks me how many vicious gits there are out there. I don't like kids, but I wouldn't dream of posting that they should be shot/drowned on anyone's thread, because that would be unacceptable behaviour. And believe it or not, I do possess some degree of sensibility.
Old 07 November 2011, 01:35 PM
Saint AAI
Scooby Regular

I always use Frontline and it has worked in the past. Recently had my two youngest cats into the vets for the snip and for chipping, they rang me up to say there were infested with fleas? Don't know if the vets were trying it on, but told them I hadn't noticed any and that they were both treated with Frontline a couple of weeks pior. They told me that recently there seems to be a resistance to Frontline and could they go ahead and treat them with Advocate. They've had the extra treatment, but I've still not found any fleas. Also I'm due to give the house a going over with RIP fleas spray so will get that sorted.
Old 07 November 2011, 01:40 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Fleas are known to lay in wait around gardens and outside you house... Fortunately winter is near so any lurking around the outside will soon die off...

all I can say is don't come near me! Fleas love my blood...